+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm 19 and losing hair

Im 19 and i already have a receded hairline just like my dad did at my age but recently ive had a burning sensation on the back of my head, do you think this is the beggining of the end for me? Is this the start of a bald spot?

http://i.imgur.com/vaOuy.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/DO1VB.jpg

Both pictures were taken under natural light

It is hard to say because we don't see your hairline in the photos however your crown looks fairly normal. What you describe is the inflammation burning sensation that describes the onset of MPB and hair loss but these pictures indicate otherwise. I would suggest going to a dermatologist that specializes in the scalp and get his or her assessment of your condition.. if they determine MPB they might recommend Minoxidil in the beginning...

I actual went to see a derm during the summer after I noticed my hairline and he reluctantly prescribed me a three month supply of propecia, but after reading about some of the possible side effects I decided to wait.
    Heres sone pictures of my hairline:
    http://i.imgur.com/gJTS2.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/t7wdt.jpg

Hey dude.

You are very fortunate to catch this in its infantile stages. I think you have the earliest stages of slight receding at the temples. You are like a NW 1 .

I would get medication to fight to keep what you have.

Yes you have a widow's peak you are at the very beginning stages of MPB.. if your doctor has already prescribed Finasteride to you then you are already fighting the battle to retain your hair and to reverse any losses possibly that you have sustained.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Ohio View Post
    ...do you think this is the beggining of the end for me? Is this the start of a bald spot?
    Your hair line is nothing more than the natural and normal adult mature male hair line. Your vertex does look like it is thinning however. Your doctor prescribed the best and most effective FDA approved medication for you. You can also use Rogaine foam to try to thicken up the vertex. These two medications work very well when used together.

It would be a very good idea to replace your current shampoo and conditioner with sulfate free shampoo and conditioner - or a sulfate free 2-in-1 if you have not already done so. It is also a good idea to wash your hair with Nizoral A-D shampoo once a week in place of your regular shampoo.

It will take a full year before you will know if your regimen is working to arrest or reverse the thinning in your vertex. So be patient and try your best not to worry about it while you are treating it.

I'm sorry but that is not a mature hairline, it seems like his hairline is thinning. That's a norwood 2, if it was a NW 1 then I'm NW0 which I'm not. I would go see a dermatologist that knows his or her shit on hair loss and get on proscar to maintain your current hair. Your dermatologist or any hair loss professional will advice you which medication you should take and the side effects that you might be effected by when using these products.

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    I'm sorry but that is not a mature hairline...
    Yes it is - and that is very likely what the doctor(s) is going to tell him.

Like dex said, that is not a mature hair line. His hairline recedes upwards slightly in the temple area. It's one thing to loose the hair in the temples; it's another when it starts to raise your hair line like the OP. This is the typical look young men get before they start to bald in the front. I would know as I've looked back through pictures of others and myself and it's quite common. You'll also notice he pushes his hair forward in the temple area which makes it look better than the situation really is.

The OP is catching his MPB early and that will be good for him. I'm hesitant to recommend propecia since he is so young and still developing physically, especially his brain. However, if he waits 5 years doing nothing his hair loss will most likely be much more noticeable and his hair will look less ideal even with treatment.

comment withdrawn