+ Reply to Thread

Default A broscience theory

Since I think we can mostly agree that the balding gene originated in northern Europe and that whole area, and it's mostly white men that are effected(not saying it doesn't happen to other races.)

I don't know how many of you live in those places, but from what I've seen and experienced, the sun doesn't shine too often in England, Scotland, etc. Now here's where I might lose some of you, but since we're no different than animals, we need a constant stream of Vitamin D to remain healthy and functional as men. There are studies linking Vitamin D to healthy androgen levels, as well as nutjobs thinking vitamin D will cure hair loss(admittedly I'm not well versed on this topic) but who's to say that the people in these areas didn't experience some gene mutation because of the need for vitamin d? It certainly makes sense that the sun hits the parts of the scalp that are affected by mpb. It also makes sense that many hunter gatherer tribes today don't experience much mpb and they are usually in more tropical climates, rich in vitamin d. African slaves come over, reproduce with whites in North America, obtain the gene, and wah lah.

Again, this is a theory off the top of my head, but I guess since we already know that the environment can alter genes, it has to hold SOME merit.

Dude then how would Africans and Asians become bald? Its genetic, I can't see the sun being the prime cause of baldness.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Dude then how would Africans and Asians become bald? Its genetic, I can't see the sun being the prime cause of baldness.
    Passive and recessive genetics at work both were and are the reason for balding among the various racial categories of human beings on the planet and the OP is right in that is it a dominant genetic trait among Caucasians. However no one African or Asian is one 100 percent of that race unless you happen to be completely purely African( as in the case of Africans so dark in skin tone they almost appear to be blue) or Asian and that genetic line can be traced with DNA to the inception of your family tree. Particularly in the case of African Americans we are all mixtures of Native American, Caucasian, among other racial characteristics mixed in our genes because our ancestry is chock full of interracial couplings that produced offspring of varying complexions and skin tones. So we also inherit the dominant and recessive genes of baldness carried down from paired XX genes from that ancestry. Baldness was thought to be a gene adaptive chromosone to the ancient Neanderthals that lived in the colder regions of higher elevation in the mountains regions and lowlands of Europe before their migration to the tropical climes below the equatorial line and the subsequent continental shift . Vitamin D rich sunlight provides nutrients for hair retention along with a consistency of diet( meat, fish, grains, vegetables) which ancient man subsisted on could in fact along with the environment play a keen role in how certain cultures have dense thick hair and baldness is a rarity among their peoples as opposed to cultures where baldness is not so much the exception as the norm.

Touche ChrisM

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    Passive and recessive genetics at work both were and are the reason for balding among the various racial categories of human beings on the planet and the OP is right in that is it a dominant genetic trait among Caucasians. However no one African or Asian is one 100 percent of that race unless you happen to be completely purely African( as in the case of Africans so dark in skin tone they almost appear to be blue) or Asian and that genetic line can be traced with DNA to the inception of your family tree. Particularly in the case of African Americans we are all mixtures of Native American, Caucasian, among other racial characteristics mixed in our genes because our ancestry is chock full of interracial couplings that produced offspring of varying complexions and skin tones. So we also inherit the dominant and recessive genes of baldness carried down from paired XX genes from that ancestry. Baldness was thought to be a gene adaptive chromosone to the ancient Neanderthals that lived in the colder regions of higher elevation in the mountains regions and lowlands of Europe before their migration to the tropical climes below the equatorial line and the subsequent continental shift . Vitamin D rich sunlight provides nutrients for hair retention along with a consistency of diet( meat, fish, grains, vegetables) which ancient man subsisted on could in fact along with the environment play a keen role in how certain cultures have dense thick hair and baldness is a rarity among their peoples as opposed to cultures where baldness is not so much the exception as the norm.
    thanks for the back up. my english has suffered from learning other languages and you expressed the idea much more proficiently.

Then how is it that in my country, Greece, a country with sunshine almost 10 months a year and the centre of Mediterranean diet (rich in meat, fish, grains, vegetables), there are bald men everywhere? Also in ancient Greece, when the environment and the food were much more clean and pure, a lot of men were bald. And not at their 70s, they didn't live that long back then, but at their 30s and 20s...

I thought MPB was a trait inherited from our nonhuman ancestors. If apes exhibit androgenic alopecia then wouldn't it seem likely it's a genetic trait from a common anscestor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldnes...human_baldness

Since I think we can mostly agree that the balding gene originated in northern Europe and that whole area, and it's mostly white men that are effected(not saying it doesn't happen to other races.)
    Seriously?! What scientific studies are there that purport to show that baldness in more common in people with Northern European ancestry or that its age of onset is earlier among people with such ancestry? Pattern baldness also affects several non-human primate species (which live primarily in tropical and subtropical regions).

Don't get me wrong, I suspect there may be some racial differences when it comes to the prevalence and average age of onset of pattern baldness, but I'm unaware of any attempt to validate this scientifically. I think you need to go back to the drawing board with your theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30 View Post
    Seriously?! What scientific studies are there that purport to show that baldness in more common in people with Northern European ancestry or that its age of onset is earlier among people with such ancestry? Pattern baldness also affects several non-human primate species (which live primarily in tropical and subtropical regions).

Don't get me wrong, I suspect there may be some racial differences when it comes to the prevalence and average age of onset of pattern baldness, but I'm unaware of any attempt to validate this scientifically. I think you need to go back to the drawing board with your theory.
    I think you need to start reading thread titles.
    If you can tell me where I started claiming that I was right, then you can hold that attitude and be critical. I dismissed my own theory's validity when I created the title. Seriously?! Suppawomach?!