+ Reply to Thread

Default Balding was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Before I found out I was losing my hair I couldn’t have been more unmotivated. I lived each day with no definite purpose, no plans, and no worries. I had been out of college for 2 years and was living at home with my parents. The weekdays consisted mostly of smoking pot with friends and the weekends were a drunken haze. I was skinny, weighing in at 122lbs, and probably looked very unhealthy. Then came the day that changed it all. I went in for a haircut and found out from my barber that my hair had lost volume. The progression was rapid. Within a few months, my hairline became noticeable weaker and my scalp began to show. One day, in a moment of frustration and desperation, I took out a shaver and buzzed it all off. As I stood there staring at my odd reflection in the mirror, it hit me. I needed to change. People talk about that moment in their life where everything just starts falling into place, well, for me it was the day my hair started falling out. I have since quit smoking pot, bulked up considerably, found a job, and am currently getting ready to move out of my parent’s house. I'm sharing my story for no other purpose than to show that everything that happens in life is a matter of perspective. If I hadn’t started balding I might still be sitting on my couch, stoned, watching Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmon View Post
    Before I found out I was losing my hair I couldn’t have been more unmotivated. I lived each day with no definite purpose, no plans, and no worries. I had been out of college for 2 years and was living at home with my parents. The weekdays consisted mostly of smoking pot with friends and the weekends were a drunken haze. I was skinny, weighing in at 122lbs, and probably looked very unhealthy. Then came the day that changed it all. I went in for a haircut and found out from my barber that my hair had lost volume. The progression was rapid. Within a few months, my hairline became noticeable weaker and my scalp began to show. One day, in a moment of frustration and desperation, I took out a shaver and buzzed it all off. As I stood there staring at my odd reflection in the mirror, it hit me. I needed to change. People talk about that moment in their life where everything just starts falling into place, well, for me it was the day my hair started falling out. I have since quit smoking pot, bulked up considerably, found a job, and am currently getting ready to move out of my parent’s house. I'm sharing my story for no other purpose than to show that everything that happens in life is a matter of perspective. If I hadn’t started balding I might still be sitting on my couch, stoned, watching Sponge Bob Square Pants.
    Good for you man. We need more positive examples of people taking control of their bald transformation and making it work for them in a way that empowers them and makes them stronger...

Awesome post. I think hair loss can definitely be a motivation, especially when we start to consider the future and who we can be. You have re-affirmed how I already plan to better myself. However, I don't plan to give up those vices.

If it were me...

I'd rather be sat on that sofa smoking pot watching sponge bob square pants with a full head of hair than be bald, depressed but living a 'proper' life working, regarding the law.

I'd do a lot to get my hair back.

We all have defining moments in life, good for you that you used that moment as a driving force to become a better person. Too many often take the opposite approach and spiral downwards when it doesn't have to be that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    If it were me...

I'd rather be sat on that sofa smoking pot watching sponge bob square pants with a full head of hair than be bald, depressed but living a 'proper' life working, regarding the law.

I'd do a lot to get my hair back.
    Still sounds like with the full head of hair, you'd be equally as depressed...