+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does ACell + PRP stop hair loss?

I am currently losing hair and am thinking about HT procedures. I am unable to decide the right procedure and the right doctor. Also, active research in new treatment is underway though no one can tell when a viable option will be available.

Right now I want to do everything possible to stop or slow down the hair loss.
    In terms of medicines, Propecia and Rogaine work for some people.

What about ACell + PRP injections without the hair transplant procedure? Does this help stop or slow down hair loss?

I would appreciate any input on this from the the experts on this forum and from people who have had just ACell+PRP injections.

Thanks in advance.

What about ACell + PRP injections without the hair transplant procedure? Does this help stop or slow down hair loss?
    The only FDA approved drugs in the United States are Propecia and Minoxidil to stop loss or grow hair. They both work wonders for me and millions of other people if used daily.

To answer your question, ACell and PRP were not manufactured to grow or stop hair loss for someone with male/female pattern hair loss.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

There are some physicians who do think that PRP might help slow down the hair loss process. I have never heard of any claims that ACell slows down or reverses hair loss. ACell has been promoted more for wound healing, helping to minimize scar formation, and improving grafts survival.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

The short answer is NO.

A few doctors offer ACell + PRP treatments as a stand alone procedure now.. I have not seen any one offer just PRP treatment.

Has anyone here had ACell + PRP only (no hair transplant) treatment done? If so, I would appreciate if you could share your experiences here.
    - What benefits did you expect before the treatment?
    - Did you get the expected results?
    - Would you recommend this fellow HT patients?
    - And if you don't mind sharing, who was your doctor.

Thanks

I do offer PRP as a stand alone treatment or in combination with ACell. I am sure there are also other doctors who offer this. Some of the patient results have been impressive with a definite improvement of the hair quality and a appearence of increased density. While other patients seemed not to have any noticeable improvement. I have never had a patients that had their situation get any worse form these treatments.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

Dr Charles

So some people see definite benefits from this procedure, specifically slowing down of hair loss, and there are no adverse effects.

There are many people who don't want a HT right now, and are taking propecia in-spite of being worried about its side effects. For these people, ACell+PRP (or just PRP) seems like a great option.

My question is why aren't more people opting for this? I started this thread few months back requesting people who have had this procedure done to post their experience. There has not been even a single reply! Clearly no one, at least in these forums which consists of some of the smartest and well informed hair loss patients, is getting this procedure!

WHY?

You are asking a very good question. I am surprised to hear that with the many doctors who perform these procedures that no patients have responded to your post.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

Dr. Charles, how much would this cost as a stand alone treatment? and how often do you do it?

Thank you for your time.

FTL
    Last edited by FearTheLoss; 03-05-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm going for PRP/Acell treatment next week with Dr. Cooley(Charlotte, NC). He charges $2500 for this. I would think you could find it cheaper though, but he is one of the best which is why I think he charges a bit more than others. I have heard Dr Greco(Florida) charges around $1000, but I don't think that includes Acell, so probably not the best comparison.

From what I was told by Dr. Cooley's representative, you should look at PRP as a hair loss innoculation, as it keeps the hair on your head for up to a year or 2. But it doesn't last forever. They also stated it has better thickening effects than finasteride, but who knows. Definitely were trying to sell the product pretty much, I have my doubts on what kind of results I will see, but I am desperate at this point. It does make me feel a little better hearing Dr. Charles state he has seen some impressive results, but at the same time it seems 50/50 on whether or not you will get any results at all. My hope is to stop my hair loss for around a year or so and maybe do it again and hope for the same benefit. Just trying to buy some time until something more proven comes out.

One person that had it done stated this when I PM'd them:

I did prp/acell twice. The first was with Dr. Cole and I believe that was in the fall of 2010. I do not believe it helped at all. Then in the beginning of June 2011 I had prp/acell with Dr. Cooley. Acell had become available in a powder form and could therefore be mixed more consistently with prp. Dr. Cooley told me I wouldn't see anything until about the 4 month mark and right on Q I definitely noticed progress in the crown. The only problem was the benefits seemed to wear off quickly thereafter. So maybe I noticed improvement by October and by March it had seemed to wear off. Not sure I had any improvement at the hairline. I have a bold spot at the crown with very sparse growth. Decent front hairline but accelerating. I would not do it again unless it is improved upon just b/c it didn't last long enough. But Dr. Cooley was definitely more professional of the 2 if you are going to do it.