+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Assemblage23 View Post
    just waiting for Highlander to reply
    I'm sure he'll have a restrained, thoughtful, cautious word of wisdom to offer.

Propecia has the potential for sexually related side effects; research these thoroughly before committing. It's discouraging that most members have neglected to mention this.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    Well, it's her son, not a potential romantic interest. Mothers scrutinize their sons differently; they notice things others don't. I still think most guys with hair loss vastly overestimate the degree to which most (not all, but MOST) women care about or even notice hair loss. I mentioned my brother's hair loss to my ex-wife the other day, who sees him reasonably frequently, and she had no idea what I was talking about--she literally hadn't notice. And he's a NW3 *at best.*
    +100 on this^^^

A friend at work was interested in dating me about 2 years ago. Not that I was not interested, but I was simply too physically sick at the time to have a relationship. The point is she was interested in me even though I am quite sure she knows I have mpb if for no other reason because she started asking me about it a few months ago. And it was for the very same reason this women is here. Her son (26) lives out of state and she had not seen him for a good while and was shocked that he had lost noticeable hair. She thought he was way too young for mpb so I asked her where had he lost hair. She indicated with her fingers that his hairline had gone back and his crown was getting thin. She later showed me before and after photos and it was clearly aggressive mpb.

I told her it was almost certainly mpb and no he was plenty old enough for it.
    I described the 2 treatments available and left it to her if she should act in the info. In her case, her son already has a lot going for him including a long term girlfriend so he may not even care one bit.

muchtooyoung: How does your son feel about? I think you really need to find out before you push treatments on him. OTOH, if he does care, then it is best to catch it early and not wait to long. I think it is good you want to be helpful. ...when my mom's hairdresser mentioned I might have it, my mom was in denial probably because I was only 14-15 at the time.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    +100 on this^^^
    Thanks! It's amazing to me how some posters here absolutely insist that even a hint of hair loss is kryptonite to women. It's just not. Women don't typically experience hair loss, and they don't even really know what it looks like until it's taken a huge toll on a man's hair. It's not even that they don't mind it; they just don't even see it most of the time.

I was on FB the other day, and I noticed how many of my female friends from high school are now married to guys with extensive hair loss. And these are attractive, smart, successful women. I guess that vapid women without much intelligence or personality might be more sensitive to hair loss, but who cares about them?

If you want to believe that your hair loss will kill your chances with women, fine, believe that. But it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by AFye View Post
    No it just shows how women really feel about hairloss. They hate it.
    So what are you saying? That she'll now think less of her son because he's losing hair? This is a completely different situation its a mother concerned for her sons mental well being not a woman who's finding her partner less attractive due to hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
    So what are you saying? That she'll now think less of her son because he's losing hair? This is a completely different situation its a mother concerned for her sons mental well being not a woman who's finding her partner less attractive due to hair loss.
    Exactly. It's an apples-and-oranges comparison.

Thanks! It's amazing to me how some posters here absolutely insist that even a hint of hair loss is kryptonite to women. It's just not. Women don't typically experience hair loss, and they don't even really know what it looks like until it's taken a huge toll on a man's hair. It's not even that they don't mind it; they just don't even see it most of the time.

I was on FB the other day, and I noticed how many of my female friends from high school are now married to guys with extensive hair loss. And these are attractive, smart, successful women. I guess that vapid women without much intelligence or personality might be more sensitive to hair loss, but who cares about them?

If you want to believe that your hair loss will kill your chances with women, fine, believe that. But it won't.
    Not at all, this women was clearly interested in me...I am normally very clueless about taking hints but in this case she was inviting over to her house over the holidays and inviting me to lunch often.
    And she is no dog ether. She is normally very conservative, but at our Christmas party, strictly by accident, I got to see what she normally hides very well

But with her son it is a different matter- that is maternal instinct at work and nothing wrong with it.

Exactly. It's an apples-and-oranges comparison.
    It's maternal instinct - and it is a good thing else we may not be here

In my example the woman was also concerned because he had cancer as a child and she thought the loss may be due to residue from all the drugs he had to take.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Assemblage23 View Post
    just waiting for Highlander to reply
    I'm sure he'll have a restrained, thoughtful, cautious word of wisdom to offer.
    That is, without doubt, the best post I have ever read on BTT.

Research propecia before you have your son take it. I'm 20 and I wouldn't suggest him to get on it, even though it's really the only thing that will truly help.