+ Reply to Thread

Default Finally, people who relate

Hello people. I am amazed at what I have read so far on this forum. I just finished reading an archived thread about Spencer and his journey. Spencer's story as well as the responses from others who shared their same feelings were so fascinating to me that I had to sign up and say "Hello".
    My story is very much the same, hell, I could write a novel on how going bald has impacted my life. Today, I am just thankful to finally sit down and read through all of your heartwarming stories, piles of info and photos of results that are incredible. When I began balding in my early 20's, life began to decline quickly. To sum it up, I quit living. You name anything young men do in their 20's and I shut it down. I had longer curly hair, over the years many compliments were sent my way. I was known for this big head of hair, that I felt lucky to have. I tried hiding it for a long time, but I knew I must look foolish. In 2000, I had my first transplant. I remember being able to jump in a swimming pool for the first time in years. Something as simple as that felt like a blessing. Friday , June 12th, 2009 I had my second transplant by Dr. Christopher Cole. Dr. Cole is located in London, Ontario. I am now 37 years old, although the emotional scars are still there. Hopefully now, I will return to life with a bang. I let everyone and everything go in my life because my self worth was buried. Underachieving the last 15 years because I was losing my hair. I know after the first transplant I did have several years of relief, so I know this should help. Thanks again to all of you for just being here.

your friend

PJ

Hi there, I've just read your story and I understand how devastating hair loss is, because I'm going through it right now. I'm 27, and over the last few months I've realized that my hair has thinning enormously. Maybe I've noticed over the last few years but didn't want to acknowledge the problem. Looking through pictures of myself in 2005 was shocking, I never realized how much hair I was losing until recently.

I've been going through a rough time lately and I don't know who to talk to. I've been having panic attacks which include uncontrollable shaking and vomiting, I've completely shut life out, I no longer go out, I've lost all confidence, it feels like I've been plucked out of my original life - with all my dreams and aspirations - and been dropped into someone else's body. My identity is gone, and while I don't think I'd do anything to hurt myself, I've lost the will to live.

Just hearing myself say that makes me feel like I'm weak, I'm a drama queen, that I'm not a real man. There are many people out there with life threatening diseases who would do anything to live. But to me I'm dying a slow death - a death of my identity. I've always taken pride in my appearance, and how I look without hair would be the polar opposite - I'd be embarrassed to show my face.

I don't know how to deal with this, I almost don't want to deal with it anymore. I've overcome some pretty tough things in my life, but this challenge I don't even want to take on. I feel like I'm living a nightmare I can't wake up from. Does it get better?

Hey VSk, thanks for responding to my post. It really is nice to get a dialogue going with someone whose feelings are nearly identical to my own. It is hard not to feel "weak" or "ashamed" about feeling not being good enough just because we are losing or have lost our hair. I have 2 brothers, one bald, the other receding and he is well on his way to a head of fully blown out feathers. They both appear to be OK. Why? I say this is because they are progressing their way through their lives, marriage, kids, homes, careers in good standing. Most importantly, hair loss didn't crush their spirit.They kept up with the important things, family and friends. I left alot of that behind with my hair. That is not where you want this to go V. Take advantage of all the amazing work done in hair transplantation. Look at the pumpkins in the pictures on this web site. The changes are amazing. The feelings you are having I have, but as I have gotten older and wiser my advice is to not let time get the best of you and what you have to offer as a person. Hiding sucks, so lets figure this out. Hang in there Vsk.