+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is is OK to split Proscar tablets?

I know a lot of people do this to take the 1mg, but I've been looking around and I found this website, which had Proscar 5mg on the "Do Not Split" list.

http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/25/6/133/5

Does cutting the tablet reduce its effectiveness at all? Obviously you're exposing the inside of the tablet to air and all that, but does that matter?

It shouldn't reduce the effectiveness. It's likely on the "do not split" list because the drug can be absorbed through the skin and can cause birth defects in pregnant women.

So if a pregnant woman gets finasteride dust on her skin from a broken pill (or nine months of broken pills in a worst-case scenario), it could cause birth defects.

I also noticed it was in the "Unusual object" category. Maybe the concern is different sized tabs

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post
    It's likely on the "do not split" list because the drug can be absorbed through the skin and can cause birth defects in pregnant women.
    That is exactly why it is on the "do not split" list. Men need to be careful to ensure that the women in their lives are not exposed to it.

BTW, I met a man last weekend who told me he has been taking 1/4 of a Proscar tablet every other day for the past few years. He said he feels this works just as well as taking a 1mg Propecia tablet every day. Just thought I would share that. My Bo is going to try this. However he is 50 years old and a Norwood VI so I don't have much faith that it will help him much - but time will tell if it does or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    That is exactly why it is on the "do not split" list. Men need to be careful to ensure that the women in their lives are not exposed to it.

BTW, I met a man last weekend who told me he has been taking 1/4 of a Proscar tablet every other day for the past few years. He said he feels this works just as well as taking a 1mg Propecia tablet every day. Just thought I would share that. My Bo is going to try this. However he is 50 years old and a Norwood VI so I don't have much faith that it will help him much - but time will tell if it does or not.
    Makes sense that 1/4 Proscar EOD would help. That's 8.75mg per fortnight vs 14 mg per fortnight for Propecia. And we know that 0.5mg finasteride per day has almost the same effect as 1mg. 1/4 Proscar EOD is more than 0.5 per day.

The only issue is the short half-life, but various doctors have said that the effects of fin last in the follicle for a few days after you stop taking it, so I think as long as someone takes the 1/4 Proscar EOD consistently, they would build up to a roughly steady state of the drug in their follicles.

But like you said, for a 50 year old NW6, there's not much chance of regrowth. The old fibrosis issue again...

"Does cutting the tablet reduce its effectiveness at all? Obviously you're exposing the inside of the tablet to air and all that, but does that matter?"

No it does not.

Yep - Google " Cutting Proscar " - I made a video on how to do it easily.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Anon111 View Post
    I know a lot of people do this to take the 1mg, but I've been looking around and I found this website, which had Proscar 5mg on the "Do Not Split" list.

http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/25/6/133/5

Does cutting the tablet reduce its effectiveness at all? Obviously you're exposing the inside of the tablet to air and all that, but does that matter?

I wouldnt use Proscar 5mg if I were you, split or otherwise. The extra mg = greater effect on the prostate and you will find yourself on the toilet 5 times a night, have even greater reduced libido and be physically drained all the time. I wouldnt advoate 1mg either, but if you have to take something go with a daily dose of 1mg. I tried the 5mg and this exaccerbated a whole host of problems I was already encountering without any improvement (in fact the hair looked worse).

I take 1.25 mg every morning and another 1.25 mg every night and it is fine.
    I keep wanting to switch to dut but I get cold feet. Might make the switch this month.

Dont make the switch - you will regret it...