+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    That Merck will eventually consider it unprofitable and stop selling it. Generic versions will remain, unless governments ban them. That we will eventually have better, safer options and Propecia will be regarded a desperate choice by people who didn't fully realise the risks involved and didn't have any other options.
    I think you are right. We will eventually have better treatments available. I doubt that they will be free of side effects either though. What wont help bring about better treatment though,in my opinion, is the fear of frivolous lawsuits. As of now the best treatment we have available is finasteride. I hope nuisance lawsuits don't hinder Merk's willingness to make this drug available or force them to raise their prices. I would also hate for doctors to stop proscribing it to me because they fear malpractice lawsuits.

People should be aware of side effects, but the risks should be weighed and taken in perspective. And according to most of the clinical research i've seen the risks aren't that significantly greater than taking a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post

Can you tell me about this questionable evidence I've found on the internet? What is it you'd like to question in particular? Perhaps you can form a coherent argument, instead of speculating.
    Wait dude. What evidence? I only saw link to this.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/prop...ness-drug-dive

A bunch of anecdotes from guys trying to sue a company doesn't measure up against double blind clinical trials.

I believe that the few vocal people on the internet who may or may not have real physical long lasting side effects from Propecia have unfairly tarnished a drug that has literally changed my life and and the lives a millions of men for the better. I also think it is unfair that we can't have one positive Propecia thread without it being jumped on by Chrisis or the likes. Chrisis you have plenty of anti-Propecia threads to post on, please post on those.

When I started Propecia I had absolutely no fear in taking it and I believe that is why I have done so very well on it. I have 4 close friends who began taking it within 5 years of me and this permanent impotence stuff was not on the internet yet and only one has had side effects and it was just watery seaman which he does no care about. He now have three healthy and happy children, by the way.

Propecia allowed me to move on with my life and now I am expecting my first child also, which I am very excited about. It gave me time to grow my life, meet my wife and live when I was young. I have lost hair over the years, but I am so happy I chose to take Propecia and will tell everyone who wants to know that it is a miracle drug.

I believe that these side effects are becoming much more prevalent because of a mass hysteria effect. I've been reading hair loss forums since about 2000 and I only began to see these crazy stories and hysterical talk relatively recently and most forum guys back then were taking it. It's really too bad for the younger guys who could save their hair and move on with their lives.

Please do not destroy this thread with a debate since I think it is crucial that we have a least one positive thread on the internet about Propecia!

By the way, The Examiner is not even a legitimate media outlet. Almost anyone can blog for it. It's laughable!

Zao do you have any pics to show your progress with Fin over the years out of interest? Tks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    Zao do you have any pics to show your progress with Fin over the years out of interest? Tks.
    I never documented my progress over the years and to be honest, I kind of just popped that first pill and lived my life. Here's my story.
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=435

My $0.02

Vast majority will take the drug and experience no serious side effects.
    Small percentage will.
    Even smaller percentage may experience persistent side effects.
    Propecia has greatly benifited many peoples lives.
    It has also destroyed some lives in the process; from a small number of doses, to being on it for years, to being on it for years and getting off it, then suffering sides.
    Is it worth the risk? That is the question you have to ask yourself. The drug is used for cosmetic purposes, do not forget that.

My personal Experiance
    Went to two doctors, one dermatologist who specializes in hair loss, one GP. Got prescription, was not informed and/or falsely informed about potential harm of the drug. No blood tests were ordered. I requested full panel blood and hormone tests, and was denied. GP actually recommended me not to take it based on the 'perceived risk' I saw with it, even though he thought it was completely safe. This was very reasonable advice.

Did more research, realized that nobody knows exactly what the **** this stuff does to your body. If you get persistent sides, you are in for an extended period of time filled with physical and emotional problems. Doctors don't know how to fix you. The only way I could bring myself to take this drug is if I got extremely comprehensive blood, hormone tests and sperm analysis. It is the only way to tell exactly how you are responding to it. If you are one of the very few people who gets sides, at least you would have baselines, and it would give these expert endocrinologists an idea of how to possibly treat you.

Bottom line: It really is not optimal to reduce DHT by such large percentages, especially at a young age. Of course, most people will react fine to it, but we are not all the same. A small amount of DHT reduction is actually healthy (especially as you get older) for prostate health and longevity. If propecia was my only option, I would probably take it, thankfully it isn't, and I don't have to.

Also, Merck are bozo's.... http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...3_DNL_artNew_1

I thought it would be good to start a thread on this topic.

From my own personal experience, I have taken this drug for around 5-6 years now with great success and no side effects.
    Me too Chris...wish I would have started taking it 10 years ago....probably wouldn't have needed the transplant.

I'm in my 50's, have no side-effects on me whatsoever, everything works fine and my hair is coming in great where I didn't have follicles transplanted and where they were transplanted.

Quote Originally Posted by frankJ View Post
    Wait dude. What evidence? I only saw link to this.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/prop...ness-drug-dive

A bunch of anecdotes from guys trying to sue a company doesn't measure up against double blind clinical trials.
    You conveniently glossed over this (although rising litigation and falling profit is factual, regardless of the source):

"On September 30, 2004, Merck voluntarily withdrew rofecoxib from the market because of concerns about increased risk of heart attack and stroke associated with long-term, high-dosage use. Merck withdrew the drug after disclosures that it withheld information about rofecoxib's risks from doctors and patients for over five years, resulting in between 88,000 and 140,000 cases of serious heart disease.[2] Rofecoxib was one of the most widely used drugs ever to be withdrawn from the market. In the year before withdrawal, Merck had sales revenue of US$2.5 billion from Vioxx.[3] By the time it was discontinued in 2004, it had already caused an estimated 60,000 deaths worldwide."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rofecoxib

Your "double blind trials" count for nothing when one of the companies conducing trials for their own drugs has a reputation for lying to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post

By the way, The Examiner is not even a legitimate media outlet. Almost anyone can blog for it. It's laughable!
    The point of linking to that article was to highlight how Propecia sales are falling and lawsuits against Merck are increasing. Unless you believe this is not the case and can provide information to support, then the source is totally irrelevant.

There are plenty of pro-Propecia threads, I linked to one (that I had no participation in) from just October. And let me be clear: any thread I have ever started about Propecia side effects has resulted in me being jumped on by a hoard of Propecia supporters. Isn't it worse to attack someone who is legitimately suffering, than for that person to try to correct inaccurate statements when he sees them, i.e. here? I don't get why you guys become the victims in this scenario. Totally backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Bottom line: It really is not optimal to reduce DHT by such large percentages, especially at a young age. Of course, most people will react fine to it, but we are not all the same.
    Agreed. Particularly on your point about young men, how many young men participated in these trials? I'm convinced the vast majority will be 30s, 40s or older.

This means the safety of this drug for young men on the basis of these trials is not known. No one seems to identify this as a huge flaw.