+ Reply to Thread

Default New To The Forum - My Story

Hello good folks of this Forum,

I found this place quite a while ago so I suppose you can consider me a long time lurker but first time poster and I just thought I'd share my story with you guys.
    I am a 31 year old man, started losing my hair at around age 20. I've been through all the stages believe me, denial, anger, depression, etc, my self confidence really took a knock with all the piss taking you get from your mates and what not so yeah I've been through it all.
    I used fin for probably close to six years, minoxidil for the first year to year and a half etc. The usual regime. After a time the fin became less and less effective and yeah it was genuine I used to pick it up at a local pharmacy here in the united kingdom. I began to think "what am I paying for? I'm paying for a drug that is not so much effective anymore and I'm still insecure about my hair" Not to mention I also got the "brain fog" side effect from it where my memory wasn't nearly as good as it was and I felt hazy a lot of the time whilst on it.
    After a while I came to the realization that ultimately it's a losing battle you cannot win. I cannot change my genetics and for me to fight against what my body is programmed to do is pointless nor will I pay many thousands for a transplant that will leave me scarred and will only buy me a few more years if it works. I decided to let nature take its course. I came off the fin and was done with it all. I actually came to the decision when I was on my way to pick up my fin and half way there turned around and went home.The whole issue I was just done with. Clippers came out and the hair came off, admittedly it takes a couple of weeks to get used to looking at yourself with buzzed hair. The inspiration behind it was a clip with Patrick Stewart talking to Michael Parkinson about how he used to have a comb over as a younger man, one day went for dinner around his friends house and after dinner his friend walked behind him, put his arms around him and held him down into that chair and his wife came out with a pair of scissors and cut it off, then his friend said to him "now go out there and be yourself and stop hiding". And that's what I wanted. I didn't want to poison my system with fin and alter my hormones anymore. I didn't want to feel chained to a routine whereby my life was revolving around hair loss medicines everyday. I was my own worst enemy really by not allowing myself to move on, I would remain insecure about my hair loss whilst on meds which essentially made it a waste of my money.
    Now that its gone, I feel relieved that it's not something I have to deal with anymore. I used to look at confident bald guys and think I'd rather be one of them than a man with some hair that's insecure and trust me, females smell that from a mile off. It feels like the problem isn't there anymore and the money that I used to spend on treatments I now actually spend on getting my teeth straightened which is also giving me a confidence boost, so rather than working on a full head of hair I'm working towards a better smile.
    My mates still treat me the same and my girlfriend likes the look (although she is a jason statham fan) on the plus side I am a biker so rocking the skinhead somewhat suits my lifestyle
    Some of you are probably asking why am I here then if I'm no longer troubled by the issue? Well it's because I want people who are struggling to know its not as bad as you think, there is relief at the end of it when you learn to accept things and I wish I had someone to tell me that when I was struggling to cope with things. The one who's making things hard on you, is yourself, at least that's what I learned in my 11 year fight against hair loss.
    Anyway I'll stick around to chew the fat so to speak its a topic that still interests me given I've been through it myself and I like to throw in my two cents so to speak.
    Anyways hope to have many a good conversation with you guys!
    Cheers!
    P.S check out the Patrick Stewart video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXOK-ZVJMaU

I know this is an old post, but by god it makes an inspiring read. Thank You.

I agree.

I've shaved my head for about 10 years and I loved it from the start. Sure hair would (have been) better but I'm totally content now. As a shaver who personally isn't looking for a cure/help I feel reticent to add much here. However when I see some of the results of awful transplants and some of the terrible hairstyles still battling but being complicated for being state of the art and/or looking great I genuinely feel sorry for the guys.

That is a great story. But I'm afraid that the propecia lovers would come from all sides to attack you and they might even call you a troll. They tend to look down on people who chose to go bald instead of poisoning their bodies with hormones imbalancing drugs. We are living in a very superficial society, where too much importance is given to superficial things like looks and hair. Just look at this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ch...hing-else.html

That is horrible!

And yes, bald is beautiful, I am bald and beautiful, and I'm sure so are you!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    That is a great story. But I'm afraid that the propecia lovers would come from all sides to attack you and they might even call you a troll. They tend to look down on people who chose to go bald instead of poisoning their bodies with hormones imbalancing drugs. We are living in a very superficial society, where too much importance is given to superficial things like looks and hair. Just look at this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ch...hing-else.html

That is horrible!

And yes, bald is beautiful, I am bald and beautiful, and I'm sure so are you!
    That's not true at all! Propecia changed my life for the better, but I think reading the story of someone being able to shave their head and live a great life is empowering. I might make that choice one day. No rational Propecia "lover" would try to diminish the power of this post! Just the few nut jobs on this site.]

Also, it's always Propecia "haters" like you who have to make unnecessary comments like this on a great thread that has nothing to do with whether or not someone is pro or against Propecia. It's really a shame.