+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

thanks for the responses guys. I will probably contact dr cooley next week at some point.

From what I can tell, my donor region seems fine, so I believe I would be a DPA, but obviously I am not an expert.

I am a little hesitant to get back on finasteride because of how much better I've felt(sexually) while being off of it...but maybe a lower dosage every other day or something would help. I will talk to the doc about that as well. I am using minox for the past 6weeks or so on my crown which I think has caused a bit of a shed, as my crown definitely looks worse than it did 2 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by baldnotbeautiful View Post
    I am using minox for the past 6weeks or so on my crown which I think has caused a bit of a shed, as my crown definitely looks worse than it did 2 months ago.
    Stick with it for at least a full year. Also judging from your pictures you could benefit a lot from a good quality concealer such as Dermmatch. Using a good concealer could help you feel better about yourself while you are treating it.

If you haven't already done so, replace your regular shampoo and conditioner with sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. Since your hair is short you can get away with using a sulfate free 2-n-1 instead of a separate shampoo and conditioner. Ask your doctor for a prescription for Nizoral shampoo and use it once a week in place of your regular shampoo.

I use toppik on my crown and it helps a lot, and I use nizoral 1% about once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    To add: diffuse thinners aren't always bad candidates. If you have DPA--diffuse patterned alopecia--there's a good chance you could be transplanted, because your donor region will remain stable. If you have DUPA--diffuse UNPATTERNED alopecia--then you will almost certainly not be a candidate, because the transplanted hair would be susceptible to DHT, and the donor region would eventually thin and reveal a scar (if you used FUT). From your pictures, it's hard to tell if there are signs of DUPA, as we can't see the "permanent" region. That's a question that you'd have to raise with a surgeon. Because you're a diffuse thinner, you should be scrutinized extremely closely for any sign of DUPA. Getting a transplant when you have DUPA is generally considered a disaster.
    Good post win200 and I could not agree more with your comments! This is where a microscopic evaluation of the entire scalp is crucial to distinguish between DPA and DUPA.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    Good post win200 and I could not agree more with your comments! This is where a microscopic evaluation of the entire scalp is crucial to distinguish between DPA and DUPA.
    Thanks! I think we can't collectively over-emphasize the need to go to a surgeon that will do an exhaustive consultation by microscope of THE ENTIRE SCALP. I actually consulted with a surgeon who sort of rummaged through my hair by hand and never took any sort of magnifying instrument to my scalp. If I had DUPA but still looked like I had good density, he could have missed miniaturization entirely and done a transplant that could have been a disaster. You want a surgeon who will be THOROUGH, and make absolutely certain that you're an ideal candidate. While Bill Rassman is no longer an IAHRS member, he did the field a real service by adamantly insisting upon the need to map the entire scalp for density and miniaturization in order to detect patterns of thinning as well as establish a baseline. The bottom line is that you shouldn't let anyone cut you until they've exhaustively inspected your scalp to know that they're dealing with. And while I can't tell anyone what to do re: having a transplant, I think it's prudent, if there's any odd thinning or shedding, to wait and see how it develops over time--ESPECIALLY if you're in your twenties. The younger you are, the harder it is to predict how your loss will advance.

I could not agree more win!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin