+ Reply to Thread

Default Z06guy's finasteride thread.

Well after using hairomega DHT and nizoral for the past year I haven't seen much of a result. I'm still NW2 but the hairs I do have are still miniaturizing it seems... specially on the sides of my temple.

I ordered 360 tablets of finasteride from 4rx for $133. They already shipped it and it should be here hopefully sometime next week with the free express mail option. I'm gonna start with 0.5mg every other day for two weeks. Then switch to 0.5mg everyday. With the research I've done 0.5 seems to be more than enough. If I don't see any progress I'll probably increase the dosage to 1mg everyday. I hope 0.5mg will be more than enough though.

I'll continue using the nizoral shampoo every 4-5 days as well as using avalon organics b complex thickening shampoo every day or so. It's a pretty good shampoo for the money and it's ph balanced so it's a plus. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o06_s00_i00

I'll also continue the hairomega 3 in 1. It has a lot of good vitamins for hair so it can't hurt. Original dosage is three per day but if I take one per night it will last me 90 days. Good enough for me.

One weird thing I've noticed is that ever since my last bottle of hairomega ran out last week and I stopped taking it for a week or so, I've been mildly breaking out across my face. It must be hormone related... I heard finasteride sometimes causes acne for some and for others it completely wipes it out. I guess we'll see what happens.

The side effects of this drug don't scare me as much as it used to so nothing negative please. If I don't take finasteride now, I'm sure to continue balding and I'll always be wondering why I didn't at least try it.

I'm currently NW2 and slowly bure surely thinning on the sides by the temple and the crown area. This will be my official thread so that I can keep an entry record for how it works out for me. If this drug can at least strengthen all the thin hairs around my temples I'll be golden.

Speaking of drugs, I bought this without a prescription. This might sound like a silly question but let's just say I take a drug test at work, could I be fired over taking this? Or is that kind of drug test for illegal drugs?

Work related drug tests will only screen for illegal substances. If you test positive for an illegal substance as a result of the fin...I may have to look into purchasing some myself. I imagine there are Federal privacy laws (HIPAA) in place that prevent employers from screening for legal prescription drugs. Employers can't demand their employees inform them of personal medical information. If you are fired for such a reason you should contact an attorney and look forward to a large payout.

Quote Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
    Work related drug tests will only screen for illegal substances. If you test positive for an illegal substance as a result of the fin...I may have to look into purchasing some myself. I imagine there are Federal privacy laws (HIPAA) in place that prevent employers from screening for legal prescription drugs. Employers can't demand their employees inform them of personal medical information. If you are fired for such a reason you should contact an attorney and look forward to a large payout.
    Thank you very much for this invaluable info widowmaker.

I received my 360 tablets of 1mg finasteride from 4rx. It's labeled as finasteride 1mg/pelosta-1.

I bought a pill cutter so I may start with 0.5 mg every other day for about a week or two and then go with 0.5mg every day. Maybe in a few years I'll have to increase it to 1mg a day when the scalp starts becoming more sensitive to DHT due to age...

Anyway here are some starting pictures. With light from the bathroom shining almost directly on the scalp. I push the front of my hair up with a comb in the second picture. In normal lighting it doesn't look that bad. Looks like I was heading to NW3 though...

I'm very glad I stumbled upon this forum and registered. The information here and from the members may possibly just saved my hair. The least I can do is try to to update with pictures once a month and with the similar length hair if I can.

So my regimen is as follows.

Avalon Organics Biotin B shampoo for regular usage.
    Nizoral shampoo 1% (once or twice a week)
    Hairomega 3 in 1 multivitamin (once per night from now on)
    And of course finasteride.

I tried minoxidil earlier this year but had many bad side effects, possibly allergic reaction. So I stopped using it after a month. I think I lost some hair from minoxidil but I'm hoping finasteride will bring it back!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01203-20121218-1552.jpg

Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	18110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01196-20121218-1550.jpg

Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	18111  

About a day into 0.5mg Finasteride I've noticed lower libido and much softer erections. I find it strange that this is happening on the first day? My sex drive is always super high so this is a first for me.

I know a few have experienced this same issue but many report that normal libido returns within about a week or so.

Otherwise all else is just fine! This drug is my last best hope for strengthening and keeping my hair. The only way I'll quit is if I'm always getting soft erections/lower libido for the next few months... I'm sure this 'phase' will pass though. We'll see what happens!

Any input would be appreciated.

I have a feeling this thread is in the wrong section so if mod can move it that would be great.

I think you are right to ride it out for at least a few months to see if the sides are temporary. I just started 3 weeks ago myself. Only sides for me seem to be lower ejaculate volume (sometimes). I also notice a slight increase in anxiety (always had some issues with anxiety), but that is likely psychological as I hate taking meds and am thinking about it. I started w .25mg and am going to stay there for a couple months - maybe go to .50mg after that.

Thanks ktown. The side effects don't scare me as much as the thought of becoming NW3 sometime within the next few years....

As shallow as it sounds, my hair is part of who I am so I'm willing to take considerable risks in keeping it. If I fall into that low percentage category that finasteride is not ideal for, I will stop taking it. However I am hoping to god that will not be the case.

Last night I experienced a disgusting metallic kind of taste in my mouth. Strange. After doing a search it seems like this happens sometimes with fin.