Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anthony83
    • Nov 2012

Wound Care (Strip)

This is a question for anyone who has had a strip surgery.

How long after surgery were you still using Neosporin on the donor area? Did you switch to Cortisone cream or Aloe Vera at some point? Any other tips for good wound care?

I am two weeks post op and still using the Neosporin twice a day.

Thanks to all who reply.
  • Dr. Glenn Charles
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
    • Nov 2008

At two weeks post op you may want to consider switching to Vitamin E oil at night before bed. I do not think that at this point the Neosporin will do you any good, but also will not hurt anything.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• gillenator
      • Dec 2008

I had four seperate strip procedures and never used neurosporin but rather a copper peptide enriched salve for the sutured area.

There are a number of products recommended for the area to facilitate healing including something as simple as a saline based spray.

You may find at this point in time post-op that aloe vera and or vitamin E a better alternative as Dr. Charles pointed out. They help keep the area more moist and also help alleviate the scabbing/crusting and itching than can develop post-op.

Best wishes to you!
      "Gillenator"
      Independent Patient Advocate
      more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
        IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
        • Nov 2008

Aloe Vera is another good alternative. I do not recommend using anything on a regular basis that has steroids in it.
        Dr. Glenn Charles
        Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
        View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• Anthony83
          • Nov 2012

Thanks to both of you for the replies/recommendations. I have now switched to a lotion that contain aloe vera and vitamin E.

While we are here, I am now 3 weeks post op and still experiencing redness in the recipient area. I have read that Aloe Vera and distilled witch hazel is good to use to reduce this. Do you have any other advice?

Comment

• gillenator
            • Dec 2008

Anthony,

Some doctors will recommend using a steroid cream to help reduce the lingering redness.

Dr. Charles is qualified to address this question.
            "Gillenator"
            Independent Patient Advocate
            more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

Working...