+ Reply to Thread

Default Finpecia to Proscar?

I've been on finpecia 1mg (purchased from inhousepharmacy) for a few months now, no problems, but unfortunately no results yet either. I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is the normal shedding process, or if it's just a continuation of the shedding that I had prior to beginning the meds.

But anyway, I'm considering switching to normal Proscar, as I figure it's cheaper and I also think that I would like to have the knowledge that what I'm taking is 100% legitimate. The only drawback is that I would have to begin cutting my pills into fifths, as opposed to the convenience of having my pills in the standard 1mg dosage.

I would like to know what the general consensus is, should I continue with finpecia, or switch to proscar? And I would also like to find out if anyone knows or has experienced any issues with switching between finasteride products.

Thanks for reading.

-Geoff

I personally use Finpecia and i feel very confident with it. I used Proscar for years ( 12 ) prior to it. I switched to save the cutting process - not that it was a ball ache at all but it makes life easier.

You are only 3 months in. It takes several months to really see any benefit. Ride out the shed and stay strong.

Remember the benefit may well be hidden ie it may be helping prevent further loss ( just not regrowing any)

Be very patient and try not scrutinise.

There is a cutting video i made on Youtube "Cutting Proscar" if you need any help.

Best
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

To add - there would be no issues flipping over to Proscar - the drug is the same - Finasteride.

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    To add - there would be no issues flipping over to Proscar - the drug is the same - Finasteride.
    hey spex the reason i might quit finasteride is because proscar is cheaper and im a stickler for buying branded and not generic stuff. stamp gullible on my head. anyway the merck one is expenisve. if i switch to proscar simply because it is cost effective will it not have an adverse effect? you like the body getting used to a different drug, even though its same ingredient?

If i understand your question..

Merk Proscar really isn't expensive mate - its cheap !

Thats unfair - sorry i do not know your financial situation. Its cheaper than Propecia hey.

It shouldnt have any advert effect changing to it.

If cost is an issue - try speaking to your GP. If they are aware of the benefits surrounding finasteride they might well prescribe 5mg proscar to you - then it is CHEAP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    If i understand your question..

Merk Proscar really isn't expensive mate - its cheap !

Thats unfair - sorry i do not know your financial situation. Its cheaper than Propecia hey.

It shouldnt have any advert effect changing to it.

If cost is an issue - try speaking to your GP. If they are aware of the benefits surrounding finasteride they might well prescribe 5mg proscar to you - then it is CHEAP!!!!

sorry what i meant to say is that im on the merck branded propecia which is costing me a fair bit. im not sure if generic is just as effective like finpecia but like i said im just a branded guy! yeah so switching alotgether to proscar is what im thinking about as its costing me too much

That would be a non issue.

Branded Proscar is essentially 5mg of 1 mg Propecia ( Merk)

Damm site cheaper

Really appreciate the help and advice, Spex.

If you would elaborate on one thing though. You used proscar for twelve years? You said you had no issues, but could you foresee any problems from not taking an exact dosage every day? For example, if you're not precise in cutting the pill into fifths, it would be likely that one day you may take .8mg, and the next 1.2mg. Is that a solid reason to stick with the 1mg finpecia, or a non-issue?

I guess there are enough proscar users out there who have been doing it in this way long enough for me not to worry, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks again.

-Geoff

It's a non issue in my opinion as it doesnt matter if one day you get 0.8mg and the next 1.25mg

The actual dose required is literally 0.5mg daily to suppress DHT.