+ Reply to Thread

Default HT Growth Timeline

I received a transplant Dec 2012, so I'm just past the 1 year mark. My transplanted hairs have definately grown, but there isn't that "fullness" yet. I had the frontal area done and had about 3900 grafts placed.

I've heard and read two different things:
    1. HT growth will be fully completed in 12 months

2. HT growth will take up to 18 months.

Does anyone have a better idea of when one could expect full growth?

I speak to many guys from various Doc's about their concerns with growth and time scales.

Its vital that guys embarking down the HT road understand that they are not going to get the full result from their HT until 18 months at least...

Nevermind 3/4 months..... which for some reason seems to be the bench mark for the day they wake up and its all over.

So many guys email me concerned that at 6 - 8 months they have not seen any growth yet And that they think heir HT has been a failure !

I think everyone needs to be made aware that even after a whole year there is still a great deal more in store, ie thickening and maturing.

Months 8-18 are just as important in terms of growth, maturing, thickening as the first 8 months in my opinion. The success of your HT can only be determined after 18 months especially if you are a slow grower as well
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Nish View Post
    I received a transplant Dec 2012, so I'm just past the 1 year mark. My transplanted hairs have definately grown, but there isn't that "fullness" yet. I had the frontal area done and had about 3900 grafts placed.

I've heard and read two different things:
    1. HT growth will be fully completed in 12 months

2. HT growth will take up to 18 months.

Does anyone have a better idea of when one could expect full growth?
    Nish,

I think you meant that the date was Dec, 2011? That would put you at just over one year.

I agree with Spexx and why I am an advocate of waiting at least one year before doing a subsequent procedure.

Let me explain. After 12 months post-op, whatever grafts were implanted should have sprouted by the one year mark. Sprout meaning, the follicles have rested, shed, and re-entered the growth phase and ideally grew hair shafts long enough to be visible above the scalp line. Obviously there are going to be a few exceptions, but this has been my general observation of many patients.

As I have stated form time-to-time, it's the additional gains in hair length and also caliber maturation of the hair shafts themselves. In other words, the visual gains after 12 months are more attributed to each hair shaft gaining full caliber between the 12th month and the 18 month mark. And some docs have stated this process can even last up until 24 months regarding caliber maturation. IMHO, I think at the 14th to 18 month mark is when the full visual benefit can be most farly evaluated. There are patients that are sooner, some later, everyone's different.

But what holds true for everyone is that "the better degree of hair caliber, the better gains in visual coverage". I still remember after my third HT, I could still see some light reflecting off of my scalp in the frontal zone. Then at approximately 15 months post-op, it was like magic. I could no longer see scalp and my hair just looked plain thicker! All along the way I watched the grafts grow and they definitely gained in caliber as the months flew by, but still, the real visual gain came after 12 months.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Spex and Gillenator - Thanks for you detailed replies.

Gillenator - You're correct, I had my transplant done on Dec 2011. I had it done with Dr. Lindsey, who I have FULL confidence in. I'm at about 12.5 months, and alot of hair has sprouted and there is a major difference between the crown region (where I didn't have a HT) and the front/midscalp (where I had the HT). You were spot on with your comments regarding seeing light shining off my scalp, as that's pretty much what I'm experiencing right now. Sounds like I have a few more months to go. I started taking Biotin and am considering MSM. I do not currently take Propecia, but do use Rogaine.

Default Something I still don't get

I posted this on another section of the forum but no one replied: what I don't understand about the hair growth "timeline" is that if all grafts were placed at the same time, shed within two weeks to a month (mine shed at two), then go into a 3-4 month resting stage... why do they all sprout at different times throughout the next year rather than all together? Shouldn't they all recover from the resting stage at the same time? I have pretty significant hair growth for 4.5 months after a 4000-graft transplant; however, it's very thin and almost looks like a bad combover. If I look closely at the grafts - all about an inch to 1.5 inches long - I can see they're growing very close together, and can't imagine another one sprouting between the grafts because there's not enough room. My hair is naturally very thin. I realize 4.5 months is almost nothing in terms of time, but I have a strange feeling "this is it." Ansolutely nothing has grown within the the last month. What can I expect re: future growth, if any? Any help with these two questions from other members or a doc would be greatly appreciated... I can't seem to get anyone to provide an answer.