+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Hey Thinning87,

Just wanted to start by saying thanks for sharing your story. Similarly to you, I was 24 when I noticed my thinning (~9 months ago). Also, similarly to you, I saw a derm who was very helpful and effectively offered to prescribe me fin, but also advised I wait a little longer to see if I bounce back (basically, confirming it isn't something else). This is all after a round of blood draws that came back normal.

I'm at the point now where I already called and asked for my derm appointment to be late February, instead of the initial late March (4 month re-visit) because I just had one of those days where your hair bugs the shit out of you. I'm already antsy to call and get it bumped another month closer, which would be in about two weeks. I can say with relative certainty I will start fin or say f**k treatment, and take this hairloss shit head-on. I havn't decided which, which is why I'm here ranting on your thread.

How much were you paying for fin? I think I'd prefer to go generic and keep costs down. I'm already getting my hair cut shorter and shorter and learning to cope with my thinned hair. On the flip-side, I do have a noticeable amount of new hairs popping up at the hairline. However, they may just be ticking away until death, and not indication that my current hair situation is miraculously getting better. My quality of hair fallen hair isn't much different than the hair upon my head.

I'm overall just really indecisive on what I want to do. I will commit myself to something in the next 2 months, guaranteed - whether it's saying "f**k it", or beginning my fin journey.

I guess what I want to know is: do you wish you had just been a bit more patient before starting fin? Did you start a little early and get sick of it because you thought maybe it wasn't necessary? I can understand dropping minox because it's expensive and a pain in the ass, but fin is just a pill you pop and I can't imagine it's that expensive with a prescription. If I do this fin thing, I'm going to do it right (long term, taper on). But a part of me just wants to say I can cope with being a progressively bald 25 year old.

Thanks in advance for your advice, even though you were initially the one seeking it on this thread. Further, I hope my concerns are apparent in this rant, because I barely formally asked any questions.

Regards, buddy.

Hey man

Looks like we're in the exact same position. Some days I feel wise and decide to face the inevitable without putting up a fight against the unchangeable. Other days I'm pissed off though, and try to remember how life was before constantly having this problem in the back of my mind.

I did not like taking Fin at all but let's face it it wasn't the end of the world. The cost is relatively high, $2.5 per pill ca. (which as you know means $2.5 daily) according to my calculations if you just buy it at WalMart. Some people can get the generic pill and save money, I didn't really look into that.

Side effects weren't so bad, although pressure from some in my family and fear for decreased libido and mental fog ended up making me quit.

Do keep in mind though that at our age it's the last call. Either you get on it now or you won't gain so much from it if you don't start early.

It was easy for me to quit it because I never really experienced any social discomfort due to baldness, and so it was easy to be wise and accept the process as part of life like every male in my family did (with one HT exception who told me it's not worth it) when the consequences are postponed to a later point in time.

And what worries me is that once I really do become noticeable and lose my looks (I ain't Brad Pitt but I would say of myself as being above average) it will be much harder to say hook up with a girl at a club, etc. That's why I'm gonna try cutting it very short tomorrow.

So to answer your question, yeah I quit Finasteride probably because I don't pay the social consequences yet and it's therefore easy to take it lightly. You;re right to think you either do it as a long term thing or don't do it.

The important thing to udnerstand in my opinion is that it depends on your goals at this point and how you see yourself in the future (in other words how important do you expect your hair to be at age 30, 35, etc.): what is the timeline you want to have for your hair, how long do you want to hold on to it, etc.

I optimistically will continue to be unnoticeable it for the next 2-3 years if I don't take any drugs and just keep it short. I say this because I have a friend who is 2 years older and has had the same exact type of hair loss with general thinning all over the place. To my trained eye he is losing hair, but it's hard to notice. Sounds like you are experiencing the same type of MPB.

I decided am going to party and have a ton of fun now that I can, but as I will reach 28 I expect work to be 70% of my life. I think at that point my lifestyle will be a lot different, I will be surrounded by people who just don't care about what my hair looks like. Yeah, I won't get any smiles from random girls while I read the paper at Starbucks anymore, and I won't be able to flirt with the girl in the office right next to mine, and so on...

but what the hell I am not planning to go to clubs and concerts all the time like I do now once I hit 28.... Also, I am hoping at that stage in life girls my age will also be a little bit more mature; I already noticed a huge change now at our age from what girls acted like just 3 years ago in college. Keep in mind at 30 girls will be looking at completely different types of men because they will be looking to get married...

Honestly, keeping hair is all about impressing girls. Many here might disagree, but I think hair won't be that big of a deal at 30 if I keep in good shape, have an active lifestyle, and just play my cards well if you really want to hook up with some girl one night. It all depends on the type of people you surround your self with though, I'd say pretty much all my friends now are very intelligent.

So that is my thought, and then in addition I am thinking if I am lucky, Histogen/Aderans etc. will have something for me in 5 years. Now, I wasn't following the forum as much a month ago, but recent news is making me very optimistic (see posts in the cutting edge solutions area of the forum). I mean these guys at Histogen are definitely onto something, not to mention Aderans and the new companies. Yes, they tell us people 20 years older than us have been disappointed many times, but this is different, we're looking at actual statistically significant data now, and these companies are making very fast progress despite what some say (Histogen got financing in 2009 and 2010 if I remember correctly!).

