+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Receding help

Default Receding help

Hello everyone.

Anyway, I'll try to keep this as short as possible. The hair at the top of my head and crown/sides is much the same as it's ever been. It's not thinning in any way at all. I've developed two straight lines at each temple though, which look really odd from the side. Unfortunately I have no pictures to upload so I'll have to do with a description. I've googled countless pictures (ranging from the 'you're going bald, panic now' types to the 'you can relax it's fixable types) and have yet to see a picture that looks like mine. Most receding hairlines I've seen look 'rounded' for want of a better term, where as this looks just like two straight lines.

I went to the doctor and he basically said that whatever will happen will happen, and it's highly unlikely that it is due to stress or anything like that. He also said that hairloss treatments don't really work. Now I've started using Nizoral shampoo (which has done very little for me but make my scalp itchy).

Anyway.. what do I do? I've read a lot about Finasteride and Minoxidil and, while fin seems out of the question, I wouldn't be adverse to using minoxidil. Moneys not really much of an issue as long as it's being spent on something that helps.

I'm sure people on here are much more knowledgable about this than I am, so any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading and merry christmas.

Fin is definitely the best option for stopping hair loss. It doesn't sound like you are in a situation where you really need to be panicking. I would definitely continue to use the nizoral shampoo, but only use it twice a week. Also, if you don't want to try fin, because of the possible side effects I'm assuming, then rogaine is probably your best option. For me, I started using fin (2 and a half weeks in, experiencing sides but hoping they go away) because it is the most powerful for stopping the loss. Many people are successful with it and don't have side effects or they lose the side effects after staying on the medicine. I have heard a lot of success stories with rogaine to but I have also been told it can destroy hairlines.. I'm sure you will get a lot of the same advice and maybe some better advice from some of the veterans on here though. I am not a doctor, I just have learned this from reading the forums over and over. Also, don't be too super concerned about minimal loss..it's looking like Histogen is going to have a product out in the next few years that stops/regrows hair very well without sides.

Not panicking is a lot easier said than done, as I'm sure you'll agree. I look at it in a mirror a hundred times a day or more, and that's with me repeatedly telling myself not to think about it. It's becoming an obsession.

I can't even go to see a dermatologist because there aren't any located anywhere near me. I just really want it to stop, now.

I used nizoral a couple of times but I think it made it worse if anything and, from reading here and there, it seems to be best at helping people with thinning hair at the crown of their head. My problem pretty much entirely at my temple/sides.

Are things like saw palmetto and lazer combs and the like any use? What's the best course of action?

Quote Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
    Not panicking is a lot easier said than done, as I'm sure you'll agree. I look at it in a mirror a hundred times a day or more, and that's with me repeatedly telling myself not to think about it. It's becoming an obsession.

I can't even go to see a dermatologist because there aren't any located anywhere near me. I just really want it to stop, now.

I used nizoral a couple of times but I think it made it worse if anything and, from reading here and there, it seems to be best at helping people with thinning hair at the crown of their head. My problem pretty much entirely at my temple/sides.

Are things like saw palmetto and lazer combs and the like any use? What's the best course of action?
    Don't obsess over it, I did and pretty much wasted my twenties doing so. Laser combs are a load of over priced rubbish don't waste your money. Minoxidil might provide you with a little regrowth at the hairline but not too much. Finasteride will slow down your hair loss and might even regrow some. Hair loss treatments are more so about retention than anything. Finasteride does cause side effects in some people so just be aware and if you do get those sides then you need to figure out if it's worth it. Other than that just keep it short and neat, stay healthy and live your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
    Other than that just keep it short and neat, stay healthy and live your life.
    Only just back on here now, cheers for the comment though.

I'm not really sure what to do now. I've been taking various vitamins, biotin, zinc and saw palmetto daily. It's not really done all that much as far as I can see. I took minoxidil for a week, panicked at the shed and quit it, and the sides of finasteride put me off it like.

Any ideas anyone?

Even ideas about diet and what not would be helpful as well. Thanks