+ Reply to Thread

Angry Genetics not looking to bright for me (17 years old)

Hey guys,

I want your guys input:

I am 17 years old, and was born with a major widows peak, pretty much a NW2, I have pictures of me when I'm like 10 years old and its there.

However at this stage I am almost certain I am also receding (I was born with receded temples) but I am quite positive they have receded/thinned more, and I think my "V" shaped widows peak may be beginning to take the typical MPB "U" shape.

Last night I took a black shirt (I have blonde hair) and tussled my hair or whatever for 30 seconds and then counted the hairs - I counted 17 hairs. That seems like a lot of hair? They all had a follicle attached btw.

Here is how my genetics family looks:

My dad has a full head of thick hair, he has a barely mature hairline, at 45.
    My uncles on his side vary, about 3 are bald/baliding. One other has a full head like my dad, and the oldest has a receding/mature hairline.
    My paternal grandfather I cant remember as I only met him once (lives in another country) and that was some years ago, but I think he had a fullish head of hair, but I honestly dont remember.

On my paternal side, I saw a picture of my grandfather and he was a slick Norwood 7. Not a Norwood 6, but a solid Norwood 7.
    And I've only seen one pic of one of my moms brothers (so my maternal uncles) and he was rocking the chrome dome...

So I've already come to the conclusion I am most likely going to go bald... I've already accepted it, I mean honestly there is strong balding on both sides of the family. I just want your guy's opinion. Also I'm hoping I don't hit NW7 or it takes me a very long time to hit NW7 (aka hopefully a cure will be out by then).

You say you have accepted it - but just accept that is the way it is just for now. It isnt a life sentance. Few things/ situations in this life are permanent - hair loss is no different.

I think you are too young for meds or a transplant. However, You will still likely be a very young man when much better treatments come out.

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    Hey guys,

I want your guys input:

I am 17 years old, and was born with a major widows peak, pretty much a NW2, I have pictures of me when I'm like 10 years old and its there.

However at this stage I am almost certain I am also receding (I was born with receded temples) but I am quite positive they have receded/thinned more, and I think my "V" shaped widows peak may be beginning to take the typical MPB "U" shape.

Last night I took a black shirt (I have blonde hair) and tussled my hair or whatever for 30 seconds and then counted the hairs - I counted 17 hairs. That seems like a lot of hair? They all had a follicle attached btw.

Here is how my genetics family looks:

My dad has a full head of thick hair, he has a barely mature hairline, at 45.
    My uncles on his side vary, about 3 are bald/baliding. One other has a full head like my dad, and the oldest has a receding/mature hairline.
    My paternal grandfather I cant remember as I only met him once (lives in another country) and that was some years ago, but I think he had a fullish head of hair, but I honestly dont remember.

On my paternal side, I saw a picture of my grandfather and he was a slick Norwood 7. Not a Norwood 6, but a solid Norwood 7.
    And I've only seen one pic of one of my moms brothers (so my maternal uncles) and he was rocking the chrome dome...

So I've already come to the conclusion I am most likely going to go bald... I've already accepted it, I mean honestly there is strong balding on both sides of the family. I just want your guy's opinion. Also I'm hoping I don't hit NW7 or it takes me a very long time to hit NW7 (aka hopefully a cure will be out by then).
    Baldness is inherited from both mother and father. Your dad had the gene recessively from his father and it was never expressed or active in him but the combination of the pairing of his and your mom's genetics her side of the family either her mother or father passed down the other component gene that activated the chromosome in you where the testosterone and hormones levels are at their peak causing more conversion of DHT( dihydrotestosterone) and the 5AR enzyme that inhibits hair growth and causing the dreaded male pattern balding. You have spotted things early and that is your chance to perhaps saving your hairline before it is ravaged by this aberration.