+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Carlos Wesley, MD's Avatar

Default Do steroid injections help or hinder donor scar healing?

An article, recently accepted for publication by The Journal of Dermatological Treatment may help bring our field closer to answering the question "Do steroid injections help or hurt the wound healing process?" Carlos K. Wesley, M.D. served as the primary author of this investigation.

The single-center, prospective, randomized, controlled, single-blind study involved 57 patients that were undergoing hair restoration surgery in our clinic. The objective was to determine if injecting a corticosteroid called triamcinolone acetonide (TMC) would affect the early stages of wound healing in the patients' donor area. He used a Folliscope (magnified focused camera we use for detailed follicle analysis) to precisely measure the distance between the donor wound edges both at the time of surgery (once the donor had been closed) and again at the time of suture removal (8-10 days later).

While no statistically-significant effect on the donor wound edge apposition was revealed we did observe a trend: the administration of injected steroids appeared to help this early-phase healing in patients with minimal closing tension (e.g. much scalp laxity) and hinder this early-phase healing in patients with tight closures (e.g. no scalp laxity).
    Carlos Wesley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10028
    844-745-6362
    http://www.drcarloswesley.com
    info@drcarloswesley.com

I always wondered if steroid injections could stimulate hair regrowth WITHOUT a hair transplant. I know that they can work in patients with alopecia areata by suppressing the immune system from attacking the hair follicle, but I always wondered if they could be used as a stand-alone treatment to stimulate the dormant hair follicles in people suffering from androgenetic alopecia.

We need more research on this subject. Anything that can improve healing and/or improve scar appearances would potentially help many patients seeking resolve.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

It's an interesting idea, DepressedByHairLoss. And, wouldn't THAT make life wonderfully simple!

It's generally believed, as you mentioned, that corticosteriod injections are effective when they are blunting a body's overactive immune response. That's not believed to be the mechanism behind andogenetic alopecia (AGA) in men. Now, in women with hair loss it can be a bit more nebulous. Some physicians believe the local immune response on the hair follicle plays a much greater role in female pattern hair loss (AGA). Other women present with very subtle findings on their scalp examination that suggest an inflammatory component is involved in their rather diffuse hair loss. Those patients, rather than injections, may benefit from a topical application of corticosteroids (clobetasol cream) on a nightly basis for a stretch.

For gillenator and anyone else who's interested in reading the findings from our study on corticosteriods' impact on early-phase donor wound healing, here's a link to the manuscript:

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs...34.2012.755253
    Carlos Wesley, MD
    View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10028
    844-745-6362
    info@drcarloswesley.com

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Wesley, MD View Post
    While no statistically-significant effect on the donor wound edge apposition was revealed we did observe a trend: the administration of injected steroids appeared to help this early-phase healing in patients with minimal closing tension (e.g. much scalp laxity) and hinder this early-phase healing in patients with tight closures (e.g. no scalp laxity).
    Is that because steroid injection reduces swelling and therefore tension, decreasing the likelihood of a stretched scar down the road? If memory serves me, Dr. Cole mentioned to me that he does not observe strip scar changes until about 3 months post-op.

CITNews works at Dr. Cole's office

This is quite interesting.... I'm going to venture and say there is an enormous amount of folks including myself who would like to see a study done on the impact steroid injections make on a mature scar.

You are not going to find any benefit from using steroids in the appearance of a strip scar. Steroids have been used systemically in hair restoration surgery for well over 20 years with no benefit what so ever on the strip scar. Strip scars do not widen until the 3rd month so an 8 day study is completely worthless. Of course, if you follow your patients out to 3 months and then 6 months, then you can come to a conclusion. That conclusion will be that they provide no benefit what so ever. I think many strip physicians would like to think that there is a way to avoid unsightly strip scars, but the bottom line always remains the same. Strip scars are a function of individual patient healing and/or poor physician technique. Steroids are not going to have an impact on either cause.

Of note is that we use steroids locally in our tumescent solution to help minimize post operative edema. This edema works its way out of the area quickly due to gravity. While the steroids can help minimize edema in the anterior scalp, edema is never an issue in the posterior scalp. Yes, we also use the same tumescent fluid in our donor area.

ONe does need to be highly careful with injecting steroids in the donor area because they can cause fat atrophy and depressions in the donor area. In order to avoid this, you must minimize the concentration of the steroid.

Pro-inflamatory agents actually stimulate hair growth. This is probably why you can occasionally see enlarged follicles adjacent to strip scars.

i don't think you are going to find anyone treating female pattern hair loss with steroids either. Maybe forms of scarring alopecia, but not female pattern loss.

i read something about a method/device that closes wounds with no scarring...cant remember what it was, and it obviously is not out/widely-used....does anyone know what im talking about? will try to find out what it was lol

Dan, I wish. If you find it, let me know.

Thanks, 35YrsAfter, for your question. That's the fundamental question that this study set out to investigate: steroids' benefit of swelling reduction versus their potential inhibition of wound healing.

Rather than simply dismissing a valid question as worthless. Our office has taken the time to investigate the true effect of local corticosteroid injections on donor wound edge apposition. As Dr. Cole mentioned, there are certainly potential risks to corticosteroid injections in the donor area (wound dehiscence, etc.). These were not observed in our study that focused on early-phase wound edge apposition. It's also true that a more long-term investigation will yield more information regarding this question. I, along with its co-authors Drs. Walter and Robin Unger, plan to perform this subsequent study to shed light on this topic.
    Carlos Wesley, MD
    View my IAHRS Profile

1050 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10028
    844-745-6362
    info@drcarloswesley.com