+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I realize I'm a receding nw 2 (at least on one side) most of the men on both sides of the family are receded nw2/nw3 . However what i'm most worried about is if my vertex is thinning and if it is, am i too young to start propecia?

go to your doctor. You are young but maybe the doctor will give you the green light. Pick a good dermatologist and make an appointment.

I say this to everyone who is unsure about their hairloss.

You will definately know if you are losing your hair.

When you wash it......rub ur hand thoroughly through your hair then look at your hand and see how many hairs there are. If lots = balding.

Also try plucking your hair out, if there is no to little pain.....then your probably balding.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningB420 View Post
    Like dex said, that is not a mature hair line. His hairline recedes upwards slightly in the temple area. It's one thing to loose the hair in the temples; it's another when it starts to raise your hair line like the OP. This is the typical look young men get before they start to bald in the front. I would know as I've looked back through pictures of others and myself and it's quite common. You'll also notice he pushes his hair forward in the temple area which makes it look better than the situation really is.

The OP is catching his MPB early and that will be good for him. I'm hesitant to recommend propecia since he is so young and still developing physically, especially his brain. However, if he waits 5 years doing nothing his hair loss will most likely be much more noticeable and his hair will look less ideal even with treatment.
    What are you talking about, there isn't just one uniform 'mature hairline'. You can't tell from those hairline photos alone if he will have additional hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by re22 View Post
    What are you talking about, there isn't just one uniform 'mature hairline'. You can't tell from those hairline photos alone if he will have additional hair loss.

Yes, mature hairline depends on head shape and can be different from person to person. However, his looks like stereotypical early MPB. You can actually see the hair is thinner in the hairline at the areas that are receding. Would it honestly be better for him to assume he isn't balding and do nothing until his balding become visible to the average person? Or would it be better for him to be cautious and see a professional?

He saw a doctor which reluctantly gave him a prescription. I would see another dermatologist to confirm if he is balding before he takes the finasteride since he is young. There are some people here to freak out about temporal recision that is probably just a mature hairline but based on these pictures MPB is a concern and should be investigated.