+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Protein Supps

Default Protein Supps

So I hopped on fin and hopefully over these next few months I can make it through w/out any sides or minimal. Would be a real peace of mind. However, I've been told to stay away from protein/workout supplements. I'm wondering if this still applies if I'm on fin or if it wouldn't hurt to take them. Any thoughts/experiences would be great.

protein is fine as far it does not have any steroids on it, working out is also fine.
    for supplements it depends, for example (Mega Men supplement) cause hair loss.
    so it really depends of what supplement you are planning to take.

Yeah, protein is fine. I've been taking nearly 200 grams a day for the past four months and my hair is as good as it's ever been.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jotronic View Post
    Yeah, protein is fine. I've been taking nearly 200 grams a day for the past four months and my hair is as good as it's ever been.
    then again joe, most of your hair on top is now dht resistant!

True but the hair below my part line on either side of my scalp is still very DHT sensitive. Without finasteride I'd be a full blown NW7 and my part is holding steady as it has for the past ten years. The bottom half of my crown is also not all HT hair and it too has held steady. I'm not the greatest example of how supplements don't thin hair, I know, but I would notice a difference on myself. I'm pretty aware of these things
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

I've seen some evidence (can't remember where) that protein shakes can actually be good for hair. Just take ones that are relatively pure whey protein. Costco carries bags of Cytosport protein powder that are pretty terrific--very low in artificial sweeteners like sucralose.

The workout supplements that you should stay away from are things like creatine (the jury is still somewhat out on whether it's bad for DHT-sensitive hair, but probably best not to chance it) and fat-cutting supplements like Hydroxycut. Workout supplements are a pretty unregulated industry, and they can dump a lot of stuff into those powders that is rough on your body (and hair).

Great thanks for the help. What about this guys?

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...946&cp=3703232

Dude that's a meal replacement protein shake for crying out loud. That will NOT cause hairloss. I have drank many of those from GNC (avoid vanilla, tastes gross). Those protein drinks are actually really good if you workout or if you are always on the go and need a quick meal replacement..but I digress..

I have been an avid gym guy for years. Took many supplements and still take a pre-workout to this day and never have noticed or experienced hairloss due to those products. Creatine MIGHT contribute to hairloss, as I noticed this slightly when I took it, but beyond that, saying protein or workout supplements cause hairloss is 100% retarded and baseless.

Steriods/Test are really the only performance enhancers that will cause hairloss for those predisposed to it. It basically expedites the process for those whom would already be bald years down the road. This is why I have avoided it.

I have used oxyelite (fat burner), pre workout (w/creatine) and proteins for over 9 years and I have never experienced hairloss due to those products, again, minus a few incidents while on creatine. But even that was very minor. Workout, get buff, avoid roids and you'll be golden. Trust me.