+ Reply to Thread

Angry quitting minox after 15 months....advice please!

been on minox for 15 months and i ONLY use it on my temples which have receded and hairline i dont use it on my crown. the results have not been good at all in fact i would say my hairline has receded but its been 15 months and thats enough time to know isint it??? so i have some questions.

1. if i quit minox now will there be an adverse effect? ie hairloss, but im just using it on my balding areas, the only hair its been in contact with would have been the base line hairs! would they be effected??

2. is 15 months enough to determine its full effect???

3. will finasteride do on its own to retain what i have? like i said, the minox has basically given me no new hairs and it has still receded so think the 1mg of fin i take every days should be enough.

anyone help!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elnino View Post
    been on minox for 15 months and i ONLY use it on my temples which have receded and hairline i dont use it on my crown. the results have not been good at all in fact i would say my hairline has receded but its been 15 months and thats enough time to know isint it??? so i have some questions.

1. if i quit minox now will there be an adverse effect? ie hairloss, but im just using it on my balding areas, the only hair its been in contact with would have been the base line hairs! would they be effected??

2. is 15 months enough to determine its full effect???

3. will finasteride do on its own to retain what i have? like i said, the minox has basically given me no new hairs and it has still receded so think the 1mg of fin i take every days should be enough.

anyone help!!!!!
    First what form of Minoxidil are you using ? Liquid or Foam ? 2 percent or 5 percent ? Have you encountered any shedding while on Minoxidil ?

I can tell you that any hair that you gained while on Minoxidil after a prolonged discontinuing of the product will result in the loss of that hair.

Minoxidil like Propecia does not work for everyone the same way.. based on everyone's individual biochemistry some respond faster than others and some respond slower and yet some others experience side effects and then there are those who gain no benefit.
    I was just reading an article on miniaturized hairs and baldness.. vellus hairs vs terminal hairs and what it said was there was a theory by this dermatologist to indicate that there is a point where over the decades miniaturized hairs become less responsive to treatment because the arrecto pilli muscle in the hair follicle shaft has degenerated which accounts for the burning sensation in the scalp which would the dying of the nerves attached to those muscles. The theory went on to say with the muscle completed atrophied and gone there is no coming back for certain miniaturized hair depending on the length of time it was in that state.. keep in mind the state would have to be many years.

http://www.*************/hair-loss/f...id-100439.html

im actually using this 12% cream i got from a london clinic. its damn expensive so i was going to change to foam. however, i can literally count about 10 hairs it gave me. its not worth it at all. my hairline is still a norwood 2.5, but like i said i havent been applying it into my crown or hair just the bald areas of receded temples and hairline. you think fin will just maintain what i have, i mean ive ome to the conclusion that the hair follcles on the temple are just dead.this minox was costing me £174 for 3 months!!!!thanks for the reply.

im actually using this 12% cream i got from a london clinic. its damn expensive so i was going to change to foam. however, i can literally count about 10 hairs it gave me. its not worth it at all. my hairline is still a norwood 2.5, but like i said i havent been applying it into my crown or hair just the bald areas of receded temples and hairline. you think fin will just maintain what i have, i mean ive ome to the conclusion that the hair follcles on the temple are just dead.this minox was costing me £174 for 3 months!!!!thanks for the reply.
    Your first mistake was to think that the 12 percent would do more than 5 percent or even 2 percent. It is the presence of the drug itself on your scalp and the response of your body in relation to it over a period of time. Minoxidil was not meant to develop hair on the temples and hairline by its design and delivery mechanism. Though if hair was developed in those regions it would be purely random and incidental based on a better response rate to the drugs of finasteride and minoxidil based on the individual body chemistry of the person and perhaps the length of time of absence of said hairline from where it was. Minoxidil is best used on the vertex and the crown of the scalp historically. I understand that even if I am granted the miracle of hair restoration by both drugs I know that my hairline will never be where it was unless I am one of those lucky ones and that is not a reasonable expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    Your first mistake was to think that the 12 percent would do more than 5 percent or even 2 percent. It is the presence of the drug itself on your scalp and the response of your body in relation to it over a period of time. Minoxidil was not meant to develop hair on the temples and hairline by its design and delivery mechanism. Though if hair was developed in those regions it would be purely random and incidental based on a better response rate to the drugs of finasteride and minoxidil based on the individual body chemistry of the person and perhaps the length of time of absence of said hairline from where it was. Minoxidil is best used on the vertex and the crown of the scalp historically. I understand that even if I am granted the miracle of hair restoration by both drugs I know that my hairline will never be where it was unless I am one of those lucky ones and that is not a reasonable expectation.
    but its not a reasonable expectation to want exepct the minox and fin to at least keep what you have. the minox has def receded my hair more i think obviously i cant prove it as its possible that its just not working but with the fin combination at norwood 2.5 its hopeful that i can keep what i have. i have to say comparing photos from 15 months ago, its less hair there on the temples. i suppose i could persevere and see what happens. im getting the 5% foam going forward.

but its not a reasonable expectation to want exepct the minox and fin to at least keep what you have. the minox has def receded my hair more i think obviously i cant prove it as its possible that its just not working but with the fin combination at norwood 2.5 its hopeful that i can keep what i have. i have to say comparing photos from 15 months ago, its less hair there on the temples. i suppose i could persevere and see what happens. im getting the 5% foam going forward.
    Perhaps you have reflex androgenicity..your body is upregulating the DHT to combat the finasteride dosage you are currently using.. so if you are using 1 mg your body is fighting that chemical introduction.