+ Reply to Thread

Question Question regarding my treatment and status

Hi guys,
    Ill try to keep this shortish, but we all know how hard that can be.
    posted this on another forum but haven't gotten responses so I hope I have more luck here!

Summary of my story/treatment:
    Started noticing hair thinning @21-22
    Started treating with rogaine @22...heres the story:

Months 1-7 used rogaine 2X a day
    Month 7 added .5 mg of propecia/day and used rogaine 1X a day
    Month 10 dropped rogaine altogether due to price and thinking Propecia would keep those results.

I started noticing a few months after dropping rogaine that my hair was getting thinner at a rapid rate, i guess this is cuz propecia/rogaine treat the cause differently and thus I was losing all of my rogaine results.

Im now into my 7th month of propecia and have added rogaine back in once/day and my density is way down since starting rogaine again, I cut my hair a little shorter and was mortified at how thin it looked.

Shouldn't I at least see some results from Propecia at this point/make the rogaine shed not as bad? I get that the huge loss in density is probably due to rogaine shed, but do you think its just my MPB advacing and im not responding as well to treatment or is it just the rogaine shed and ill probably get some density back in the coming months?

Thanks for any replies

Hi Highlander,

I appreciate the repsonse. I quit Rogaine because I was naive and thought whatever I gained from the use of it over 7 months would be kept up with propecia and thought I could get away with spending less money. sure wish I researched it before quitting because I'd be 13 months into rogaine and 6.5 into propecia. Now I feel like im starting over.

So you think its possible that I shed a lot of the hairs rogaine was working on since I went off of it for 3 months, and now that I'm one month back in to rogaine, I'm going through an initial shed again? Thats sort of what I was thinking, man it sucks having the density be probably 50-67% what I was about 4 months ago.

I certainly plan on staying on propecia and rogaine indefinitely (until something better comes out, hopefully bimatoprost). I understand i've got a long road in front of me.

I was mildly freaking out because I cut my hair for the first time in two months from pretty long to short, that plus the shedding, made my hair look real thin in my eyes.

i will post some pics when I get a chance soon.

will do. Thank you for the replies and ill do my best to update if I see my density coming back

Ive heard about Nizoral, but really question how much a shampoo can really do. Regardless, I'll look into using it once a week or so.

thank you highlander, thats mind boggling that something you apply to your hair for maybe 1 minute has an effect.

I tried to find this out for myself for a bit but to no avail - is there an initial shed associated with Nizoral/Ket? Just finally got done with month 1 of rogaine and that shed sucked as i've said - dont want to introduce another. Thanks

despite my desperation in the first few posts, I still have pretty good coverage of hair and can style in a way that makes it look like im not going bald. I'll get nizoral and officially be on "the big 3", can only hope for an improvement, as until now ive only felt like im slowly getting worse while on treatments.

Alrighty, thats a good idea - think im going to wait a few months and then add regenepure. I ordered some last night, but will wait for my hair to stabilize. Next investment - a blow dryer

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Maybe wait a bit until your hair is stabilised. That way when you add Niz you will have a good idea of how it's working. Anyway, keto works well also to reduce itching on your scalp that many claim is caused from mpb. And it should be left on the scalp for 3-5 minutes not 1 and used 2-4 times a week.

I use Regenepure which is 1% keto not 2% but I can say that if after using it you then blow dry your hair it gives it so much volume it's not even funny. I'd use keto every few days for that effect alone.

Edit: personally the volume I get lasts a few days even. So very good.
    Hey Highlander, are there any sides to that shampoo?

regenepure was expensive, but compared to propecia/minox, not bad...25$ and itll last several months.