+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi ChrisM.

I am pretty sure this is MPB. temples are receding but more on the right side.
    It's becoming thinner on the right side temple.
    I' m afaid I might lose all the hair in this area and become shiny thus irreversible.
    here's the photo when wet with Min.
    My hair looks a little better when dry..

i believe my case is MPB cos of the common pattern. But its getting more dominant on the right side.....

i've got a photo way back 2010...

and today it's like this....left photo is when wet, right next to it is when dry....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    You might luck out and be the guy who does not fall in the percentage of erectile dysfunction or having exhbited any sides whatsoever and then again you might.. the chance is basically 50/50. However you can discontinue treatment if you feel you are leaning towards the other camp and hope for the best.
    Hey norc. I can't tell if that's MPB, but that seems like a reasonable conclusion. If it is, it looks like it's not progressing really fast. Seems like you are the type of guy who fin would be best for, i.e, you have a lot of hair, and MPB isn;t very noticable. It might stop it in it's tracks for a few years or just slow it down quite a bit. I started with a widows peak, more pronounced than your when I was ~24. I'm 41 now and still have pretty much the same hair line, but with thinning. So I'd say fin bought me a lot of years, and I'm still using it.
    There's a lot of info/speculation about the new stuff coming out in a few years, e.g. Histogen, Aderans, but it seems like they will be more effective the more hair you still have. So, who knows, maybe you wouldn't have to take it that long anyways.
    Also, your chance of experiencing sides from fin or even Avodart are not 50/50. I believe there is a less than a 5% chance of experiencing side from either of them. I've attached a graph from Merck's clinical study below. Here's a link to there study. http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_...ropecia_pi.pdf On Wikipedia and some other sites I've seem I've seen occurrence of impotence as a side effect stated as (1.1% to 18.5%). I'm not sure why the large disparity, but I think they may be aggregating data from studies with men who were being treated for enlarged prostate who it think would already be at a higher risk for sexual dysfunction problems. I guess to ferret out those numbers you should look at individual studies, and compare occurrence of sides to the control group.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	graph.jpg

Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	18398  

Hey man, check this out also.
    http://www.baldingblog.com/2011/01/2...-effects-myth/
    This a short article which explains the high rate cited for some sides, and why the numbers are erroneous. It's posted on baldingblog, which i think is run by a couple of hair transplant doctor, so I don't think they have anything to gain by pushing you Propecia.

Whenever someone asks what to do about MPB its never a hard answer. Your choices are not in the hundreds or anything. You can take propecia to try to slow it down or you can just keep going bald at whatever pace and see where it goes. Maybe a painful and expensive transplant years down the road. I dont think there many other proven options short of mixing chemicals like RU in your house but who knows what your getting there. An untested, unstable chemical mixed in ways that might not even work its just you guessing whether you think it did something while you waste time
    In my mind you try propecia or just forget hair loss and live with it the options are just too limited at this point.

thanks...

today is my first day with FIN...
    fingers crossed on results....

Quote Originally Posted by norc View Post
    thanks...

today is my first day with FIN...
    fingers crossed on results....
    Good luck - what dosage have you opted for?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    Good luck - what dosage have you opted for?

thanks
    1mg per day..
    now on my 2nd week...

First off, good luck and I think you're making a good choice starting fin, if anything.

Secondly, I know how frustrating it is to have sides recede unevenly. It's almost the worst part. For me, the side that is the worse is the side with my cowlick where I used to part it and "flip it back", if you will. I'm afraid my mousse and combing techniques of yesteryear probably expedited this process.

Best regards, man.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    First off, good luck and I think you're making a good choice starting fin, if anything.

Secondly, I know how frustrating it is to have sides recede unevenly. It's almost the worst part. For me, the side that is the worse is the side with my cowlick where I used to part it and "flip it back", if you will. I'm afraid my mousse and combing techniques of yesteryear probably expedited this process.

Best regards, man.

thanks buddy.
    Im now on my 3rd week going 4th..
    what bout you? taking fin as well?