+ Reply to Thread

Default Good candidate for HT? (pics)

I'm 28, suffered hair loss since I was about 20, though it seems to have progressed really quite slowly.

The only men in my family that lost all their hair were my dad and my uncle (my dads brother).
    All the men on my mothers side have sort of a widows peak, but barely noticeable hairloss.
    I think I was lucky enough to get my maternal grandads type of hair.
    He's about 75 with a windows peak and fine white hair, quite a respectable head of hair for a man of his age.

As far as I can tell I don't really have diffuse loss, maybe a tad thinner on the crown, but barely noticeable, even with wet hair.
    My hair doesn't seem to 'thin', it seems to just recede at the temples.
    Those are the area's I'd like to fill in, probably with a FUE procedure.
    The height of my frontal hairline hasn't really receded at all since I was a kid, it's just the temples that've crawled a bit up.

I attached some pics with my hair wet/dry (looking messy in the morning ) and ideally the area I'd like to fill in on either side.
    How many grafts do you guys recon it'd take? I'm thinking like 1500 for good density? Was going to use Feriduni in Belgium.

The green line represents pretty much my juvenile hairline as well as what I'd like to fill in too, I'm actually surprised how little it's receded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	goal.jpg

Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	18585   Click image for larger version

Name:	dry hair.jpg

Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	18587   Click image for larger version

Name:	hairline-wet.jpg

Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	18588   Click image for larger version

Name:	hairline.jpg

Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	18589   Click image for larger version

Name:	wet hair.jpg

Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	18590  

Quote Originally Posted by itsmyhairs View Post
    I attached some pics with my hair wet/dry (looking messy in the morning ) and ideally the area I'd like to fill in on either side.
    How many grafts do you guys recon it'd take? I'm thinking like 1500 for good density? Was going to use Feriduni in Belgium.

The green line represents pretty much my juvenile hairline as well as what I'd like to fill in too, I'm actually surprised how little it's receded.
    Be carefull with what you want

You can try to get back to your juvenile hairline and just fill in on " either side " but as you age and lose more hair, which you will do, you'll have to go back and fill the top too .

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Be carefull with what you want

You can try to get back to your juvenile hairline and just fill in on " either side " but as you age and lose more hair, which you will do, you'll have to go back and fill the top too .
    Well, yes I know that.

Are you saying the only people who're candidates for a hair transplant are men that've stopped losing their hair altogether?

I was going to have one 3 or 4 years ago, but I wanted to wait to see how it progressed, which it really hasn't as far as I can tell, though I know over time it will.

I'd just rather get it done while I'm in my prime so I can enjoy life.

I can't make this decision for you, obviously, but if you're a candidate for surgery at all, you're BARELY a candidate, and I really would consider holding off. You've barely lost ground on your hairline at all, so you'd be filling in a very low hairline. That means that if your loss accelerated for some reason, you'd be tethered to a hairline that would require you to blow lots of grafts to fill behind. This is what went so wrong with Alvi Armani's approach; he'd give young guys juvenile hairlines (and thick ones, at that), so when their loss inevitably continued, they'd have a low, low wall of hair without enough grafts to fill behind it. They looked ridiculous. Remember, the vaaaaaast majority of guys do not retain their juvenile hairline. It looks unusual on older men, and frequently downright strange. Having a doctor transplant a juvenile hairline would be a lifetime decision that could only be undone by further surgery or laser removal--neither desirable options.

In your current state, no one would guess you're losing hair, and I'm not TOTALLY positive that you aren't just developing a mature hairline. Your hair looks great, and if I were you, I'd wait another five years or so and see how things develop. Just my two cents, of course, but I really don't think anything's broken yet, and I'd caution against prematurely trying to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    I can't make this decision for you, obviously, but if you're a candidate for surgery at all, you're BARELY a candidate, and I really would consider holding off. You've barely lost ground on your hairline at all, so you'd be filling in a very low hairline. That means that if your loss accelerated for some reason, you'd be tethered to a hairline that would require you to blow lots of grafts to fill behind. This is what went so wrong with Alvi Armani's approach; he'd give young guys juvenile hairlines (and thick ones, at that), so when their loss inevitably continued, they'd have a low, low wall of hair without enough grafts to fill behind it. They looked ridiculous. Remember, the vaaaaaast majority of guys do not retain their juvenile hairline. It looks unusual on older men, and frequently downright strange. Having a doctor transplant a juvenile hairline would be a lifetime decision that could only be undone by further surgery or laser removal--neither desirable options.

In your current state, no one would guess you're losing hair, and I'm not TOTALLY positive that you aren't just developing a mature hairline. Your hair looks great, and if I were you, I'd wait another five years or so and see how things develop. Just my two cents, of course, but I really don't think anything's broken yet, and I'd caution against prematurely trying to fix it.
    I'm not going to have really a low hairline, I just hate those temple peaks.

Thanks for saying my hair looks great, but seriously, I AM losing my hair.

You are right though, the longer you wait the better, perhaps I'll give minox another 6 months.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

with your current hair style makes it difficult to see the hair loss. If you can wait a while it would be wise and if it starts to drive you crazy and you decide to get a surgical procedure make sure you stay conservative. Allowing the results to continue looking appropriate with aging.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile