+ Reply to Thread

Default NW6-7's, why even bother?

I've always believed there's a point in the great battle with hair loss where you've just got to concede the war is indeed, lost, and break out the clippers.

Especially today, you hardly ever see anyone with a combover, at least no one born in the last 50 years.

We all know the pain of the follicle folly and all the creative hairstyles when you're in NW1-3 territory(about a 2 here).
    I've seen anything up to about a NW5 rescued with very good HT surgery, but after that it always looks like an exercise in extreme futility.
    You know, guys going from a NW7 down to a NW 4 bordering on NW 5.

It almost seems unethical for doctors to do that kind of surgery on someone.
    You're looking at max, 10-12000 grafts over your lifetime and assuming the Dr. performing it is skilled maybe a 90% yield.
    That's still far far FAR below what it'd take to provide reasonable coverage on a whole head.

The way I see it a HT is to compliment other treatments and hide a burgeoning
    receding hairline with suitable candidates being in at least their late 20's- early 30's with minor pattern loss and minimal diffusion.
    The perfect candidate would be 35 with a NW2, totally repairable with good long term prospects.

Anyone doing this on 20 year olds with NW 5's and dense packing the hair line or on guys in their 40's and 50's with NW 6's and 7's should be struck the feck off for unethical medical practice.
    It's like those surgeons that'll perform any kind of plastic surgery on anyone, even if it's harmful, just to get their paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by itsmyhairs View Post
    I've always believed there's a point in the great battle with hair loss where you've just got to concede the war is indeed, lost, and break out the clippers.

Especially today, you hardly ever see anyone with a combover, at least no one born in the last 50 years.

We all know the pain of the follicle folly and all the creative hairstyles when you're in NW1-3 territory(about a 2 here).
    I've seen anything up to about a NW5 rescued with very good HT surgery, but after that it always looks like an exercise in extreme futility.
    You know, guys going from a NW7 down to a NW 4 bordering on NW 5.

It almost seems unethical for doctors to do that kind of surgery on someone.
    You're looking at max, 10-12000 grafts over your lifetime and assuming the Dr. performing it is skilled maybe a 90% yield.
    That's still far far FAR below what it'd take to provide reasonable coverage on a whole head.

The way I see it a HT is to compliment other treatments and hide a burgeoning
    receding hairline with suitable candidates being in at least their late 20's- early 30's with minor pattern loss and minimal diffusion.
    The perfect candidate would be 35 with a NW2, totally repairable with good long term prospects.

Anyone doing this on 20 year olds with NW 5's and dense packing the hair line or on guys in their 40's and 50's with NW 6's and 7's should be struck the feck off for unethical medical practice.
    It's like those surgeons that'll perform any kind of plastic surgery on anyone, even if it's harmful, just to get their paycheck.

Some rare cases of NW6 and even NW7 's are really more like NW5's due to miniaturization of hairs on the scalp so they aren't slick bald per se. Their hair as it has shrunked due to the DHT imbalance in their bodies so with medications like Finasteride either prescribed or generics and then combined with transplant surgery full coverage and I use the term might... might be feasible under the circumstances.