Hence my thoughts about a short term strategy... I figure if it can make a difference, I will stay on Fin for another couple years... but if things don't look good in the short run I am definitely sticking to what I said above. Also very important will be how I will look tomorrow after taking off all this hair I have on me now!

I hope this helps... I wrote a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning87 View Post
    Yeah I understand waiting for Histogen is quite a gamble. But I am not really keen on taking Propecia indefinitely... I don't like how numb and brain fogged I get.

What do you think about trying Propecia 1-2-3- times per week?

Can you explain more about this numbness?

Like you couldn't feel your penis at all?

Thats the thing that scares me about taking finasteride.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
    I took propecia and it worked for about 6 years, then lost effectiveness for me, however when I was taking it I got the brain fog and it made it hard on me to get through college, thankfully I did but my mind often felt cloudy and I would have trouble remembering things on a regular basis and I wouldn't be able to concentrate so well. Looking back, to me, it wasn't worth it. I've been off of it for a few months now and the cloudiness in my mind has started to lift and I feel much more mentally alert these days. You could try propecia on a 1-2-3 times per week basis but I don't think its going to help in that respect it doesn't stay in the system for very long.
    If you're getting brain fog and sexual sides then to me its not worth taking it, I'd rather be alert and sexually driven / healthy with regular semen than to retain a bit of hair. It's good you're staying in shape perhaps just make that the focal point of your physical appearance. I mentioned in an earlier post that I now have been having orthodontic dental work to fix my teeth up and that's my main focal point, that and keeping physically fit. I suppose you could say the confidence I lost with my hair I regained with my smile. I care more about my sexual and mental health than I do about my hair.
    Well said sir!

About the propecia, yeah I hear you, I remember talking about a decreased dose with a dermatologist who went to Harvard med and also has gone through MPB and a HT.... well he didn't have much to say, pretty much what you said, although he was like "why not"....

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    I don't think anyone on this forum is going to advise anything other than the Big 3, and with good reason. It's what is scientifically accepted to be occasionally effective. Frankly, everything else is likely a waste of your money and energy. It was nice to read you are taking care of yourself, at least physically. I've been logging 8 hours of sleep a night, exercising almost every single day, and eating extremely healthy. I'm not expecting it to keep me NW 2 until death, but maybe it'll at least slow down the process. Regardless, I'll feel a hell of a lot better along the way.
    What is the big three?

1. finasteride
    2. Rogaine
    3. ?

Quote Originally Posted by This Sucks View Post
    Can you explain more about this numbness?

Like you couldn't feel your penis at all?

Thats the thing that scares me about taking finasteride.
    hahahha no no I can feel it, it's still there.

The numbness is referred to my mental fog and inability to be a critical thinker.

Sexually, I just didn't have all this desire to do it, it's like I wasn't really seeing the motivation to have sex as much, although if I was with a girl I could get it up no problem. An example maybe is one time I was with this girl and she wanted to do it, but I didn't find her all that sexy (she wasn't the hottest chick in the planet but I brought her home anyways) and I turned her down not because I couldn't get it up but because I was like "uhm I don't really care I'd rather relax". That had never happened to me... or any male in the planet...

Thanks for the reply. I also am not noticeably thin, and my buddies say "meh, I don't see it" when I do make a comment about it. I know it's not quite the same though and, worst of all, I don't know if it's temporary or what the pace is going to be like if it's permanent. It only bothers me like 25% of the time - really just enough to make me keep my appointments. I'm just worried about what it might be like 6 months - maybe I'll be kicking myself for not starting fin 6 months ago, and maybe I will be plateaued hair-loss-wise or maybe just not giving a shit. Obviously, no one can answer these concerns with certainty.

Yeah, 28 is about the age I expect to really start slowing down, but I have already began to tucker out (at least relative to age 18). Grad school and a sprouting career keep me level headed in all this. I'm comfortable where I am now, it's just the damn worry about the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning87 View Post
    hahahha no no I can feel it, it's still there.

The numbness is referred to my mental fog and inability to be a critical thinker.

Sexually, I just didn't have all this desire to do it, it's like I wasn't really seeing the motivation to have sex as much, although if I was with a girl I could get it up no problem. An example maybe is one time I was with this girl and she wanted to do it, but I didn't find her all that sexy (she wasn't the hottest chick in the planet but I brought her home anyways) and I turned her down not because I couldn't get it up but because I was like "uhm I don't really care I'd rather relax". That had never happened to me... or any male in the planet...
    ohhhh ok.

Well, I read someones story online awhile back and they said they their penis felt numb and they got no pleasure out of sex anymore. thats scary as hell.

tbh as much as it would suck I think i'd trade lower libido for keeping my hair until hopefully a company comes out with a better treatment.
    but then again I may think the exact opposite of that if I actually have my libido decrease.

Man, I just hope I don't get any permanent side effects.