+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 21 and might be starting to bald

Hi everyone,

I turned 21 this year and I've recently noticed (or so I think) that I've started to lose hair. It's mostly been around my hairline, which has receded slightly but only so much that I notice it. Everyone whom I ask tells me that I'm fine and not to worry about it and how I have a thick head of hair, but - and this is something I'm sure quite a few of you here will empathize with - I still don't feel reassured.

By way of background, I've been taking Roaccutane for about six months now and my dermatologist increased my dose in September, which is when I started to notice it more. My dad is 50 and balding but not completely bald while my maternal grandfather had a full head of thick black hair when he passed away at 84. I've spoken to a couple of doctors but they feel that I'm fine. They've also said that things like Propecia/Minoxidil are not guaranteed to work and that if I do use them, I would have to do so forever otherwise all the hair that would've fallen out eventually will.

All in all, the issue has really annoyed and stressed me out, so I would very much appreciate some advice from you kind folk. I have attached some pictures of my hair from various angles so that you guys can take a look for yourselves. Thank you in advance for your help and please feel free to ask if you need any additional information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17122012773.jpg

Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	18185   Click image for larger version

Name:	17122012774.jpg

Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	18186   Click image for larger version

Name:	17122012775.jpg

Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	18187   Click image for larger version

Name:	17122012778.jpg

Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	18188  

Quote Originally Posted by Confused91 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I turned 21 this year and I've recently noticed (or so I think) that I've started to lose hair. It's mostly been around my hairline, which has receded slightly but only so much that I notice it. Everyone whom I ask tells me that I'm fine and not to worry about it and how I have a thick head of hair, but - and this is something I'm sure quite a few of you here will empathize with - I still don't feel reassured.

By way of background, I've been taking Roaccutane for about six months now and my dermatologist increased my dose in September, which is when I started to notice it more. My dad is 50 and balding but not completely bald while my maternal grandfather had a full head of thick black hair when he passed away at 84. I've spoken to a couple of doctors but they feel that I'm fine. They've also said that things like Propecia/Minoxidil are not guaranteed to work and that if I do use them, I would have to do so forever otherwise all the hair that would've fallen out eventually will.

All in all, the issue has really annoyed and stressed me out, so I would very much appreciate some advice from you kind folk. I have attached some pictures of my hair from various angles so that you guys can take a look for yourselves. Thank you in advance for your help and please feel free to ask if you need any additional information.

It would be foolish to trust us vs. a doctor. However there is no disagreement b/t the two. You are not balding.

Quote Originally Posted by typicallyconcerned View Post
    It would be foolish to trust us vs. a doctor. However there is no disagreement b/t the two. You are not balding.
    Thanks for your opinion. I am not seeking a definitive opinion from anyone right now, although obviously doctors are better qualified to give one in this respect. I am simply asking you guys because I am guessing quite a few of you might have/may be going through the same thing. Also, of the two doctors that I've seen, one (a man) said that I have the beginning of MPB while another (a woman) said that I do not. So it appears that they are divided on the subject even amongst themselves.

Cut your hair short, dumbass. That'll give you a much better perspective, if you think you're losing any hair.

Anyone else with any advice that's actually constructive?

Ignore clearence, his jealous that you have thick hair.

Your temple from the right side seems to be thinning. Can you take a picture where your holding your hairline back?

I see your concern. The fact of the matter is it's going to be extremely difficult to be 100% sure whether you have MPB or not at this stage. So you can do one of two things. Assume you don't and be happy; or assume you do & treat yourself and be happy. If you're looking to generalize the opinions you see on this site (60% say not MPB) and act on that... i understand

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    I am jealous. But let's see if that jealousy lasts, once this mane is cut short. A benefit of a shorter hair style is that it helps to tell whether there are differences in thickness between the top and the sides/back. It's hard to detect thinning, if there is any, with this hair lenght at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post

Your temple from the right side seems to be thinning. Can you take a picture where your holding your hairline back?
    Yeah I'll give it a shot after I wash my hair today.

The fact of the matter is that I am a foreign student studying in another country and I will not be able to go home for the Christmas holiday and therefore see my regular dermatologist, who would most certainly put my mind at ease either way. The next earliest time that I can go home might be in February, but I'm worried that the situation will deteriorate until then and that I could do something now to stop it. But as I said, Propecia seems a bit heavy-duty and unnecessary at this stage, while from what I've heard Minoxidil requires you to essentially use it forever. The whole story is extremely frustrating, as I want to and feel that I should do something but I can't right now.

You would know if you were losing hair.....

when you wash your hair, a lot would be coming out. Lather your head with shampoo then look at your hand....if lots of hair....then you are probably balding.

Also if it's easy for you to pull her out with little to no pain then again you are probably balding.

I can't really tell anything from those photos.