+ Reply to Thread

Default Ton of Hair Loss after Rogaine

I am 32. When I was 26 I noticed a little thinning of my hair, but nothing major. With my brother having lost most of his hair at the time, I went immediately to a Dr, who prescribed me advodart saying it was very effective and also covered by insurance. I was on that for two years, and and did not have any problems, and any notice of thinning went away. I decided to stop using it after two years, and see what happens. I was off it for a few years, and noticed a little thinning, mostly on the front, where as previously it was at the crown. But it was minor and I decided to leave it be. Recently I noticed possibly a little more thinning- but extemely minor, and still had a full head of hair. I went to a dermo recently for a couple things, and mentioned my hair. He told me to use Rogaine Foam, as it is effective on the top and front, but was only clinically tested for the crown- which is why it says only for crown. I started that in mid-november thinking the worse case was no effect. This past month I noticed my front and top look so much thinner. I can now see some scalp reflect back if there is a light shinning above. I feel like my hair has thinned by 35-40% since I started it. I am really upset about this, but I've read that it's normal to shed when first using. Yet, on here I keep reading about people losing hair from rogain, not getting it back, stopping rogaine and months later still not getting it back.
    I went to the Dr mid-december, and mentioned a little decrease in thickness (although now it's more). He said to keep up with it for three months, and if I still felt it was thin, I could try some new thing that is a topical solution of minoxidil and propecia. It can not be prescribed, but only purchased through a dermatologist, and from what it sounded like, very new, and unknown effectiveness.
    So my questions are this:

1. Has anyone lost hair in the beginning of using rogaine, particullary on top or in front, and found that continued use of rogaine, it came back?

2. Has anyone tried the topical solution of rogaine and propecia (I forget the name it was called, but those were the two drugs in it)?

3. I also started using Nizorol 1% twice a week. Is there anything else that's recommended that I should incorporate into my routine?

It's frustrating because although I noticed a little decrease in thickness of hair over the past few years- it wasn't like I was seeing it get worse and it was nowhere near major, I only brought it up to my dr. as preventive. Had I known Rogaine would have had this effect, I would not have used it. But since I have used it, I feel like I sould give it six months- and hope that it doesn't get worse.

Thanks for any advice.

When I started rogaine I noticed a bit of a shed after about 2 - 3 weeks, it stopped after a week or so.

It's only been uphill since then, really impressed with the regrowth, more than I ever thought possible.

Keep at it, for at least 6 months, there's nothing to lose.
    Some people don't see positive results for 6-8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2013 View Post
    1. Has anyone lost hair in the beginning of using rogaine, particullary on top or in front, and found that continued use of rogaine, it came back?
    Shedding is part of the process of treating hereditary hair loss. The hair that sheds out usually grows back thicker than it was before it shed out - if you continue treatment. If you stop treatment abruptly, the hair that shed out might not grow back at all.

Rogaine is intended to treat MPB in the vertex and mid-anterior areas of a males scalp - and FPB all over a females scalp. If you are male and using Rogaine on your hair line, it would be best to slowly taper off of that area because most males cannot regrow lost hair line hair, particularly hair lost from the temples.

2. Has anyone tried the topical solution of rogaine and propecia (I forget the name it was called, but those were the two drugs in it)?
    There is not enough good quality evidence to suggest that topical Finasteride will be more helpful or as helpful as oral Finasteride. However if you have the pills and don't mind mixing them in with your Rogaine, I don't think it would cause any harm to try - but I am not a doctor.

3. I also started using Nizorol 1% twice a week. Is there anything else that's recommended that I should incorporate into my routine?
    If you have not already done so, replace your regular shampoo and conditioner with sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. If your hair is short, you can use a sulfate free 2-in-1 if you want instead of a separate shampoo and conditioner.

I started what I believe to be a shed right at 2 weeks and 2 days into Minox/Fin/Niz. In my case, it was massive, violent and quick, and seems to have subsided within two weeks.

Massive amount of hair on pillow, clogged shower drain, etc., and then it subsided seemingly overnight.

It's really unnerving but you just have to trust in the science. Most ppl. seem to get the sheds later and have them longer. I jumped into all three treatments within one week of each other (Minox, then Fin, then Niz.), so this may have something to do with how fast/quick the shed lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by JDuff View Post
    It's really unnerving but you just have to trust in the science.
    Yes it is very unnerving and upsetting - but you have to stick it out to gain any benefit. I am certainly glad I stuck it out - because I grew a lot of hair back with Rogaine.

Thanks for the responses. I have my hair combed to the side, about 1 to 1.5 inches on top, and shorter on the sides. When I now move it around on top, I see so much scalp, nowhere near as much as before. But I will stick it out for 6 months and hope what I just lost from starting rogaine comes back. It's just really unsetteling to see how much I lost shortly after starting. But reading your remarks does make me feel better.

The one thing I wanted to ask- is regarding the sulfates in shampoo and conditioners. I just bought a thickening shampoo and a thickening conditioner, because I didn't like how my hair felt after using the nizorol. The shampoo is American Crew thickening shampoo, and the thickening conditioner is by Bed Head. I just looked at them and it looks like they have sulfates. Is this serious? I can get new ones, but can anyone recommend brands? I am would prefer a thickening kind, at least for now, during what I hope is a recovery to my head. I feel like I am spending a fortune on hair products- so I don't want to waste anymore on things that are not recommended.

Although I will point out, I think I notice less hair falling out this past week when I am styling my hair- although I will say I try to be super gentle with it.

Thank you!

But I will stick it out for 6 months and hope what I just lost from starting rogaine comes back.
    It will take longer for the hair that shed out to come back. It takes four to six months just to know if Minoxidil is working for you. It takes 12 to 18 months before you will know how well Minoxidil is working for you. This long time frame has little to do with the med itself. It's all about human hair cycles - and how long each phase of the cycle lasts.

For me, I knew Minoxidil was working within six months - but it was over a year before the hair that grew back was cosmetically significant.

Thanks for the response. I will continue to use it and just hope I don't lose the massive amount of hair as I've lost this past month. Otherwise I won't have any hair left.
    I also looked at a bunch of different hairs and conditioners, but they all contained sulfates. Is it critical to get sulfate free?

I also looked at a bunch of different hairs and conditioners, but they all contained sulfates. Is it critical to get sulfate free?
    I am not sure if "critical" is an appropriate word but "helpful" sure is. The sulfates in most shampoos can aggravate hair loss of all types including but not limited to hereditary hair loss.

If you are in the US, Aveeno makes an excellent sulfate free shampoo, conditioner and a 2-in-1 one for those of you who have short hair and do not want to use a separate shampoo and conditioner.

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked some up today. I almost went with a different kind that said sulfate free, but then when I looked closely I realized it had some type of alcohol in it. I figured that couldn't be good either.