+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm balding

Default I'm balding

So I was on Accutane for several months and at high dosages. I stopped taking it about June 2012. I have done this at various times in my life and this most recent time, a friend pointed out my thinning hair (when my hair was wet) around March.

At first, it was only really noticeable when wet and I had read that Accutane could cause temporary hair loss. So I figured it'll grow back.

I attached a picture, it has not grown back. In fact, it has worsened to the point it looks really bad when wet, and as you see in the picture when dry. The thinness also seems to be "spreading" forward towards my forehead.

I did a pluck test to test for "miniaturization" and the hair in my thin areas seem just as full as in my thick areas.

I've just bought Nizoral shampoo, ordered Nioxin shampoo which should arrive this week. I've also purchased Biotin, started taking a multivitamin, saw palmetto, and green tea extract. I ordered pantothenic acid (I've taken this before for acne), Lecithin, and Resveratrol as well and they should arrive next week.

I will schedule a doctor's appointment as well and get my thyroid and hormones checked.

What else should I ask the doctor?

How late is "too late" for "the big 3". And is there a less risky alternative than Finasteride? Permanent undesired side effects scare me now... as the hair loss seems to be a result of the Accutane. I don't want to compound the problem into something worse than hair loss.

I would like to avoid treatments that have strong side effects / many reports of side effects. I think I'll try the supplements and getting healthier, and if that doesn't work, adding Minoxidil. And if that doesn't work... I guess I'm out of luck because Finasteride scares me.

Thoughts? When should I add the Minoxidil?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg

Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	18646  

Quote Originally Posted by concernedand33 View Post
    So I was on Accutane for several months and at high dosages. I stopped taking it about June 2012. I have done this at various times in my life and this most recent time, a friend pointed out my thinning hair (when my hair was wet) around March.

At first, it was only really noticeable when wet and I had read that Accutane could cause temporary hair loss. So I figured it'll grow back.

I attached a picture, it has not grown back. In fact, it has worsened to the point it looks really bad when wet, and as you see in the picture when dry. The thinness also seems to be "spreading" forward towards my forehead.

I did a pluck test to test for "miniaturization" and the hair in my thin areas seem just as full as in my thick areas.

I've just bought Nizoral shampoo, ordered Nioxin shampoo which should arrive this week. I've also purchased Biotin, started taking a multivitamin, saw palmetto, and green tea extract. I ordered pantothenic acid (I've taken this before for acne), Lecithin, and Resveratrol as well and they should arrive next week.

I will schedule a doctor's appointment as well and get my thyroid and hormones checked.

What else should I ask the doctor?

How late is "too late" for "the big 3". And is there a less risky alternative than Finasteride? Permanent undesired side effects scare me now... as the hair loss seems to be a result of the Accutane. I don't want to compound the problem into something worse than hair loss.

I would like to avoid treatments that have strong side effects / many reports of side effects. I think I'll try the supplements and getting healthier, and if that doesn't work, adding Minoxidil. And if that doesn't work... I guess I'm out of luck because Finasteride scares me.

Thoughts? When should I add the Minoxidil?
    If its just the accutane that has caused your hair loss and its not hereditary hair loss then I would suggest using minoxidil twice a day and nizoral shampoo twice a week.
    If it's male pattern baldness i.e your genetics then the only other thing that will help you is finasteride. Thats it, the big 3, anything else and you're wasting your time and money, Biotin, green tea extract, multi vitamin wont do anything to arrest it, I'd say that Biotin is snake oil and you've wasted your money.
    You need to know whats causing the hairloss, if its just accutane then stopping it and using minoxidil and nizoral for a year or so should fill your crown back in and then problem solved. If its Male pattern baldness then minoxidil and finasteride and nizoral are your options. Personally if you get sides from finasteride its not worth it and acceptance is what you should aim for.