+ Reply to Thread

Default Newcomer, not sure if going bald.

Hi I am new to this forum. I just wanted some opinions. I'm 23 years old. The past month I have looked at the hair around my crown it looks quite thin. I know I have always had thin hair there because when I was 15 my teacher said I was going bald. In that same year I went to get my hair cornrowed and the girl said she couldn't cornrow that thin area. So I'm not sure if my hair was always like this or it has got worse. I would be great ful for some opinions. Thank you

I have posted links to my crown images below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8582420...in/photostream

Dunkleybwoy,

Is it possible to take some clearer pictures as then more forum members can comment.

If you are losing your hair in the crown, a surgeon will not perform restoration in the crown area at your age currently. It is sometimes referred to as the 'black hole' as it can take a lot of grafts to give the desired result.

It is far more likely that if you are, then they are likely to recommend finasteride. Finasteride has shown in a number of cases to actually regrow the hair in the crown area.

The best thing to do would be to take some clear pictures, send them to a list of recommended surgeons by having a free online consultation and see what their opinion is, or even better, see one in person who can look at your scalp more closely to see if the hair is miniturising, and then form the best plan of action.

Hopefully though you are not thinning in the crown.

I cannot tell from those photographs. Have your girlfriend or family member take photos of you with your phone then upload them to computer then post em here. You can black out your face or whatnot by right clicking on the photo i believe.

Is this picture clear enough?

There is always an error when I try to upload from my PC for some reason, both on Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.

In my opinion, you start balding from the crown and the best thing to do is taking propecia and not minoxidil and the reason is you may need just that to fight baling, BUT before taking anything go and ask the doctor about you situation.
    by the way stay away from cornrowed style which cause traction alopicia due to pulling hair.

Thanks for the advice. I will see my GP on Monday to see what they say about it. Is it in the realm of possibility that it could be a thyroid problem? I feel like this has come suddenly. It's funny the time I first noticed thinning was after I cut those exact areas with scissors months ago. lol