+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing Plugs?

Default Removing Plugs?

Hello Everyone: I made the Big mistake in 1973 of getting a hair transplant. I have been hiding this for almost 40 years, I was ok with it until I got heart disease and the medicine is making my hair fall out fast, I am in desperate need of getting rid of this transplant so I can just shave my head.
    The donor area in the back is no problem, its the top that is giving me the problem.
    My question is, is it possible to have the plugs removed and make my head smooth so I can shave it or is this impossible?

Please dont mention getting more hair around the plugs, I have had it with transplants, beside it would do me no good as I am on this heart medicine for the rest of my life (which probably wont be too much longer) I am 67 next month!
    I really need help with this, so if anyone knows of someone that can help me please let me know? Thanks

Yes you should be able to have the plugs removed.You may be left with some scarring though.

You will neeed to send some good quality pictures of your situation to doctors for them to assess your situation and if possible go see a few of them for a personal consult.

Maybe post some pictures on here for the members to offer their opinions too.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Take care

bm.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Yes you should be able to have the plugs removed.You may be left with some scarring though.

You will neeed to send some good quality pictures of your situation to doctors for them to assess your situation and if possible go see a few of them for a personal consult.

Maybe post some pictures on here for the members to offer their opinions too.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Take care

bm.
    Bigmac: Thanks, I dont know if I can afford to have it done, will have to see how much it costs to remove plugs, as far as the scars go, I just heard on tv, they have a new procedure I think its called "Scar Laser Resurficing" they use it now on burn victims. and they showed you how it works and it is suppose to completely removes the scars with smooth skin as the result. it was on channel 17 in philadelphia, trying to find out more about it.
    I hope I can find someone in the philadelphia area that can remove the plugs?

I`m in the UK so not heard about that on tv.

As for the Philly area,if thats near New York you have a good choice of docs there to consult with to get their opnions.

Theres doctors Bernstein,Dorin,Feller and True which i know are there and there may be more.

BM.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Plugs can always be removed. What is left behind is the real question. Will the skin be smooth or have small indentations? Will there be any hyper or hypo pigmented spots? In my experience with removing plugs is that most of the time the skin is smooth after adequate healing. However, there often is dark spots left on lighter skin types and light spots left on darker skin types. I have had a few cases where the plug spots were very difficult to find afterwards, but this not the norm. The fact that you plan to shave your head will make it harder to hide any skin abnormalities. If there is a new laser that can take away scars this would be a major breakthrough. If you find any additional information about this new procedure please share it with us. I am sure there are many others that have scars they would love to get rid of.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Sorry all this time I did not know that there were replies to
    my thread. I did not get any emails from this site.
    Anyway I am going to do my best to get pictures of my
    Plugs and post back here with them.
    Meanwhile does anyone know an email address or phone
    numbers for either Dr Bernstein, or Dr Dorin or Dr Feller
    would appreciate any help with this, I am in phila. but
    would go to New york for this treatment to remove Hair Plugs! Thank You All Very Much, Hope to hear from some
    one on this forum, Tom