+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Temptation to shave... don't do it!!

Every few months or so when I look at my hair the temptation is to cut it all down to stubble. The thing of it is you will never see the progress the Propecia or the Minoxidil are really having when you do and that is the catch .22 here guys.
    My challenge to myself is to adopt the philosophy of the Nazarite or even the Sikh who never cuts his hair under any circumstances come what may so that you can see what is working and what is not working and move forward in the slow healing process.

So any time people are asking me or I feel the need to shave my hair out of shame the answer is no and not to give into the impulses of shame and what other people think. Other people do not matter. Other people out there are not your wife or your kids or your family and even then you have to do what is best for you.

I really like your determination and your self-confidence! There is a lot of self-pitty going around in here which may affect others too, and this is not good. Your attitude is a positive example

Alex there are all sorts of people on here with differing feelings and views on these forums. I mean it can be a big shock for anyone losing hair. I guess we're coping and either fighting, accepting or just dealing in the way we know best.

The initial shock is the worst, but its taking ownership which is key and just trying to get on with life...one step at a time.

I figured the only way to gauge the progress is to literally adopt the philisophy of a Nazarite or a contemporary Rastafarian and never cut my hair period.

Like Samson who derived his strength from his long hair until it was cut. Ironically I started going bald after leaving a barber's hair where he first noticed it. In that way cutting and shearing off my hair on a semi weekly practice along with MPB proved to be my undoing over a defined process of time.
    How can you know the result of a topical or a pill if you keep shaving down the results all the while.. yes it might embarass you to see what you see but that is perhaps the first stage in a long battle in might be months or a year or years before you see the result you want to see. And that is basically that.. not shaving for me I see a change and that has bolstered me to keep to that day by day and week by week and to chart my progress taking pictures and looking under different lighting and angles to make a measured determination.

You're not going to accurately gauge progress by not cutting your hair; this way of thinking about things is false. The way to accurately gauge your progress would be to cut your hair to the same length every time you take progress photos, every couple of months.

Also, people with mpb who grow their hair out too long look ridiculous. Good attitude, though. But the notion you hold is incorrect.

Cheers.

yep, i grow mine until my widows peak dangles like a branch. i did shave my head to make it easier to apply minoxidl and that. it does make it so much easier but then i realised the look didnt suit me at all. id say dont shave it work around it.

How can you know the result of a topical or a pill if you keep shaving down the results all the while.. yes it might embarass you to see what you see but that is perhaps the first stage in a long battle in might be months or a year or years before you see the result you want to see. And that is basically that.. not shaving for me I see a change and that has bolstered me to keep to that day by day and week by week and to chart my progress taking pictures and looking under different lighting and angles to make a measured determination.
    Exactly Chris...I try to keep my hair about the same length to monitor progress too.

Hope things are working out for you, have a good holiday season.

-Dale-

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    You're not going to accurately gauge progress by not cutting your hair; this way of thinking about things is false. The way to accurately gauge your progress would be to cut your hair to the same length every time you take progress photos, every couple of months.

Also, people with mpb who grow their hair out too long look ridiculous. Good attitude, though. But the notion you hold is incorrect.

Cheers.
    +10000000. Why anyone past NW4 would grow their hair out is beyond me. There's a name for that type of haircut - skullet (See Appendix A, Figure 1.)

Appendix A. Figure 1.

I just started fin and nizoral a few weeks ago and will be adding minoxidil soon. I am tempted to buzz it, just to put me out of misery from agonizing in the mirror everyday. Plus, I figure if it looks ok - so what if it all falls out? If it looks terrible, well time to start saving for a HT. I haven't summoned the stones to do just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post

Cheers.
    uh no.. by shaving down all the time you can't see the disparity of hair length and density as accurately as you certainly can't if you shave you entire hair down all the while. You can't see if the topical or the niz or the propecia is working as clearly as you might. And contrary to your opinion it is not ridiculous... not to me anyway it is a stated preference of mine to face down the spectre of baldness once and for all and guess what I realized letting my hair grow I got the same reaction as when it was cut. No one gives a s**t it was all psychological and in my head and within me, my own self consciousness in command of me the entire time due to fear and what other people veritable strangers might think. And I let that fear rule me and contain me.. so this gamble I took was not just as an outward measure but an inward measure of my resolve and my commitment to loving myself every bit of myself as imperfect as I might be as an affirmation and every day I don't shave shows that is one more day I do not let fear or ridicule drive my action back into hiding and cowering in a reflexive defensive action of immediately rushing to the clippers and buzzing it down.