+ Reply to Thread

Default 3 Months Post-Transplant Question/Advice

Hey guys! First post here! Nice to finally say hi to you guys! This question might seem a bit random but a few years ago I was diagnosed with ADD and prescribed Adderall. Well, before I did the transplant I was doing research and found somewhere that Adderall can cause you to lose your hair, so, I stopped taking the medication. Fast forward to now, I'm 3 months post transplant and I'm wondering: Am I going to ever be able to take adderall again? Is it going to make all of this transplanted hair fall out?

Do you any of you guys know anything about this?
    I'd appreciate any advice!

The answer to Adderall with regard to hairloss is... maybe. It's an amphetamine, and impacts different patients in different ways. Hair loss is a side effect that's been reported, and it's not possible to predict if it would cause loss in you beyond what you'd otherwise be losing. It's not going to blow out all the hair on your head; I researched Adderall a bit because I was thinking of taking it, and I didn't see any incidents of someone losing an alarming amount of hair. But if you're experiencing hair loss due to MPB, it's going to be very difficult to tell if the loss you're seeing is accelerated due to the medication. I decided against taking it because I value my hair and didn't have an acute need for the drug, but that's my personal choice.

And with regard to the transplanted hair, remember that it's permanent hair that's not sensitive to DHT. But if Adderall caused loss that's not connected to MPB, then I suppose you could lose some transplanted hair. But again, it's probably not going to be extensive loss unless you have a really unusual reaction to the drug. I'd talk to your transplant surgeon about this, though.

Hi Hilarymedia.

I would immediately consult your doctor who prescribes the medication and tell them what you just told us.

They will sort it out for you.

Post up some pictures of your hair transplant so we can see how good it is!

I sent in an email to Rahal's people but I haven't gotten a response yet. I figure its kind of a random question so it might take a bit for them to give me a good answer. Also, Sidenote: I used these forums to decide which surgeon to go to and Rahal has not definitely not disappointed so thanks everyone! I think I'm going to try to find some natural vitamin supplement for my ADD instead of using the adderall, ultimately it's just not worth losing my hair over!

Doctor Representative
    UK available to meet London and south east.

Hi Hilarymedia

For ADHD there are seemingly other avenues that can be looked into, lifestyle and diet changes, herbs, relaxation techniques and so forth, so hopefully you can as you say find an effective alternative to the medication.

All the best for your healing and growth!
    Representative for IAHRS Member, Dr. Chris Bisanga
    View Dr. Bisanga's IAHRS Profile

I would suggest removing any excitoxins that you are currently consuming from your diet and see how you feel. Here is just a small list so if you eat processed foods start reading ingredients. If you are eating restaurant food than there is a good chance you will not be able to avoid these chemicals. I would also suggest reading up more on the subject.

aspartame
    hydrolyzed vegetable protein
    vegetable protein
    textured protein
    hydrolyzed soy protein ( or any other processed protein)
    natural flavoring
    sodium or calcium caseinate
    yeast extract ( autolyzed yeast extract)
    monosodium glutamate ( or potasium glutamate)
    aspartame, NutraSweet, equal
    accent
    malt flavoring or extract
    broth
    bouillon
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by hilarymedia View Post
    Hey guys! First post here! Nice to finally say hi to you guys! This question might seem a bit random but a few years ago I was diagnosed with ADD and prescribed Adderall. Well, before I did the transplant I was doing research and found somewhere that Adderall can cause you to lose your hair, so, I stopped taking the medication. Fast forward to now, I'm 3 months post transplant and I'm wondering: Am I going to ever be able to take adderall again? Is it going to make all of this transplanted hair fall out?

Do you any of you guys know anything about this?
    I'd appreciate any advice!
    My first question is that since you have been on this medication for the past several years, "Did you in fact lose any hair while on the medication?" If not, you may not experience hairloss from this medication at all. I agree with the others to re-visit this issue with your doctor. There may be other alternatives. Does you doctor know that you stopped taking it?

All that I am saying is that not all individuals respond the same way and it's always possible that you will not experience hairloss as a reported side-effect from Adderall.

Some guys freak out about the "reported" side effects from Propecia (finasteride) and never will consider taking it. Yet far fewer men experience those side-effects than the majority. So I always recommend trying it before just deciding against it.

Again I encourage you to discuss this important issue with your doctor and best wishes to you.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin