+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hairline Designs for Hair Transplants

Ahead of my hair transplant in February with Dr Feriduni, my thoughts have turned to hairline designs.

I believe the hairline is of huge importance, therefore I'm looking for some feedback about what design I should go for. I'd also like to know what anyone else has done in advance of their hair transplant, in terms of preparing to discuss with the doctor their exact requirements. Did you go with a hairline design in mind? Perhaps a mock up of your own, or photos of guys with hairlines you liked?

Here is a photo* of the design my doctor has recommended:

The brown line is a conservative approach, and the orange line is more ambitious. The red line illustrates the entire treated area. I've opted for the orange, which will require approximately 2,600 grafts.

*taken when minoxidil had ravished my hairline - it's actually a lot thicker now. That may impact on how many grafts I need, but I'll wait until I see the doctor in February.

I've done a mockup of my own. Literally took a few minutes in Paint - as if that needed pointing out.... If anyone can help me come up with something better, perhaps using Photoshop, please get in touch.

Mockup:

Thoughts welcome

Personally, I like this design for you. Check it...

www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Doctor Representative
    UK available to meet London and south east.

Hi Chrisis

Firstly all the best for your upcoming surgery.

Many factors need to be taken into account when designing a hair line and how aggressive or conservative it should be. Age, medication, loss potential, donor density etc being the obvious.

The lower a hair line the more surface area to cover if one were to lose further behind, so, the future and longevity issues need to be considered.

Some people come to consultations armed with photos of celebrities they wish to look emulate in terms of hair line design. Many asking for a "Brad Pitt" hair line do not have a "Brad Pitt" face and what it meant by this is that their bone structure is totally different, so what looks good and natural on one person would not look the same on another.

Sometimes taking photos of oneself when younger to the consultation is a better idea as it shows at least a natural hair line that was once there. This doesn't mean it will be wise to totally replicate but at least an idea is there with regards to design potential.

Be as conservative as possible, you will only get older and not younger and an aggressive hair line that looks good now may not be the same in years to come and make sure you have the donor to finish the job in the event of future loss, so ensure not to "front load" your grafts at the cost of future coverage.

Sometimes less is more and I think the best transplants make a difference without changing the natural appearance of a person, rolling back the years is better than re-inventing someone.

As said all the best and I am sure you will be in good hands.
    Representative for IAHRS Member, Dr. Chris Bisanga
    View Dr. Bisanga's IAHRS Profile

That is a great answer from SL.

Age, medication, rate of loss, miniaturisation of the scalp, potential futher loss, closer relatives hair loss, donor density etc are all components that need to be considered.

I would personally let Dr Feriduni design your hairline chrisis and wouldn't speculate on what you might/might not have as it might not be what is best for you.

Has he looked up close at your hair yet?

I think agree with Jotronic out of the two pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotronic View Post
    Personally, I like this design for you. Check it...
    Thanks Jotronic, I like it! I might use it to show Dr Feriduni what I'd like

Quote Originally Posted by SL View Post
    Hi Chrisis

Firstly all the best for your upcoming surgery.

Many factors need to be taken into account when designing a hair line and how aggressive or conservative it should be. Age, medication, loss potential, donor density etc being the obvious.
    Hi SL, I agree with your comments and appreciate the well wishes. I think the hairline design I want (something along the lines of Jotronic's photo) is not too ambitious, and won't be too risky. My hairline has been stable for the last 6 months and my crown is solid. My grandfather on my maternal side only had recession at the angles too.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdav View Post

I would personally let Dr Feriduni design your hairline chrisis and wouldn't speculate on what you might/might not have as it might not be what is best for you.

Has he looked up close at your hair yet?
    Dr Feriduni encourages his patients to tell him what they'd like. Doctors should listen to their patients, especially when it's a cosmetic procedure. I consider myself astute enough after researching the topic thoroughly to have a valid opinion about what I want.

Chris a good question to consider is what kind of hairline would look good on your grandfather because that will be your hairline when you get older?

Then of course how many total grafts do you have in the bank, what is the exact number? How many will you use to achieve this result and does the risk justify the reward considering any further hair loss? If it looks like a safe bet than the hairline you have suggested might very well be a good idea.

'The lower a hair line the more surface area to cover if one were to lose further behind, so, the future and longevity issues need to be considered.'

'Some people come to consultations armed with photos of celebrities they wish to look emulate in terms of hair line design. Many asking for a "Brad Pitt" hair line do not have a "Brad Pitt" face and what it meant by this is that their bone structure is totally different, so what looks good and natural on one person would not look the same on another.'

I think they are two very important points, and the second one is not raised often enough I think when younger guys in particular are thinking of hairline work.

Your hair in your avi looks perfect man, just return it to that! Maybe bring the corners of the hairline in very slightly. I really don't think you need something drastic, you still look good in the other pics (no homo).

Quote Originally Posted by topcat View Post
    Chris a good question to consider is what kind of hairline would look good on your grandfather because that will be your hairline when you get older?
    My maternal grandfather died in his 40s, I never met him. I've heard he had a strong crown and only recession, like me, so maybe that's a good sign. My other grandfather (RIP) had more hair loss, but I don't take after him really.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdav View Post
    'Some people come to consultations armed with photos of celebrities they wish to look emulate in terms of hair line design. Many asking for a "Brad Pitt" hair line do not have a "Brad Pitt" face and what it meant by this is that their bone structure is totally different, so what looks good and natural on one person would not look the same on another.'

I think they are two very important points, and the second one is not raised often enough I think when younger guys in particular are thinking of hairline work.
    It would be valid but I had a strong hairline and it worked with my face fine when I was 18/19:

All I want to do is restore that. I do think I have strong facial features as well. I'm not Brad Pitt, but I have enough to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Your hair in your avi looks perfect man, just return it to that! Maybe bring the corners of the hairline in very slightly. I really don't think you need something drastic, you still look good in the other pics (no homo).
    Haha thanks Dan. The pic in my avi has actually been Photoshopped a bit :P