+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If you read about 20 children being shot to death, and your reaction is to worry about the government taking your guns (as if that would change your life any way what so ever), you need to seriously look at yourself and question your priorities
    My first reaction was to think about the kids and their families, but that's just me.
    & it is true other countries have worse violence problems. This is not the place to bring that up to try to minimize what happened in USA. Sometimes when a kid dies in a car crash, a memorial is created at the site of the crash. Would you go there and start protesting about undue focus on that incident? Like "come on, people die in crashes all over, why not weep for them"?
    The way some people react to tragedy is just embarrassing.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Great insight 25/65 ! A LOGICAL way to look at it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Apparently, BigThinker, your not thinking very big after-all based upon what you have just stated here. Among other things you said-"gun control isn't going to fix this. It's just going to piss a bunch of people off.."
    Really? How do you know that as being a fact?
    You lack empathy and smack of pessimism.
    Dr Jeffrey Sachs has recently addressed this issue with FACTS.
    He used Australia as a good example of what real gun control could do--

"America needs to find a better way.
    Other countries have done so. Between the mid-1970’s and the mid-1990’s, Australia had several mass shootings. After a particularly horrible massacre in 1996, a new prime minister, John Howard, declared that enough was enough. He instituted a severe crackdown on gun ownership, and forced would-be gun owners to submit to a rigorous application process, and to document why they would need a gun.

Conditions for gun ownership in Australia are now very strict, and the registration and approval process can take a year or more. Howard’s government also implemented a rigorous “buyback” policy, to enable the government to purchase guns already owned by the public.

The policy WORKED. While violent crime has not ended in Australia, murders are DOWN, and, even more dramatically, there has NOT been a single mass shooting since 1996 in which three or more people died (the definition used in many studies of mass shootings). Before the crackdown, there had been 13 such massacres in 18 years.."
    Do some studying 'BigThinker
    So, you cite an economist's opinion and think you can draw parallels between two different counties? Want me to google 5 different individuals with more appropriate academic and political backgrounds to refute your point? That's what you apparently consider "studying" or self-education. Haha. Wow.

I literally laughed out loud when you questioned my intelligence, so thanks for that. You probably haven't even attended an accredited University. Don't think for a single moment that you are 1% as intelligent or academically accomplished as me, you imbecilic bum. Truth hurts, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Great insight 25/65 ! A LOGICAL way to look at it all.
    Wait, you do realize he just said we shouldn't try to draw parallels between different countries, right? And then you agreed with him after having provided "evidence" utilizing the opposite tactic. You basically tore down your own argument before I had time to respond. I guess your stupidity and lack of education are more powerful than my forum responsiveness. Bummer.

You're the type they should weed out of the voting polls with IQ tests.

We can definitely draw some parallels between different countries when it comes to things like gun laws. My point was, this is not an appropriate place for people to minimize the tragedy in USA by saying eg "oh but why not weep for the children dying in Africa every day." Regardless whether they bring up a valid point, they are doing it in a horrible way by piggy backing off of this massacre

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

You seem to have personal issues there BigThinker. I hope you enjoyed your own responses and that they made you feel good about yourself.
    This thread is intended to recognize the sad loss of those innocent children and to show concern and respect.
    It isn't here for someone like you to express your personal agenda or to also immaturely attempt to insult.