+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Newcomer, possibly dealing with MPB?

Hello there everyone! I am a 21 year old male, and about a month ago I noticed that I am shedding a lot of hairs a day. I am probably losing 200+ a day, and even as I type this I just had to wipe a hair out of my face that fell and was dangling on my eye. I used to have my hair short, but about 7 months ago my girlfriend at the time asked me if I was going bald, and I said no, to which she replied "well it looks like you have a receding hairline." Also when I was in 8th grade one of my friends told me I had a (very slight) receding hairline already and that I was going to be bald. I didn't even know what that meant at the time. So now it looks like both of them were right, although I'm not certain. When I was 19 my hairline was pretty much flawless besides the slight recession I had on my left side since I was younger. Now it has become very noticeable. All of my friends have short hair and none of them have recession, and if they do it just looks like a mature hairline. Mine seems to be a bit worse. My mother told me that she met my dad when he was 23 and he was already noticeably going bald by that point. However my paternal grandfather is only just now starting to thin out at age 70, and my maternal grandfather is only thinning at age 64. My mother says I don't look like I'm thinning, but the fact that I'm shedding so much hair and my hairline is receding makes me think otherwise. I think she can't tell because I have my hair a bit longer.

I was thinking about going to a dermatologist, but I figured I'd post a few pictures on the forum before I do. I know I still have a lot of hair, and I've seen some people bash on others for having a lot of hair and asking this question lol, but if I am going bald I would like to catch it before it gets worse. I am a musician and an introvert, so I would really like to keep a full head of hair for as long as possible. I wouldn't mind it if I started going bald after age 30, but my dad was already a 3V or 4 by then. With that being said, do you guys think this is just a mature hairline or is it MPB? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0466.jpg

Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	18071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg

Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	18072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg

Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	18073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg

Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	18074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg

Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	18075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg

Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	18076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg

Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	18077  

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Hello there everyone! I am a 21 year old male, and about a month ago I noticed that I am shedding a lot of hairs a day. I am probably losing 200+ a day, and even as I type this I just had to wipe a hair out of my face that fell and was dangling on my eye. I used to have my hair short, but about 7 months ago my girlfriend at the time asked me if I was going bald, and I said no, to which she replied "well it looks like you have a receding hairline." Also when I was in 8th grade one of my friends told me I had a (very slight) receding hairline already and that I was going to be bald. I didn't even know what that meant at the time. So now it looks like both of them were right, although I'm not certain. When I was 19 my hairline was pretty much flawless besides the slight recession I had on my left side since I was younger. Now it has become very noticeable. All of my friends have short hair and none of them have recession, and if they do it just looks like a mature hairline. Mine seems to be a bit worse. My mother told me that she met my dad when he was 23 and he was already noticeably going bald by that point. However my paternal grandfather is only just now starting to thin out at age 70, and my maternal grandfather is only thinning at age 64. My mother says I don't look like I'm thinning, but the fact that I'm shedding so much hair and my hairline is receding makes me think otherwise. I think she can't tell because I have my hair a bit longer.

I was thinking about going to a dermatologist, but I figured I'd post a few pictures on the forum before I do. I know I still have a lot of hair, and I've seen some people bash on others for having a lot of hair and asking this question lol, but if I am going bald I would like to catch it before it gets worse. I am a musician and an introvert, so I would really like to keep a full head of hair for as long as possible. I wouldn't mind it if I started going bald after age 30, but my dad was already a 3V or 4 by then. With that being said, do you guys think this is just a mature hairline or is it MPB? Thanks!
    It's MPB if your loosing over 200+ hairs a day, your making the right step by going to a dermatologist.

Looks like you're in the early stages. Definitely wise to see a dermatologist. If treatment is going to work for you, you've caught it early enough to likely enjoy a mane for most of your adult life, in my opinion. And yes, there are a lot salty, bald dudes on this forum will rag on you or talk condescending because you're young and you've identified your MPB early in onset. Take it as a compliment; haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Looks like you're in the early stages. Definitely wise to see a dermatologist. If treatment is going to work for you, you've caught it early enough to likely enjoy a mane for most of your adult life, in my opinion. And yes, there are a lot salty, bald dudes on this forum will rag on you or talk condescending because you're young and you've identified your MPB early in onset. Take it as a compliment; haters gonna hate.
    Haha haters gon hate. Love it

Looks like you guys were right! I went to the dermatologist today, and she told me my hairline looks like the typical beginning of MPB. She prescribed me to some sort of hair stimulant shampoo and finasteride. I am kind of worried about taking the fin. Anyone want to give me some encouragement? What can I expect month by month with usage? For example, shedding, regrowth, when will I notice it is working etc.

Looks like you guys were right! I went to the dermatologist today, and she told me my hairline looks like the typical beginning of MPB. She prescribed me to some sort of hair stimulant shampoo and finasteride. I am kind of worried about taking the fin. Anyone want to give me some encouragement? What can I expect month by month with usage? For example, shedding, regrowth, when will I notice it is working etc.
    What's the name of the shampoo she prescribed you?

Did she prescribed you propecia or proscar?

Fin is the most potent hair loss medication out there right now that is approved by the FDA. If you really care about your hair, then take the medication. I started with propecia 1mg a day, the only side effect I notice was low libido but after 4 months it went away. Just make sure you stick threw it. The sheds only lasted up to 1 month and it alter with the help of minoxidil/rogaine.

I'm not sure what shampoo she prescribed me. The pharmacist said she was going to have to call in to order it, so I wasn't able to pick it up today. The derm prescribed 5 mg of finasteride to be split into 4ths. That would be proscar if I'm not mistaken. How long did it take you to notice improvements in your hair? Do you think it will have any effect on my growth, seeing as I am only 21 and my body has yet to reach full maturity?

I'm not sure what shampoo she prescribed me. The pharmacist said she was going to have to call in to order it, so I wasn't able to pick it up today. The derm prescribed 5 mg of finasteride to be split into 4ths. That would be proscar if I'm not mistaken.
    Yeah it's Proscar which is alot cheaper then propecia, check out the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UUjPNTr9eM

like i said before, if you love your hair then take the plunge.

From fear of you being led astray you should make sure you are 100% sure about the side effects and make sure you make the decision, not others. Fin is a huge success story from the majority but it isn't as glamorous for others.

Hey typicallyconcerned, I saw that your balls have been hurting. Lol. Sorry to hear that. Mine hurt a little bit too. I just took the first pill about 5 hours ago and they started hurting after about 2 hours. They hurt a lot for like 5-10 minutes, but now they only hurt a little bit. Did the pain increase as you continued? I'm going to take it for a few more days and see how I feel. I only took .5 today btw, and I plan on sticking with that dose for now