+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is classed as depression?

For doctors to give you anti-depressants in the UK........how depressed do you have to be.

I regularly feel negative about my hair, I am daily self conscious about it. I am generally a worrier and have been an anxious person all my life and was especially shy when I was at school but am a lot better these days but still a pretty anxious person. I daily think about all the girls I should have had sex with in the past. I am heading towards my 30's and am thinking I have not lived life to the full, my hairloss and anxiety being the main restricting factors.

I am in no way suicidal. But feel low a lot of the time. People I work with would not know this as I am pretty normal around others. I just have negative thoughts about how shit my life is on a daily basis.

Is this worthy of anti-depressants or do you have to be pretty mental to be prescribed them?

sounds like your looking for them as confidence boosters. you dont have be "mental" to get them. when your depression is taken a hold of your life that you cant function or are not eating, sleeping,down, when feeeling worthless is causing you untold mental illness. then my friend, you my be a case for anti-depressants.

I would not say it is affecting my eating, sleeping habits. I just pause a lot and think about how crap life is. I can't see a tablet stopping that. I think I need some sex and a girlfriend and that will fix it.

no sex is just a self esteem issue that has no bearing for confidence. well thats what i felt, i mean ive slept with them thought it was great but still felt the same depression. its something for me but you could be different. get out there and start pulling.

I would think twice about this. Seemingly everyone in the US is on these drugs and they are a bunch of zombies. Grossly overperscribed, IMHO.

I disagree - I say go for it. You definitely have symptoms enough to be prescribed anti-depressants. Go to a doctor and get a prescription for some SSRIs. They have side effects and they don't work for everybody but unless you try them you will never know.

For some people they are extremely effective.

Just keep in mind that you probably don't have primary depression - you probably have body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) and depression is one symptom of that. Anti-depressants at normal doses may help with the symptom, but they won't address the underlying cause. To address the BDD you need to take medication to target the BDD.

And you know what medication does that? SSRI antidepressants, just at a much higher dose, and for at least 4 months.

I have taken them for BDD in the past (for something else, not my hair loss) and the effect was absolutely amazing. It doesn't make you suddenly like your BDD-affected body part, but it does stop you worrying, obsessing and dwelling on it. Life becomes much more bearable and the depression starts to fade as a consequence (because after all it is just a symptom of the BDD!).

Here is what I would recommend for you. They are in order, but if you don't want to do anything of them, just stop at any point along the order and deal with your depression however you want.

1. Buy a book off Amazon or borrow it from a library, it's called "The Broken Mirror" by Katharine Phillips. It will tell you everything to know about BDD and you will relate to the case studies and (I predict) you will realise that you have BDD.

2. Go to a doctor, tell him/her you're depressed and you'd like to try some anti-depressants. If you feel ready for it, tell the doc why you're depressed (your hair loss), but if you aren't ready to talk to someone about that, don't worry about it. GPs often aren't sympathetic about hair loss and will tell you to just deal with it.

3. Try the drugs for 3 months at the recommended dose. Expect sides but they should fade over time, the 3-6 month mark. If they work you will notice about 4-6 weeks in and then continually improve for about 6 months.

4. If they don't work after 3 months, go back to the doctor and tell them your issues with your hairloss. Don't hold back. Ask the doctor to up the dose to the effective dose for BDD (you can find this info in the book I mentioned above). If they don't want to, they may refer you to a psychiatrist. If they don't, ask for a referral to a psychiatrist.

5. Go to the psychiatrist, tell them everything. Do the BDD treatment under their supervision.

I know it sounds heavy, but really, what have you got to lose? You have a depressing condition that is seriously affecting your life and your happiness. The power to do something about it and potentially feel much better is in your hands.

This goes out to anybody who is seriously depressed over their hair loss. At the very least, try it. I can speak from personal experience when I say that when the drugs work the effect is amazing. The worrying and then stress and the obsessive thoughts start to fade and over time the depression improves too.

Quote Originally Posted by sausage View Post
    For doctors to give you anti-depressants in the UK........how depressed do you have to be.

I regularly feel negative about my hair, I am daily self conscious about it. I am generally a worrier and have been an anxious person all my life and was especially shy when I was at school but am a lot better these days but still a pretty anxious person. I daily think about all the girls I should have had sex with in the past. I am heading towards my 30's and am thinking I have not lived life to the full, my hairloss and anxiety being the main restricting factors.

I am in no way suicidal. But feel low a lot of the time. People I work with would not know this as I am pretty normal around others. I just have negative thoughts about how shit my life is on a daily basis.

Is this worthy of anti-depressants or do you have to be pretty mental to be prescribed them?
    Nearing 30? Seriously? You really are shallow. No wonder you're depressed.
    "Settling for a fat chick", "not being able to bang enough chicks" and getting a nice trophy-wife. Your problem is not on your head but inside of it. Dude, you're easily one of the most annoying and superficial users on this forum. You're right about worrying dieing alone. What kind of woman is going to settle for a bald guy with a bad attitude and the personality of a wet mop. Change that attitude and you'd be much better off.

the think is balding it can ruin your life and you are a living example as many of us are.I wonder how much can an anti-depressant help you accept that.Confidence is not given by a pill,in some cases yes but it depends.Balding is ugly and this is causing you low confidence but it has created you more abnormalities in your life.Some are living happy and some not,the younger you are the more you thing you'll be happy.

the think is balding can ruin your life and you are a living example as many of us are.I wonder how much can an anti-depressant help you accept that.Confidence is not given by a pill,in some cases yes but it depends.Balding is ugly and this is causing you low confidence but it has created you more abnormalities in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Nearing 30? Seriously? You really are shallow.
    LMFAO.

Your on a balding forum wanting your hair back like everyone else and you calling others shallow? WTF.

Most if not everyone wants to look good, most if not everyone wants a good looking girlfriend/boyfriend.

It's pretty normal!

Most girls are therefore shallow in your opinion because most girls do not find bald men attractive.