+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default List of treatments being trialled Part 2!(December 2012 edition)

Happy holidays/Merry Christmas everyone! back in July about 6 months ago, I created a thread called List of treatments and which ones you think will work. I decided to make another one 6 months later, using this as a sort of time capsule all in one to see how we are progressing, what new products may have shown up and what has failed.
    I'll show the original post right after this one.

Anyway, here's where we are currently, the expected release of the product, my personal and other's general viewpoint on the product and the current/next step in the product's trial.

Current FDA Approved Products:

1. Minoxidil- Approved in the late 1980's, topical solution for hairloss.
    What to expect from it- it should at least slow your loss a bit, a lucky few may gain a bit as well, do not expect major growth or maintanence however. very few if any sides however.

2. Finasteride/Propecia/Proscar- Proscar was approved in 1992, propecia(specifically for hairloss) was approved in 1997. A pill to be taken daily.
    What to expect from it- Currently the best product that has been approved, at the least it should maintain most of your hair, on average, people keep roughly the same hair for years, a small percentage(around 30% i believe) will see moderate regrowth. A lucky few may even go up a norwood(dont expect this though).
    -Expect some shedding, also the potential for side effects is there, such as sexual sides, so get to know the product thoroughly before taking it.

Current products being tested as of December 13th, 2012:

1.Histogen-Just ended/ending Phase II, Injection based product that promotes growth, latest information/update from October here: http://www.histogen.com/aboutus/news_events.htm
    Expected release: On track for late 2015 asia, 2016-2017 North America
    My Pov: Like my original post, this still excites me the most, especially with the latest update, it seems like a fantastic solution for moderate hairloss sufferers, even with growth on temples and reversing vellus hairs. Pictures were a slight dissapointment however.
    Next step: Phase IIb, I believe they are going to inject a wider area and attempt to inject more frequently now to see if the results are even better.

2.Bitmatoprost(Allergan): Phase II is done, with new results expected within the next couple months, pretty much an alternative to minoxidil, which could potentially be better. Clinical trial here:http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...toprost&rank=3
    Expected release: 2015 NA, unknown anywhere else
    My Pov: I'm still interested in this product, but it does pose a problem of pigmentation apparently, still, we'll see how well this product did in trials. I'd expect a small amount of growth, not much better than Min, but could very well be the first product approved in 15 years.
    Next step: Phase III, should begin within a few months.
    Side Note- This product IS available to the public for eye-lash extension, however, this is at a much lower dosage than what is being tested/getting results in the trials for hair so dont assume you'll get the same results using that stuff.

3.Replicel- No real update on this product, Phase IIa is over, Phase IIb has begun from what I understand, back to the drawing board to get more results. Don't give up on the product, just had dissapointing early results and will now modify the process in hopes to get better results.
    Expected release- probably 2017-2018 at current pace.
    my POV: Dissapointing early results, I'd await IIb results(which wont be released for around a year) before making final judgment.
    Next Step: Phase IIb.

4. Neogenic by L’Oréal- Garbage as far as I can see, don't waste your money.
    Expected release: already released.

5. Aderans- I described this in the wrong way last time, it's also an injection based solution that's been trialled for years now. They call it "Follicle neogenesis" Currently heading to Phase III from what I understand.
    Video of latest results(nov 2012) here: http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_JHbtXJ0a8
    Expected release: Potentially 2015, but struggling to get big results.
    My Pov: Latest results were very dissapointing, it seems to maintain to some degree, but the gains were not noticeable, HOWEVER that doesnt mean it doesnt work, it just may be better used as a complimentary product with say histogen, wouldnt get my hopes too high up though.
    Next step: From what I understand, Phase III.

6. OC000459- Inhibits PGD2, a theory thats popped up alot recently which apparently has alot to do with hairloss. Could only be a piece of the puzzle though. Currently being trialled for Asthma: http://www.news-medical.net/news/200...or-asthma.aspx
    Expected release- In Phase IIb for asthma, for hairloss could be quickly put to Phase II so 2015-2016 is possible.
    my POV: The theory sounds great, and more products need to be tested.

Side Note: A: Many companies are also testing PGD2 inhibitors, but this is usually in pill form, a solution may come through topical form only for baldness, pill form may do nothing for it.
    B: The drug Cetirizine is currently being used by people on the forum and other forums, it's apparently safe to take and inhibits PGD2, but take it at your own risk, as PGD2 itself hasnt been studied thoroughly. If you do still want to take the risk, the Cetirizine(zyrtec) pills are around 15 bucks for 1-2 months supply.

Other notable products:
    i. Merck studied PGD2 inhibitor(this is only for asthma currently)- phase IIb
    ii. CB-03-01- potential alternative to Fin, about to/just started clinical trials.
    iii. Equol- Potential alternative to fin, not being trialled
    iv. RU- Potential alternative to fin, not being trialled
    v. TB4- already released, havent seen amazing results but check it out for yourself.

As last time, please mention if I was wrong with any release date or other information and such, also if I missed any products. Part 3 will be next summer!

Great work man. I laughed at the 'garbage as far as I can see' for Neogenic lol.

Before I forget, here was the original post from July 1st, 2012.
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8971

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
    .Just kind of wanted to gather all these future treatments in one thread. There seems to be around 5-10 quality products being researched right now but not all of them seem to be working. Which do you think will work and when do you think it will launch?

Histogen- Currently in Phase II, almost 1 year results coming in December I believe. 12 week results here: http://www.histogen.com/downloads/si..._HSC_Final.pdf
    Expected release- 2015-2017
    my POV: This one excites me the most, haven't seen side affects, seems like a great solution for moderate(or more) balding men, at the very least could put you up one Norwood. Doesn't sound super expensive either from what i've heard(hopefully).

