+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post The truth about this forum: USELESS

guys,

i have been considering a HT for nearly 2 years. I did my homework, surfed the web, this forum too... the true? I haven't been able to make an informed decision yet and THIS FORUM hasn't helped AT ALL.

Why? You can never find a straight (or consistent) answer about any doctor, there is a lot confusional info about the same doctors, too less about others.
    On top of that this website is infested with assistants on payroll of very famous clinics [Unsubstantiated claims removed]. The results? You can't really trust anyone.

I wish this place was filled with people with their own REAL stories, experiences, feedbacks. I wish all the threads were more concerned on the REAL point, i.e. sharing useful info on clinics, other than trying to appear smarter or more informed on the topic. I could go on forever with my "wish list".

If there was anybody who would be able to make me change my mind and help me making a REALLY INFORMED DECISION, I am here to hear. Looking forward to it.

You search the forum.... same names (True&Dorin, Feller, Bernstein, Hasso&Wong,....), same doubts. Sorry.... I live in NYC and willing to travel for a really good doctor.
    Last edited by Winston; 01-07-2013 at 06:57 PM.

I'm not sure what you're looking for; there are PLENTY of HT patients here who have shared their stories and pictures. And while yes, there are paid reps that post here, they ALWAYS identify themselves in their signature blocks. And besides, these guys have developed reputations in the industry for being ethical and forthright. Moreover, only IAHRS-approved surgeons are allowed to post here, which means that you're dealing exclusively with the most honest and thoughtful doctors in the field. If they were caught doctoring pictures in any way, they would be bounced out of the organization.

And hey... if you're in NYC, you're very close to one of Alan Feller, one of the world's great HT surgeons. I've seen numerous users post pictures of his work, and it's incredible.

I am looking for REAL answers. And just to be upfront... [Unsubstantiated claims removed].

In any case... all I am looking for is real feedbacks. You have seen pics, great. I can see them too online. My question is: did you have a procedure with him?

If yes please share.. if not... well then you are not extremely helpful.

Sorry, I just feel lost.
    Last edited by Winston; 01-07-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Well, the first trick might be adopting a slightly less contentious attitude towards users who are trying to respond to your concerns.

I'd be surprised if the clinics hired unidentified users to "clear out" the comments threads; that would jeopardize their IAHRS membership. Why are you so certain that this is taking place?

If you don't feel as if I'm being helpful for suggesting Dr. Feller, then fine. But I'm trying to help you identify some outstanding surgeons that might be options for you. If you feel lost, don't dismiss people who try to point the way for you. Go to the transplant-specific section here and use the search function to locate threads by Dr. Feller's patients. I really think that 90% of the information you want is here; pictures and stories by the patients themselves that don't emanate from the clinics.

And the reason you see some of the same names over and over is because they're the most accomplished doctors, with lots of satisfied patients that are eager to share their results. If you want to be conspiratorial and believe that everything posted here is a lie, that's your prerogative, but the information you want is all around you.

I mean: what about threads like the one I've copied below are not of use to you? This is an actual patient of Dr. Feller's, posting his own pictures, sharing his own story, with periodic updates so we can all track his progress. What more, precisely, do you want--a dozen patients to show up on your doorstep so you can personally inspect them?

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...ghlight=feller

I sincerely thank you for your response and apologize if I may have resulted in appropriate manners or attitude. this may be the results of endless useless searches .. so thank you.

I will consider Feller... although I have had a few consultations, specifically with True & Dorin, Thomas Law, to name a couple in NY.

Any insights on these?

The reason I am "sure" about what I wrote is because yes... prob those names are the same because they are very famous, but you know that to appear on a magazine as one of top rated doctors all you have to do is pay some bucks?
    This to say, not always the most famous are the best....

also... what about Dr Epstein?

No worries. And I'm working late, so I'm a little testy.

Here's the nice thing about the IAHRS: it's really selective. You can't just buy your way in. Spencer Kobren, who founded the IAHRS, envisioned it as a consumer advocacy group designed to protect patients from bad transplant work, so it's not a question to money to be let in. I've spoken with IAHRS surgeons, and they'll testify to how onerous the admission process is. And once they're in, they're not in for life; just ask Bill Rassman, who is no longer a member. And once a member is removed or an applicant is declined, that's it: they're out for good. So you can feel good about patronizing any IAHRS surgeon. It's just a question of finding someone who's a good fit for you, and has a track record of creating the kind of results you're looking for. So while it may be true that some publications will tout someone as "the best" for a fee, that isn't the case with the IAHRS. There *is* an application fee to keep the organization funded, but that's irrespective of the admission process. They only admit a minority of HT surgeons out there. There are over ten surgeons in my state (Washington), for instance, but NONE are IAHRS members.

I'm not familiar with Thomas Law, but I've seen results from T&D and they're sensational. You should really feel to chime in on any threads opened by patients of the doctors in whom you're interested. People are here to share, so they'll be glad to answer questions, either publicly or privately, about their experiences.

I guess all I want is a good HT; that's it. But you know, this is a tough world, a lot of scams and... at the end it is your life that gets affected. You really want to make a good decision.
    So far, in my experience, I have had a few consultations, but for a reason or another no one really ever convinced me to the fullest. I guess I will have to do a lot more searches and rely on the info I find here.. there is nothing else out there as an alternative source of information. I guess I never considered feller because I do not want my head shave, I think he goes for that although I am not sure.

Here are 85 pages of posts showing results, I'm not sure if you already looked at it.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Like Win said...basically only the finest doctors are allowed to post here from what I understand.

But I'm sure one or two have made mistakes in the past. With the technology available today, there really isn't any excuse for a botched transplant now from these surgeons, if someone received a poor transplant recently and it was the negligence of the surgeon, we would hear about it, I would think.