+ Reply to Thread

Default Rogaine, Biotin, Wig, Toppik?

As the title implies, I am starting Rogaine (still building the courage to actually start it) for a slightly thinning crown. I have been told that Rogaine works well on the crown and I am too scared of Propecia.

1.) Should I use a special shampoo? I hear good things about Nizoral and Nioxin.

2.) Which Rogaine is the best? I figured that the 5% foam would be best and I would try to gradually move up to twice a day to avoid the shed.

3.) Does anyone know if wigs can be used for just a bald spot? They seem to omly be for NW 7's, etc.

4.) My buddy swears by Biotin. Can I use it with Rogaine?

5.) Is Toppik OK? I am 6'3'' so I feel like it might be an OK concealer in a pinch.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by InitialStages View Post
    1.) Should I use a special shampoo? I hear good things about Nizoral and Nioxin.
    For your every day washing, it is best to use a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner - or a 2-in-1 if your hair is short and you don't want to use a separate shampoo and conditioner.

It is a good idea to wash your hair with Nizoral once a week in place of your regular shampoo. Non-presciption strength Nizoral is getting pretty hard to find. Ask your doctor for prescription strength Nizoral.

Nioxin does absolutely nothing to treat hereditary hair loss.

2.) Which Rogaine is the best? I figured that the 5% foam would be best and I would try to gradually move up to twice a day to avoid the shed.
    The 5% foam is the best. It is best to start slow and work up to the normal twice per day dose. To start off, use it only once a day every other day for that first bottle. Then use it once a day every day for the next bottle. Then use it twice a day every day from then on.

You are not likely to completely prevent shedding because shedding needs to happen. Shedding is part of the process of treating hereditary hair loss - but you can reduce the emotional effect by tapering up slowly as described above.

3.) Does anyone know if wigs can be used for just a bald spot? They seem to omly be for NW 7's, etc.
    Yes they do come in different sizes, including small ones that cover just the bald spot.

4.) My buddy swears by Biotin. Can I use it with Rogaine?
    Biotin does absolutely nothing to treat hereditary hair loss. However it does not hurt to take it if you want to (I do). Yes you can take Biotin with Rogaine.

5.) Is Toppik OK?
    Toppik is O.K. but Dermmatch is far superior over Toppik or any other fiber based hair loss concealer. I used Toppik for a while myself but after switching to Dermmatch I will never switch back. Toppik is just "O.K." - but Dermmatch is amazing.

Thanks for the quick response!

1.) Any recommendations for a brand for the daily shampoo/conditioner?

2.) Does Dermmatch cause any damage? It does not seem that way, but every once in a while someone seems to claim that it causes problems. I plan on using it with Rogaine, as Dermmatch's website seems to work better.

3.) Finally, what is a good place to look for wigs? Any brands?

Thanks!

1.) Any recommendations for a brand for the daily shampoo/conditioner?
    You can use any brand you like - as long as it's sulfate free. Personally, I like Aveeno's "Pure Renewal" shampoo and conditioner. Aveeno also has a 2-n-1 version of Pure Renewal.

2.) Does Dermmatch cause any damage?
    Some concealers may cause damage but Dermmatch does not.

3.) Finally, what is a good place to look for wigs? Any brands?
    I thnk you are probably putting the cart before the horse here but when I was wearing hair, I went to a local wig shop that cateres to cancer patients. I recommend you do the same. I do not know what brands the wigs and toppers I was using were. They looked great. That's all that mattered to me. Haha