+ Reply to Thread

Default Afraid I'm balding at 19 (pics) help

I don't know if I'm just paranoid but it feels like I'm losing my hair as the day goes by and feel depressed taking picture of my crown everyday. So my question is, am I going bald?

My crown area appears to be thinning as you can see my scalp through it, very sad.

Any thinning in other areas? I have no problems at the crown and have general thinning at and above the temples. I think that might be key understanding, although everyone balds differently.

Go see a dermatologist

Also, look at your hair when it's very wet after showering, that helps you spot more easily where the hair is thinning

Quote Originally Posted by Curry View Post
    I don't know if I'm just paranoid but it feels like I'm losing my hair as the day goes by and feel depressed taking picture of my crown everyday. So my question is, am I going bald?
    It could just be the lighting. The best thing to do is take pictures of your hair while it is wet and parted down the middle. Then take pictures of your hair parted on both sides (still wet) and compare your part. If your part is significantly wider in the middle than it is on the sides, then yes you are probably starting to thin. If you find that you are thinning and that bothers you, book an appointment with a dermatologist who specializes in treating hair loss. There is a medication you can take called Propecia that can arrest it from getting worse. Talk to the doctor about that medication. Also, ask the doctor for a prescription for Nizoral shampoo and use it once a week in place of your regular shampoo. The active ingredient in Nizoral shampoo can help arrest MPB and FPB when used as an adjunct treatment.

There are other things you can start doing right away though. First replace your regular shampoo and conditioner with sulfate free shampoo and conditioner if you have not already done so.

If after talking to the doctor you choose not to take the medication that can stop it from getting worse, go to your local pharmacy or vitamin shop and pick up some Saw Palmetto Complex and take it as directed on the bottle. Please note that I said "Complex". Saw Palmetto Complex and straight Saw Palmetto are not the same thing. Please also note that there is no reliable evidence that any herbal remedy does anything meaningful to treat hereditary hair loss - but it probably does not hurt to try something that has at least a slight possibility of actually working - such as Saw Palmetto Complex.

Inactive

What Tracy said, except be very aware that those treatments can be bought online for MUCH cheaper than what you're going to pay at your local pharmacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    ...be very aware that those treatments can be bought online for MUCH cheaper than what you're going to pay at your local pharmacy.
    That is actually not true. Though your location does play a role, the general idea that it is always cheaper to buy meds online is a myth. Guys just don't know how to shop. I can find whatever your meds are for less money at a real pharmacy than you can find it on the internet grey market. When you buy from a real pharmacy, you know you are getting the real thing. When you buy from the internet grey market, you can never be sure you are getting the real thing.