+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up Assuming financial ability

Hey I have a couple questions.

I'm 17 years old, and I was born with a major widows peak (I have pictures as a child), it sucks.

I was basically born with a NW 1.5-2

Now I'm fairly certain I have receded/thinned some at the temples, I recently started growing facial hair so my DHT levels are likely upping as I enter the last stages of puberty.

I'm likely a NW2 now.

Now assuming adequate financial resources, and of course patience and commitment, I feel this could could be a possibility. But I obviously want others input. This is all theoretical and assumes I have the money necessary to spend upwards of $14000-90000.

First I would start a regimen of RU to maintain hair, or greatly reduce hairloss.

Then at the age of 18, I was originally thinking of going to a highly reputable FUE surgeon, say Rahal, Ferinduni, H&W etc. However then I realized Dr Cole was experimenting with acell, and apparently achieving some degree of success with some 20-60% regrowth in some patients. Now Dr Cole is in the same leagues as the above mentioned doctors. So I would be able to have an FUE and achieve a "normal" hairline with decent density, any regrowth would just be a nice, but unexpected bonus. Now of course I have no real idea, but studying other transplants, to get the density and coverage that I want to redesign my hairline I'd guess about 2000 grafts. Of course this number is likely wrong, and I would need to consult a doctor (which I will at 18). But we can use it as a rough estimation.

Moving on, as time progresses my hair behind my new hairline may or may not recede. Lets say it will, since it likely will.

Lets say I continue to thin and recede. So I book an appointment with Dr Gho, as I still have lets say 5000-6000 grafts remaining. THen a year later, I go to Dr gho and he fills in the receding + thinning areas, perhaps even filling in areas where future recession is likely.

This continues yearly until my balding stops/becomes completely filled in OR a company such as Aderans, Histogen etc comes up with something better.

Therefore, assuming neccessary commitment, patience and financial resources, could I not completely avoid baldness and maintain a youthful hairline (that I never had ) even if I started at a NW7.

Also another question, the hair on my sides and back is a dark blonde, whereas the hair on the top of my head is a light blonde. Now when I was younger I was light blond all over my head, so its is the sides of my head that darkened and not the opposite of dark hair getting lighter on top. Does this potentially mean my hair on top is "weaker" and prone to baldness?

Thanks

and also that feel when at a party the hottest girl runs her hand through your hair cuz its "so soft". she dont know that their likely wont be hair there soon if action is not taken.

C'mon guys I just wanna discuss the plausibility of this method

You seem to have your head screwed on correctly, but it's still very debatable whether at 18 you would be ready to undergo a hair transplant.

I don't think the hair shade difference indicates a weakness of the lighter hairs. There can be some colour variation (not to mention a difference in density and hair shaft caliber) between the regions of the scalp. Just be aware that this might be noticeable in the transplanted hairs.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

bump !

10char

I strongly suggest you see a medical doctor who specializes in this field. Its my opinion you are too young to consider a hair transplant.

Consult with the doctor first. Bring pictures of your father and both your grandfathers. Try to figure out what hairline you inherited and what your eventual fate will be . Then you and your doctor can construct a plan to combat any hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    I strongly suggest you see a medical doctor who specializes in this field. Its my opinion you are too young to consider a hair transplant.

Consult with the doctor first. Bring pictures of your father and both your grandfathers. Try to figure out what hairline you inherited and what your eventual fate will be . Then you and your doctor can construct a plan to combat any hair loss.
    No doubt I am going to see multiple doctors when I turn 18! But why do you think I am to young for hair transplants/stem cell regeneration. Isn't donor hair the biggest concern? And with HST these problems should become moot, even if I were to bald to a NW7.

Thanks for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by LMS View Post
    No doubt I am going to see multiple doctors when I turn 18! But why do you think I am to young for hair transplants/stem cell regeneration. Isn't donor hair the biggest concern? And with HST these problems should become moot, even if I were to bald to a NW7.

Thanks for your input!

b/c a good HT surgeon would know that at 18 you clearly aren't done receding/thinning/balding w/e you wanna call it and would most likely deem it wise to wait until your full pattern of baldness occurs or at least until you mature a bit. Seems obvious to me... put hair in one place according to where hair currently is then have the current hair change/fall out = not good design/look/outcome

Quote Originally Posted by typicallyconcerned View Post
    b/c a good HT surgeon would know that at 18 you clearly aren't done receding/thinning/balding w/e you wanna call it and would most likely deem it wise to wait until your full pattern of baldness occurs or at least until you mature a bit. Seems obvious to me... put hair in one place according to where hair currently is then have the current hair change/fall out = not good design/look/outcome
    Also if you're assuming fin/RU or w/e your taking keeps 100% of current hairs intact that is a major assumption that most surgeons (I would assume) don't operate on

You have male pattern baldness. We all have it.

In your case, it would advise you to go immediately to your doctor and discuss the side effects of medications the others have mentioned here.

If you get the green light, go on propecia and see if this slows down the hair loss.