+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation New Here & Losing Hair Fast!!!

I am a 44 year old male who has always been hair obsessed. My dad lost his hair early in his life and I always hoped I would dodge the genetic bullet. I thinned a little bit in my mid 20's and started using Rogaine right away. As time went by my hair was long and looking good. I still got my doctor to prescribe Proscar and I have been taking that for at least 13 years. I tried Avodart but had to stop when I switched insurance companies, as they would not cover it at my age.

To the rest of the world minus some minor thinning I saw over the last several years, no one else noticed anything, other than the fact that I had a great head of hair.

In May of this year I finally cut my hair for the first time in 12 years and it was looking good. Thinner then when I was in my 20's or 30's but still looking good. Over the course of the next 30 days, I saw my hair was falling out fast and all over (not in patches). It has continued this way and it just didn't seem "right". I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease in April (symptoms unrelated to my hair) and have been tested for a number of different types. So far my blood work, as well the one biopsy I had have not pinpointed what autoimmune disease I have. I also suffer from Panic Disorder and my stress levels are through the roof every day for a number of reasons. Over the last few months I added Fo-Ti, Green Tea Extract, Biotin & Pumpkin Seed Extrect to my regimen.

I finally decided to see a dermatologist and get his opinion regarding my hair. I wanted to know if it was MPB and it was just finally catching up to me and fast, or if he thought it was something else. I saw the dermatologist yesterday, gave him my history and upon his examination, he said the only slight signs of MPB he saw was in the crown area, but that the "diffuse" hair loss everywhere else was not MPB. His suggestion was to keep using the Rogaine and the Proscar and to see a rheumatologist. He felt based on my history and the examination, that what is happening is probably related to the autoimmune issue.

I am somewhere between happy and suicidal. I have been devestated at how fast my hair has been falling out, but I was feeling a bit better yesterday, in hearing it is not MPB. I just pray that I can get a specific diagnosis and that the hair loss can be reversed.

If anyone has a similar story or can provide any thoughts, it would be appreciated!!!