+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mature hairline or progressive hair loss?

I need some guidance please.

My bf (26 yrs old) has what I call a great looking mature hairline but he is very concerned that it will continue to recede. What things should he be looking for? He tried fin every other day for a few weeks but felt like he was developing sides. I have done a lot research on hair loss and want to provide good advice; especially because the worry about what might happen brings him so much stress. But there's so many different types of hair loss. To me it looks like a mature hairline, but then there are days that I wonder if it is progressing. To be honest, I just don't know... I do tell him often that I love him with or without hair (which is the absolute truth) - but we both would feel more confident if we could keep what we have (who wouldn't).

His older brother has a mature hairline but his brother's hair looks slightly less progressed (that is, slightly fuller in front)...and his other brother has no hair loss.

Is this really just a game of 'wait and see'?

Should I attempt to get him to try fin again and/or start trying minox as that's what I take and it appears to be working? I fear this will send a message that it does concern me, and that it is receding...which would freak him out. On the other hand, I also want him to do something about it before it's gone and there isn't much he can do.

Thanks for any support!

I've never had issue confessing my hair concerns with my mom, sisters, cousins, female friends, or even just female acquaintances (I typically brush it off as totally non-concerning, when it is mildly so.) Most women have told me they find mature hair lines attractive.

Obviously, your (both of you) concern is that it will continue to progress. If that's the case, the best thing your man can do is go get checked out by a derm who will look for miniaturization of the hair and compare density to other parts of the scalp. Although, you did mention he was on fin: was it prescribed or did he order it off the net?

That's really all anyone can recommend you do over the internet, especially without pictures. If he decides to continue fin, he might benefit from taking baseline hormone levels (via blood test) in order to monitor himself.

In the end, with the support of a loving significant other, I'm sure he can overcome his hair loss, even in the most extreme of cases.

Regards.

My apologies - we are both dudes. So it's hair loss concerns x's 2. The fin he tried was mine - I only began using it in June with good success (but do notice I don't get as horny).

But regardless of our gender - I think you provided some really good advice. I have looked to see if there is minituration but haven't seen any.. but then again, I'm not a doctor/expert.

I do hate to see him stress over it so badly. When will we have better treatments?... sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
    My apologies - we are both dudes. So it's hair loss concerns x's 2. The fin he tried was mine - I only began using it in June with good success (but do notice I don't get as horny).

But regardless of our gender - I think you provided some really good advice. I have looked to see if there is minituration but haven't seen any.. but then again, I'm not a doctor/expert.

I do hate to see him stress over it so badly. When will we have better treatments?... sigh...
    Yeah - my bad. I actually figured out you were both male part way through reading and tried to tactfully use the term 'significant other' in my response. I was just referencing my confining with women as to try and draw a parallel between our situations.

I'm sure your support really helps him cope with this condition that certainly no one would prefer. Best regards to you both.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Yeah - my bad. I actually figured out you were both male part way through reading and tried to tactfully use the term 'significant other' in my response. I was just referencing my confining with women as to try and draw a parallel between our situations.

I'm sure your support really helps him cope with this condition that certainly no one would prefer. Best regards to you both.
    I really appreciate that - and wasn't sure what I'd get if I led with the 'hey, hey, we're gay and we're here to stay' foot..

I really respect that you can speak openly about your hair loss. I only mentioned it to my mom once but found it really hard to discuss. I have discussed it with my sister, but she said she can't tell it's thin. I paint my head with dermmatch as I'm fortunate enough (I suppose) to have 'non-pattern, male pattern baldness' - as the IAHRS doctor told me. Right now, I can still hide it - although I think it's rather obvious that I paint my head in bright florescent lights or sunshine. Which makes me super self conscious...

No such thing as mature hairline so lets not spread false stupid terms to confuse others. Where did this term originate? its beyond stupid. Well if most men get mature hairlines and its not a big deal then by the same logic most men go bald like to NW 7 so just dont worry about it. Going bald/hair loss/mature hairlines are common among men and just part of getting older like getting hair on your chest and whatever else commonly happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
    I really appreciate that - and wasn't sure what I'd get if I led with the 'hey, hey, we're gay and we're here to stay' foot..

I really respect that you can speak openly about your hair loss. I only mentioned it to my mom once but found it really hard to discuss. I have discussed it with my sister, but she said she can't tell it's thin. I paint my head with dermmatch as I'm fortunate enough (I suppose) to have 'non-pattern, male pattern baldness' - as the IAHRS doctor told me. Right now, I can still hide it - although I think it's rather obvious that I paint my head in bright florescent lights or sunshine. Which makes me super self conscious...
    Yeah, I mentioned it to my sisters and they all said they kinda see it, but would have never noticed if I hadn't said something. My dad has been NW7 bald since like age 22, so I would feel really disgusted with myself to whine about a genetic trait I almost certainly got from him Frankly, it took a couple months, but I'm already at peace with whatever happens. I'm confident in my ability to continue to date, wrap up my Masters, and get salaried with a career I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    No such thing as mature hairline so lets not spread false stupid terms to confuse others. Where did this term originate? its beyond stupid. Well if most men get mature hairlines and its not a big deal then by the same logic most men go bald like to NW 7 so just dont worry about it. Going bald/hair loss/mature hairlines are common among men and just part of getting older like getting hair on your chest and whatever else commonly happens.
    What are you babbling bout? Put the bottle down, Jedediah.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    I never understood why people throw around this term either. If your hairline is receding, YOU HAVE MPB! Your follicles are obviously sensitive to dht (you have the mpb gene). Whether or not you'll be a slick NW7 as you age is dependent on how aggressive your hair loss is/how sensitive your follicles are. You can play the wait-and-see game but you had better hope it's not aggressive.