+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default .25 mg Propecia - thoughts?

well, I am 4 1/2 months off of propecia and the inevitable is taking place. I am slowly losing my hair...it's thinning. I think I am somewhat lucky because I have curly hair and I will eventually have a 'diffuse' hair loss which means I expect to be thin all over but never necessarily 'bald' (that is at least the case with my two older brothers).

I got off the drug because I got terrified about the potential of long-term sides. The side that most terrified me was 'penile shrinkage'...I am still not sure if this drug can do that.

The hair loss has been bothering me and some days are worse than others. I am having some thoughts about maybe trying to go back on the .25mg. I'd be curious to hear some feedback.

(a) .25mg - do you think it's worth it? I would get the benefit or it is a situation of take the 1mg or don't take it at all?

(b) is taking this drug worth the risk? I have experience with it's performance (it regrows and keeps my hair) but is that worth the risk?

thanks,

You were already on propecia and didnt have sides?

why'd you get off? It's perfect for those that dont experience sides.

This is literally the ONLY drug that can help tide us over until the next cycle of products(Bim, Aderans, Histogen). Minoxidil seems to only slow the loss a little. Fin can actually stabilize your loss.(and potentially grow some as well.)

Hi,

The fear that I struggle with is the potential for long term sides. I know that there is a lot of hysteria on the Internet and I have no doubt with time there will be clinical proof to prove that it was just that (hysteria). But I just have that fear if what if maybe there is some truth to the long-term sides then what? Will my hairs be worth it?

That is the debate I struggle with. And that is why I got off the drug. Don't get me wrong as some days I just want back on because it works amazing and other days I get consumed by the fear I outlined above.

thanks,

A) yea go ahead and try out .25mg. You lost a lot of hair because you stop taking propecia. Some of it may not come back.

B) Depends on how much you like hair.

I'm only taking .25 mg too as I tell myself "that can't possibly be enough for long term sides".

However you are still inhibiting virtually the same amount of DHT as if you were taking 5mg. It is the DHT blocking which creates the sides, so at the end of the day does it matter?

Regardless, I think common sense dictates that there is no sense taking a higher dosage if a lower dosage is just as effective.

Regardless some side effects that some may experience with Fin(and i know that some of them are more than legitimate),

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post

I got off the drug because I got terrified about the potential of long-term sides. The side that most terrified me was 'penile shrinkage'...I am still not sure if this drug can do that.
    This paragraph resumes all my research about Fin and people who got sides with.. If we´d mix all the bad stories of Propecia in a blender, the result would be something like this:

"I went off Propecia because...sides(5 paragraphs later)...although..i´m not sure..."

You guys can do a search on this forum only, and see what i´m talking about.

I had terrible sides on 1mg, and I dropped to .25mg ed. My sides are practically nothing now, just some decreased libido. I also have started taking 30mg of zinc a day as well as a multivitamin that has definitely helped combat my minimal sexual sides. I would strongly suggest taking zinc and a multi v.

Has anyone been taking .25mg for decent period of time?

notdyingbald, my point is simply that right now there is no clinical data that proves or disproves that fin causes long-term sides. It's very likely that in 5 years clinical data will prove that fin is 100% safe once someone gets off the medication. However, that doesn't exist today. Now that doesn't mean that nobody should be on fin but rather you should be on it if the small potential risk of long-term sides causes you less anxiety than losing your hair.

feartheloss, have you seen results on .25mg of fin?

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    notdyingbald, my point is simply that right now there is no clinical data that proves or disproves that fin causes long-term sides. It's very likely that in 5 years clinical data will prove that fin is 100% safe once someone gets off the medication. However, that doesn't exist today. Now that doesn't mean that nobody should be on fin but rather you should be on it if the small potential risk of long-term sides causes you less anxiety than losing your hair.

feartheloss, have you seen results on .25mg of fin?
    I have researched it thoroughly and seen that a few people have posted that they have had regrowth and thickening and .25mg ed. Also some that have had it with .25mg eod. The longest period of time I have seen it been used is 8 years and had maintenance. I just want to talk to some more people about it. More than likely, in 5 years there will be something better than fin with all the research going on now, but we need to hold over with this for now.

I also was at a highly respectable clinic a week ago and the doctor talked to me about the last international hair conference and how propecia is being used at different doses. He said that almost every doctor there agreed that .5mg was as good as 1mg...and a lot of them agreed that .25mg was just as good as well.

Also, in Japan, propecia is sold at a .2mg dose.....that obviously tells you something.