+ Reply to Thread

Default Does Finasteride stop or only slow down hair loss?

I've read conflicting things about this. On one site a doctor is saying that it only slows down, not stops hair loss. Then I see studies done over 10 years that show a very high percentage of men see no further loss when taking the drug, and some testimonials from people saying they've had no further loss.

You have to remember that everyone will react differently to the medication. I would expect it to at least the very least arrest your hair loss or slow it down considerably.

Look at it this way: Any regrowth is an added bonus.

Smile

I've read conflicting things about this. On one site a doctor is saying that it only slows down, not stops hair loss.
    One doctor really isn't a fair comparison based on most doctors. I think most doctors claim the same as the manufacturer, the medication slows or stops hair loss for most individuals experiencing male pattern baldness.

Then I see studies done over 10 years that show a very high percentage of men see no further loss when taking the drug, and some testimonials from people saying they've had no further loss.
    Consider me one of the fortunate people who can honestly say the drug has stopped my hair loss, or rather slowed it to a snails-pace based on what is considered normal hair loss. Everyone sheds hair before regrowth begins in the natural process of hair growth and hair loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_growth

Quote Originally Posted by Anon111 View Post
    Does Finasteride stop or only slow down hair loss?.
    For some men Finasteride will slow down hereditary hair loss.

For some men Finasteride will stop hereditary hair loss.

For some men Finasteride will allow lost hair to grow back.

There is no way to tell in advance which one you will be. Doctors who specialize in treating hereditary hair loss usually assume the conservative stance on this matter because it is almost always best to plan for the worse and hope for the best.

In the short term, finasteride can actually regrow hair that is miniaturised, but not dead, slightly reversing MPB. In the long term, I suspect that, eventually, the hair will start to be lost again. It certainly buys a lot of time, though.

And as the above poster pointed out, the results always vary between people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrium View Post
    In the short term, finasteride can actually regrow hair that is miniaturised, but not dead, slightly reversing MPB. In the long term, I suspect that, eventually, the hair will start to be lost again. It certainly buys a lot of time, though.

And as the above poster pointed out, the results always vary between people.
    That goes against what I've been reading recently. It seems like if finasteride works for someone, it doesn't matter how long someone takes it. Because it blocks DHT it should stop hair loss. Wikipedia cites a 10-year long study where 86% of people taking finasteride had a stable rate of hair-growth, or an increased rate of hair-growth. Only 14% lost hair while taking it over the 10 year study.

Inactive

I'm familiar with the study that you posted; I believe it was by a Dr. Rossi or something. Anyway, it obviously depends on how well an individual responds to it. I have read numerous accounts of people maintaining since the drug came out. And if it ever stops working, you can always move on to duta.

EDIT: I think, if you have very aggressive MPB, your hair follicles will become more sensitive to DHT as you age. For some people, their follicles become so sensitive that even the small amounts of DHT in their system with fin is enough to make them lose hair. For these people, moving on to duta may be necessary if they wish to maintain.

Like I said, it varies between people, and it might take more than 10 years to actually go below baseline. (Considering the first year or two is likely to put people above baseline in the first place.)

But finasteride doesn't block 100% of DHT, it still leaves some behind. And I've also read that the follicles become more sensitive to DHT after years of finasteride, though I don't know how true that is.

I started losing my hair 1 year ago.

After using rogaine I now have lots of little hairs one the edges of my hairline. Do you guys think that means Fin will make these hairs thicker so the receding hairline is less noticeable?

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    And if it ever stops working, you can always move on to duta.
    Dutasteride is more likely to cause negative sexual side effects than Finasteride. Therefore it is better to try increasing your dose or frequency of Finasteride before deciding to switch to Dutasteride.

There are some men who do not respond to Finasteride - not many but some. For those men, Dutasteride is the next option.