+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Newcomer, starting to bald at 20.

Hey all, just joined not to long ago. About a month ago I decided to go ahead and start using Rogaine 5% liquid and generic propecia 1mg a day after being told I got MPB from my doctor. I shed quite a few hair already, but from my peaking around the net, I understand that that shed is generally good, or at least i hope so. I was wondering if you guys or girls might tell me what norwood scale I'm at, and any recommendation or tips that I should follow at my age would be greatly appreciated. Turns out I got MPB from my grandfather on my moms side, kinda made me feel sad that I started losing my hair at such a young age, I was stressed out about a year ago, so that might have accelerated it a bit. My hairs a bit wet due to just applying rogaine to it. One other interesting fact is that my dad has a very window peaked hairline, its a V shape, though hes in no way bald at all. What do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg

Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	18193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg

Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	18194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg

Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	18195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg

Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	18196  

There is nothing you can do. All of us balding/baldies are waiting for an amazing cure to come along, if we are lucky we something may be out in 2-3 years. I would like to think something significant will be available within 10 years.

A lot of people on here will tell you to use something Propecia, it did nothing for me and costs money but others use it religiously and believe it works, but it only keeps the back half of the hair on your head apparently.

Personally I'd say:

1. Get a hair cut you are happy with, shave it off if you are brave enough.

2. Save some money incase in the next few years a cure comes out.

3. Get eye surgery.

4. Get in the gym and bulk up.

You caught it early so you may see some benefit from the min/propecia.

just monitor it to see your progress.

sausage= thanks for the info, ya most likely I will just patiently wait for results with medications and hopefully a better treatment/cure comes out in the following years. I use contacts so an eye surgery is on hold for now, Id rather stay away from HT for a while as I am quite young and I dont enjoy the feeling of having a scar on the back of my head, although I hear it can be quite small.

rdawg= thanks bud, doctor says its better to let it happen naturally, but I am not a big fan of going bald or losing all my hair in that case. Worse comes to worse and a HT is on the radar a few years from now. Looking forward with the min/propecia results though. Hopefully it will improve my hair a bit.

doctor says its better to let it happen naturally, but I am not a big fan of going bald or losing all my hair in that case. Worse comes to worse and a HT is on the radar a few years from now. Looking forward with the min/propecia results though. Hopefully it will improve my hair a bit.
    Hi 13,

Did the doctor say to eat well, take supplemental vitamins, try not to stress, get plenty of sleep, exercise, etc, etc, etc, etc?

As you know there is a massive amount of good information on this forum, I'm fairly new here myself, but I've gained considerably more knowledge from this forum than any advise given to me from doctors.

Not knowing your age folks here couldn't really say whether a hair transplant would be a good option, but it could be if your not too young. You should send an (pm email) to Spex or Gillenator. I believe their both consultants for top surgeons, they are not the type of people who would sell their souls for a buck, their both very experienced in the hair restoration field.

Also, try using the "search" function on this forum with their names, you will find an incredible wealth of knowledge without digging through thousands of threads.

Best of luck to you...!

-Dale-

Quote Originally Posted by inspects View Post
    Hi 13,

Did the doctor say to eat well, take supplemental vitamins, try not to stress, get plenty of sleep, exercise, etc, etc, etc, etc?

As you know there is a massive amount of good information on this forum, I'm fairly new here myself, but I've gained considerably more knowledge from this forum than any advise given to me from doctors.

Not knowing your age folks here couldn't really say whether a hair transplant would be a good option, but it could be if your not too young. You should send an (pm email) to Spex or Gillenator. I believe their both consultants for top surgeons, they are not the type of people who would sell their souls for a buck, their both very experienced in the hair restoration field.

Also, try using the "search" function on this forum with their names, you will find an incredible wealth of knowledge without digging through thousands of threads.

Best of luck to you...!

-Dale-
    Thank you Dale, appreciate your post and have read through it all. I am indeed reading as much as I can in this forum which has proven to be very helpful.
    Tell you the truth doctor was a bit biased in many topics, I asked him a variety of questions, I already work out and I take a multivitamin and get quite a lot of protein from my shakes. He did say that one of his concerns is he believes that people that are diagnosed with mpb have a higher chance of accelerating it if lifting weights, he did not include running which puzzles me.

He also asked me how often do I masturbate to which I replied every day unless I am not feeling the need to(seems to be happening more now that I'm taking min/propecia). He told me that while masturbation does in no way cause it, but it accelerates it in people with mpb, which I also found weird.

I just turned 20 and have seen a representative of Dr.Rahal located in Ottawa. He recommended I wait a year or two to see how my mpb turns out. He also did say right now I would need about 2500 grafts. But I am scared of receiving a scar that might stretch out, so I'm not sure of what to do right now. Thank you for your insight btw.

I just turned 20 and have seen a representative of Dr.Rahal located in Ottawa. He recommended I wait a year or two to see how my mpb turns out. He also did say right now I would need about 2500 grafts. But I am scared of receiving a scar that might stretch out, so I'm not sure of what to do right now. Thank you for your insight btw.
    Ahh...you have your age in the name of the thread...sorry about that, I wasn't paying attention.

Sounds like good information from the doctor. If you have a good doctor you won't even see the scar unless you actually looked. I had a transplant in July, using a mirror and comb I can barely see mine. And you have the FUE option naturally, which is what I plan on having done in the year ahead.

I went with the FUT method to get as many follicles as possible the first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by inspects View Post
    Sounds like good information from the doctor. If you have a good doctor you won't even see the scar unless you actually looked. I had a transplant in July, using a mirror and comb I can barely see mine. And you have the FUE option naturally, which is what I plan on having done in the year ahead.
    Ya the representative told me of the FUE as well, which cases barely to no scarring, although it is double the price of FUT which can be quite costly at my age. I have also researched about quite a few good doctors, although seeing results of Dr.Rahal patients, he is one stunning doctor in Canada, and he is pretty close from Toronto. I am also undecided on a HT because of all new possibilities to cures that could arise in the next few years 3-5. One can only hope. Thank you for the useful information.

Stay on the fin and minox...try eventually adding Niz. I can appreciate the fact it may cost a lot of $ for a 20 year old. My thougts are that it may be worth the piece of mind that you did all you could even if things progress for the worse. My guess is that you stand a great chance of benefiting as you started on meds right away. You seem to have a healthy outlook on whatever is to come which is probably the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 13last View Post
    Ya the representative told me of the FUE as well, which cases barely to no scarring, although it is double the price of FUT which can be quite costly at my age. I have also researched about quite a few good doctors, although seeing results of Dr.Rahal patients, he is one stunning doctor in Canada, and he is pretty close from Toronto. I am also undecided on a HT because of all new possibilities to cures that could arise in the next few years 3-5. One can only hope. Thank you for the useful information.
    I surely understand, like so many others here, losing hair at a young age really takes an emotional toll. There very well could be some type of hair regeneration in the next few years, we can only hope at the moment.

I'm taking Propecia and using Minoxidil, my hair loss has stopped, but I wouldn't take Fin if I was in my 20's from what I've read. Poor time to be messing with hormones.

From the pictures and posts about Dr. Rahal, I believe you are correct, he seems to be one of top surgeons available. You sound like you've done you're research, this is a good thing. I surely wish the best for you, regardless of what you choose.