Bitmopost(allergan)- Expected to clear phase II quickly, seems very similar to minoxidil maybe slightly more effect. Already cleared for eyebrow growth I believe.
    Expected Release- 2013
    my POV: Good alternative to Minoxidil, might be slightly more effective but don't think this will cure anything at all.

Replicel- in Phase II I believe, very dissapointing results recently, best responder had something like 15% increase in density, although this is only after 6 months.http://www.replicel.com/our-science/...science-works/
    Expected release- probably 2018-2020 if at all
    my POV: not a great solution so far, very mediocre early results, tells me this one will take along time if it's going to work at all.

Neogenic by L’Oréal- not in any phase, marketed as a cosmetic product. expected to "increase hair density"
    http://www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.co...e-hair-density
    Expected release- launching Sept. 2012.
    my POV: most likely a money grabber, could be worth a try but with no science/trials behind it it's hard to trust this kind of product.

OC000459- apparently lowers(or inhibits?) PGD2 levels. Theory that balding/bald men have much higher PGD2 levels than non-balding men. really don't know much on this one. Some kind of chemical.
    Expect release- well it's being made right now i believe?
    my POV: the theory sounds great, it's very possible that it could work, there just needs to be more tests with it!

Aderans- Currently in Phase II. cell-based hair reproduction. Sounds more like an upgrade to hair transplants out there(leaves no scar) takes hair from donor area and multiplies it.
    Expected release- 2014-2015
    my POV: could be a much better solution than current HT procedures, I don't believe it leaves a noticable scar so it would be even in that sense alone better than current HT's.

Bit more info on CB - it's been through Phase I and a (very successful) proof-of-concept study for hair loss and has completed a Phase II for acne.

It has been licensed to a major US multinational pharmaceutical company (still no word on who, wouldnt surprise me if its Allergan) and another company has been contracted to perform clinical trials. An IND has been filed in the US but unfortunately development is lagging behind the acne formulation.

This honestly has the best potential to replace fin IMO. But I am expecting more delays for the hair loss formulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pate View Post
    Bit more info on CB - it's been through Phase I and a (very successful) proof-of-concept study for hair loss and has completed a Phase II for acne.

It has been licensed to a major US multinational pharmaceutical company (still no word on who, wouldnt surprise me if its Allergan) and another company has been contracted to perform clinical trials. An IND has been filed in the US but unfortunately development is lagging behind the acne formulation.

This honestly has the best potential to replace fin IMO. But I am expecting more delays for the hair loss formulation.
    I'm hoping it works out, it just seems a little far away as I'm not sure it's even started Phase II yet(which can take up to two years, then add another year and a half or so for phase III)

Any kind of fin alternative would be fantastic, something that directly attacks the problem rather than the system as a whole like Fin does.

I dont mind fin, I'm on it and am thankful that its around, but I dont want to be on the stuff for the next 5+ years.

Thanks for the write up rdawg!

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    I'm hoping it works out, it just seems a little far away as I'm not sure it's even started Phase II yet(which can take up to two years, then add another year and a half or so for phase III)

Any kind of fin alternative would be fantastic, something that directly attacks the problem rather than the system as a whole like Fin does.

I dont mind fin, I'm on it and am thankful that its around, but I dont want to be on the stuff for the next 5+ years.
    It hasn't started Phase II for hairloss yet, no.

They need to do more pre-clinical studies before Phase II. I can just see the timeline slipping further, unfortunately. But hopefully the acne formulation will be out on time, we may be able to use it off-label and it'll also help the hairloss formulation get approved if the acne formulation is already on the market - like Proscar and Propecia (although that took 5 years!).

The other hope is that guys like Kane and mpbtreatments can find a suitable vehicle and we can start using it grey-market.

I was reading up on the POC study, apparently they didn't even use a topical lotion. They used iontophoresis to apply it, using a machine that generates an electric field. So that's obviously not really viable for a pharmaceutical product. We don't all have an iontophoresis machine sitting around at home.

They seem to have figured out a topical formulation for the acne study though, so there's still hope!

Really depressing to see how far CB-03-01 is away on the legit market.

This time next year we'll be in exactly the same position in regards to new treatments emerging, unfortunately. Unless of course we get a positive surprise from any 'unknown unknowns' comparable to the new information about prostaglandins we had this year. I still think our best hope before 2017 is if it is discovered than an existing medication can be used off-label, like say cetirizine - but actually working.

Success with CB off label hasn't been great for some reason.
    If I get good results I will let y'all know, I am expecting it to be different this time around

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    Really depressing to see how far CB-03-01 is away on the legit market.

This time next year we'll be in exactly the same position in regards to new treatments emerging, unfortunately. Unless of course we get a positive surprise from any 'unknown unknowns' comparable to the new information about prostaglandins we had this year. I still think our best hope before 2017 is if it is discovered than an existing medication can be used off-label, like say cetirizine - but actually working.
    Best hope before 2017 is histogen, with the positive results it has had, I cant see it going offrails so its fair to say it's on track to meet the 2015 release in asia and then the inevitable release a year or two later in North America.

You could argue how good the results are and they definitely could be better, but something with that product works, and the company seems to have the support to get it done within the next 3 or so years.

other than that Bitmatoprost is worth a try for sure.

But I definitely agree that something being used off label or a combination of things off-label could definitely be useful for us, so as a side note we should be doing our research and looking out for products like we did with cetrizine. The FDA process is beyond slow(for good reason) but at least we know the theories being studied, so we can use that info to find products for ourselves.(used at our own risk of course)