+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Denial – “This can’t be happening, not to me.”

Denial is usually only a temporary defence, but this first stage of discovery is a huge, huge shock, there’s no doubt about it. It’s the stage where you start checking your hairline every time you go to the bathroom just to see if it’s really thinning a bit. You might be checking the floor when you shower and thinking that there is an increasing number of strands to clear up. You might be asking discreet questions of friends and family members, while trying not to give away your reason for asking. Sooner or later you will realise the inevitable.

Anger – “Why me? It’s not fair!”; “How can this happen to me?” “Who is to blame?”

When you get to this stage you know that denial cannot continue, but now there is the maelstrom of emotion coming at you in waves and you are a pain to be around. All the implications of losing your hair hit you like a ten ton truck. You may resent people who aren’t losing their hair. You probably start trying to cover up the loss and grasp at any straw that might help stem the flow.

This and the next two stages are the most dangerous for making any kind of decision regarding treatment or restoration but sadly this is the time when most men will embark on the journey from which there is no return once started. If you are here, please, please, please, allow yourself to get through to the final stage before you make any decisions. Decisions made in panicky haste will end in regret and you very well might make matters worse.

Bargaining –”I’ll do anything to get my hair back.”; “I will give my life savings if…”

This third stage involves the hope that you can somehow postpone or delay the inevitable. In desperation you are very likely to make bad decisions, waste money, and be vulnerable to the predators in the hair loss industry who will promise you deliverance from your woe and then just add to it.

Depression – “I’m so fed up, why bother with anything?”; “What’s the point?”

This is effectively a grieving stage. You are grieving all the things that you think you have lost. The certainty of your hair loss hits you. You may isolate yourself and remove yourself from your social circle. Hats become your new fashion accessory of choice. The best thing you can do is to give yourself some time and just sit with the emotions, a box of tissues and a punch bag. Confide in a friend who can be there to support you. Let the emotions flow through and out. Cry when you need to, punch the bag when you need to, rant at your friend. Just don’t bottle things up. If you can take control of this stage and help it along on your terms, then it will soon pass.

Acceptance – “It’s going to be okay.”; “I can’t fight it, I may as well prepare for it.”

In this last stage, you accept your male pattern baldness. You may choose to live with it or try to do something about it. Many men will choose to accept their hair loss as part of life. After all it is a normal genetic trait and there are plenty of those traits that we can’t control (height, bone structure, handsomeness). We can either accept the genetic cards we are dealt or try to change the hand. Either way, the emotional storm has calmed by this stage and you are in a much better place to make the decisions that are right for you.

Whatever stage you are at, just try to research on through various means with curiosity and calm. The old adage ‘Act in haste, repent at leisure’ is so, so true when it comes to dealing with your hair loss!
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Denial

Anger – “Why me? It’s not fair!”; “How can this happen to me?” “Who is to blame?”

Bargaining –”I’ll do anything to get my hair back.”; “I will give my life savings if…”
    HAHA nice Spex, I'm between anger and bargaining. Started using treatments at NW1.

2 years ago i discovered i was balding. My doctor told me that directly in my face and offered me Propecia. i thought that he worked for them lol, because it wasn't that obvious that i was balding.. i didn't believe him at first..

then i researched propecia and didn't want to take the risk.
    after that i researched minoxidil, i didn't want to put twice a day.. didn't want to live my life thinking about when to take propecia, and put minoxidil..

but when i discovered rogaine foam, a year ago, i started applying it once day.

i don't have any regrets, yeah i hate baldness, but i'm not interested to spend my whole day dealing with my baldness thing.

i'm norwoord 2-3, and i'm just trying to keep my hair for the next future treatment. if histogen fails, i will buzz it and continue living my life happily.

