+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How long to wait after HT before Holiday

I am planning a HT around 5000 grafts, fair skin. I am wondering can I go on holiday straight afterwards or should I wait 1 or 2 or 3/4 after HT.

1. How long does the swelling last and how bad is it (any photos?)
    2. how itchy does it get and how long does it last
    3. How painful is and for how long does the pain last

I read Spex very helpful post op tips, any more ?

Default Post Op expectations...

I just had HT on Monday (6-15-09)...unless you are going to wear a hat (or other headwear), it will be obvious. I had about 3000 graft procedure "on top"...trust me...it shows!! I tried to upload a file...this is "same day post op".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - PostOp Same Day Top.jpg

Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1769  

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    I just had HT on Monday (6-15-09)...unless you are going to wear a hat (or other headwear), it will be obvious. I had about 3000 graft procedure "on top"...trust me...it shows!! I tried to upload a file...this is "same day post op".
    congratulations on taking the plunge, looks ok, how was it, painful,? itchy?, any swelling yet?

Quote Originally Posted by 1ainslie View Post
    I am planning a HT around 5000 grafts, fair skin. I am wondering can I go on holiday straight afterwards or should I wait 1 or 2 or 3/4 after HT.

1. How long does the swelling last and how bad is it (any photos?)
    2. how itchy does it get and how long does it last
    3. How painful is and for how long does the pain last

I read Spex very helpful post op tips, any more ?

First of all, 5,000 grafts is a mega-session. 5,000 grafts will require a corresponding 5,000 recipient incisions that will need to be made. Even if the sites are created with custom sized blades, a fair amount of scalp trauma will transpire because of of the size of the session.

Make sure your scalp is not exposed to the sun post-op for more than 10 minutes because you can damage the grafts if you head is not covered and you get sunburn.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default How long to wait after HT before Holiday

congratulations on taking the plunge, looks ok, how was it, painful,? itchy?, any swelling yet?
    It has only been 4 days...so, take this within that context! So far, the itching has been minimal. I don't take itch..I just touch it! Maybe it's good that most of the top of my scalp is still numb...so, it doesn't itch much.

The only real pain, is from the "Donor Area". I have about an 7-8" incision that literally goes from the top of one ear to the other. The donor area is sensitive and swollen. My wife is a nurse and has kept a watch on everything for signs of infection. It doesn't look infected, but it is very sensitive to touch. Which - makes sleep difficult. I slept about 4-5 hours each night and have quite a bit of broken sleep.

I have slept in a recliner, but last night was my first night "in bed". when I woke up, my eyes were very swollen. I'm taking lots of pictures. I'll try to post it here later. I'm keeping a daily journal...maybe for posterity, but I may post it so others can read about the process.

To be honest, I am probably being very impatient. I'm not satisfied right now...it looks like my head was beat with a weed-eater! Intellectually, I know you can't expect overnight results!!! But, when I look in the mirror, I know the next 6-12 months will seem very long.

The good news is that the scaps are starting to fall off and the redness has faded *some*.

Good luck!! So far, I'm still convincing myself this was the right thing to do. There is quite a bit of discomfort, but I keep telling myself - no pain - no gain!

Scotty,

You will notice improvement each week regarding the discomfort in the donor area. Our scalps are so enriched with blood vessels that infections are rare.

Itching is a sign of healing but does goes away with time.

The swollen eyes are from the saline and other fluids injected into the scalp and the effects of gravity bring the fluid down into the forehead and eye area. Generally speaking, if swelling occurs, it usually shows up three days post-op, then lingers for another three to five days and begins to subside.

Best wishes to you.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    It has only been 4 days...so, take this within that context! So far, the itching has been minimal. I don't take itch..I just touch it! Maybe it's good that most of the top of my scalp is still numb...so, it doesn't itch much.

The only real pain, is from the "Donor Area". I have about an 7-8" incision that literally goes from the top of one ear to the other. The donor area is sensitive and swollen. My wife is a nurse and has kept a watch on everything for signs of infection. It doesn't look infected, but it is very sensitive to touch. Which - makes sleep difficult. I slept about 4-5 hours each night and have quite a bit of broken sleep.

I have slept in a recliner, but last night was my first night "in bed". when I woke up, my eyes were very swollen. I'm taking lots of pictures. I'll try to post it here later. I'm keeping a daily journal...maybe for posterity, but I may post it so others can read about the process.

To be honest, I am probably being very impatient. I'm not satisfied right now...it looks like my head was beat with a weed-eater! Intellectually, I know you can't expect overnight results!!! But, when I look in the mirror, I know the next 6-12 months will seem very long.

The good news is that the scaps are starting to fall off and the redness has faded *some*.

Good luck!! So far, I'm still convincing myself this was the right thing to do. There is quite a bit of discomfort, but I keep telling myself - no pain - no gain!
    Well done, we are feeling for you, who did your transplant, look forward to hear how things are progressing. Its useful to hear howits going after 4 days, I was planning to go on holiday to Florida straight after mine but sounds like that would not be wise. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Scotty,

You will notice improvement each week regarding the discomfort in the donor area. Our scalps are so enriched with blood vessels that infections are rare.

Itching is a sign of healing but does goes away with time.

The swollen eyes are from the saline and other fluids injected into the scalp and the effects of gravity bring the fluid down into the forehead and eye area. Generally speaking, if swelling occurs, it usually shows up three days post-op, then lingers for another three to five days and begins to subside.

Best wishes to you.
    How long does the itch last and how bad is it, interested to read you comment on swelling , you say IF it happnens, does that mean it doesnt always?

Well done, we are feeling for you, who did your transplant, look forward to hear how things are progressing. Its useful to hear howits going after 4 days, I was planning to go on holiday to Florida straight after mine but sounds like that would not be wise. Good luck.
    Dr Grant Koher (offices in Raleigh and High Point, NC) did my procedure. I went to other facilities with national recognition (names withheld), but I chose Dr Koher because I felt comfortable with him. Of the 3 practices I interviewed, none of the physicians met with me - except for him. He took the time to meet with me during each of my "investigation visits".

After the procedure, he gave me a card with his cell and house phone number and was insistent that I call if I have any question or problem. Heck - I think he would have made a house call if I asked him to! He seemed to be very sincere and compassionate. During the procedure, he constantly inquired if I was comfortable or feeling any pain.

But - regarding your Florida trip. We had a family beach vacation planned next week...we cancelled. Actually, my wife cancelled. I am quite certain I would not have enjoyed the trip because I would not be able to "go to the beach" and enjoy it. Oh - I guess I could just wear a hat, but I don't think the heat would feel good, plus, I am still healing. I would rather not get "hot and sweaty".

I'll try to upload a photo timeline. I'm keeping a written journal and a photo journal of the progress. Its only been 5 days, but you can see some progress. The "donor area" is very neat and the top of my scalp is not as red as it was.

How long does the itch last and how bad is it, interested to read you comment on swelling , you say IF it happnens, does that mean it doesnt always?
    The itching has been too bad. It's been tolerable...but...I'm only 5 days "post procedure".

I've slept in a recliner since the procedure, and last night was my first night sleeping in bed. This morning I woke up, and my eyes were noticeably swollen. I don't know if lying down caused it or not.

It isn't impressive...but...it will give you an idea of what to expect after 5 days! Here is a link to a photo timeline of my first 5 days (click here)...it is in my "Profile Album". I plan to keep it update periodically.

Anyone out there that has had a HT...let me know what you think of my progress. (hint, hint: I need encouragement.)