Quote Originally Posted by Scientalk56 View Post
    2 years ago i discovered i was balding. My doctor told me that directly in my face and offered me Propecia. i thought that he worked for them lol, because it wasn't that obvious that i was balding.. i didn't believe him at first..

then i researched propecia and didn't want to take the risk.
    after that i researched minoxidil, i didn't want to put twice a day.. didn't want to live my life thinking about when to take propecia, and put minoxidil..

but when i discovered rogaine foam, a year ago, i started applying it once day.

i don't have any regrets, yeah i hate baldness, but i'm not interested to spend my whole day dealing with my baldness thing.

i'm norwoord 2-3, and i'm just trying to keep my hair for the next future treatment. if histogen fails, i will buzz it and continue living my life happily.

the thing whats ironic is the those who are bald and get on with without even bitching and just take it in their stride are those who probably feel better about themselves as opposed to someone fighting for it. maybe its as spex above says just acceptance and that. i do feel sorry for those who are bald and hate it and seeing how it affects them. its affected me anyway, and my confidence. past xmas's ive been looking forward to a playstation and a game now this xmas i need to buy more minox and fin!! thats when it really sinks in how much i hate this struggle! im a norwood 2.5 so im hanging on in there, but kudos to ya for the post, also to do those who are fighting the good fight.

I think the acceptance thing is that we are going bald. Thus no medication is gong to restore our full head of hair. Paying all this money per month for temporary results was not my choice. It was denying the inevitable.

So once i figured out how bald i was going to get and how fast, I hit the acceptance stage and it came down to a simple choice.

Get thinner and thinner and eventually go bald, or permanently fix my hair.

Each individual handles their balding differently. I've known I've been balding since I was 15 or 16. I knew I had diffuse thinning as after taking Accutane I noticed my hair getting thinner on top. I didn't develop recision until I was about 24. I personally was upset that I was balding but I didn't think there was a real answer so I accepted that I was balding while hating it. Unfortunately, I waited too long to try and address the issue. I'm probably a NW 2.5 but my hair is very thin from the diffuse thinning that in some pictures I look like a NW 4a. I'm hoping since I haven't lost the hair, the follicles have only miniaturized noticeably, that finasteride will help me thicken up what I have.

Didn't start using anything til I hit about NW2. I started using minoxidil then, it seemed to slow it a bit but the loss continued.

gradually after maybe a year and a half-2 years I became an NW3 like I am now, finally started on fin(i actually had no clue what it was until about a year ago) about 6 or so months ago.

I'm about the same now, hopefully fin does something for me, after I hit a year though and if my hair gets worse, I'm out of options until the next stuff comes along!

It's gonna take me a bit to fully accept this, at least while I wait for new stuff, but I'm slowly adjusting. It was not fun losing your hair at 18 or so though, feels like a piece of your youth gets taken away.

When I discovered my thinning crown around Thanksgiving of 2010, I was surely in denial. How could this happen to me? No way, the barber must have messed up and took a chunk without a clipper. I still had a thick head of hair with NW0 hairline, but a quick glance at my family history of baldness made things very clear. I was 25 at that time, while all my cousins even those younger were NW3 and NW4.

I did do something about my hair loss while I was a NW0. I got on propecia after treating SD condition, and for awhile I forgot about my hair. It was thick, crown saw solid improvement, there were zero signs I was suffering from hair loss. Fast forward to 9 years later and the same feelings hit me once again. I’m now a NW 1.5 with a tall forehead that gets more difficult to hide, I’m headed to an aggressive pattern my gut says because propecia lost its effectiveness. It seems to have just stopped working period.

No matter when you catch the problem and address it, you are only delaying the inevitable. I’m not sure if Avodart will turn things around for me since I’m hesitant to take the 1st pill, there is no denying that even at 34 I feel robbed of my youth. I still took the last 9 years for granted. I imagined being in my 50’s still rocking a full head. Fantasy it was, short lived. Hair loss wether on a small scale or large, the emotional psychological feelings are the same. The uncertainty, the emotional trauma, the regrets of not fully cherishing the good times. We all are destined to the same fate, unless a miracle cure comes around. I thought “pop a pill a day and forget about it” was easy..whats hard is the uncertainty that it may stop working at any given moment. That I can relate..my instincts were correct. It will be over for me soon