Anti Depressants???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Breaking Bald
    • Aug 2012

I know man, I am losing ground fast! But I'm honestly so scared about playing Russian roulette with my hormones. If I got ED can you imagine how much worse my depression would be? Plus I heard it can cause depression too?

I have suffered depression before hair loss as well due to family issues but now its pretty much down to my hair loss. But I am prone to being bipolar, it runs in my family.

Comment

• 25 going on 65
      • Sep 2010

Anti depressants helped me a little, but not much. I quit them.
      Your chances of experiencing sexual sides (including persistent ones) are as great or greater on anti depressants compared to finasteride. I had sexual sides on citralopram which was one reason I stopped using it.
      Funny enough, finasteride saved my sex life and probably has had a major role in treating my depression, in the sense of helping my self image. It is a huge burden off my mind to no longer be losing hair.

However for some people with depression, anti depressants are an important part of treatment. Everyone is different, also the dose can make a big difference as some people need much more than others. You can talk to your doctor about them. If you decide to try anti depressants I would recommend trying therapy as well.
      Some things that help me manage depression are exercise, sleep, diet, sex and work. I regularly self medicated with pot and alcohol at one time, but in my experience they were not good long term treatments. I was just desperate for immediate relief at the time. (However some people seem to respond positively to pot when using it for depression....again everyone is different)
      Good luck. I know how horrible it can be when you're depressed, and would not wish it on anyone

Comment

• Ktownmatti
        • Oct 2012

I've suffered from depression and anxiety since I was a teen ager. I have tried many meds, but don't tolerate any of them well as they all cause me insomnia. I have found CBT quite helpful, but honestly, exercise is my greatest weapon in the arsenal to fight it. I had a shrink once tell me that half of all low to moderate depressions are cured by excercise.

I think meds have there place - I just didn't do well on them.

Think of fighting depression like fighting hair loss - a multipronged attack will yeid you the best results. With proper diet, excercise, Managing work and life stress, CBT and possibly meds you can beat it!

Comment

• Exodus
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ktownmatti
          I've suffered from depression and anxiety since I was a teen ager. I have tried many meds, but don't tolerate any of them well as they all cause me insomnia. I have found CBT quite helpful, but honestly, exercise is my greatest weapon in the arsenal to fight it. I had a shrink once tell me that half of all low to moderate depressions are cured by excercise.

I think meds have there place - I just didn't do well on them.

Think of fighting depression like fighting hair loss - a multipronged attack will yeid you the best results. With proper diet, excercise, Managing work and life stress, CBT and possibly meds you can beat it!
          The above is the best option. Since noticing my hair shedding, I've joined a gym, Im eating better. Still waiting on decent treatments from my GP, appointment this week to look at my bloodwork...

But in answer to your original question, the above is good, but I think knowing you're actually 'taking it on' can also be a major boost.

Comment

• dex89
            • Jul 2012

Mind over matter.

My best friend was balding since high school and always had severe cyst acne and this guy doesn't give a rats ass. His in the chubby side and really paled. He never cares about what people think about him, he will laugh in there faces and walk away. I've never seen him depress or cry, always out and about doing fun activities. Hitting up chicks and just being him, his currently in the military and he doesn't give a flying ****. That's the type of attitude you need mate.

Comment

• clandestine
              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Highlander
              On the inside he's hurting.
              Mate, stop projecting yourself unto other people.

Comment

• Dan26
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Highlander
                On the inside he's hurting.
                You have to get over the fact that there are actually people out there living and enjoying life, not obsessing about physical features for every moment of their existence.

Comment

• Wiffle
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Breaking Bald
                  I am 99% sure that I am bi-polar but I have never been diagnosed, some days I get major depression, its like a really heavy, uncomfortable feeling. This isn't just related to hair loss but it has certainly made it A LOT worse It's gotten to the point that I don't even want to do things that I enjoy that alleviate depression like playing music, I don't even want to get out of bed anymore.

Does anyone on here have experience with anti-depressants and had success with them? Can you recommend something?

I am scared of them and have heard horror stories but I don't think I have a choice anymore, I don't know what else to do Exercise isn't enough, alcohol just makes things worse, I used to smoke a lot of weed but can't get a hold of it anymore, though it did help.

Please help!
                  Well, they may well go hand in hand actually (and not just psychologically) - as inflammation is present both in baldness and depression.

I have fought very severe depression all of my life; in and out of hospitals, some very serious stuff.

Here's my take:

first, you need to talk to someone - and not someone you know, or it will ruin the relationship, you will be/feel a burden.

Second, you need to move around; one of the things I notice in me and others is that a depressive episode always accompanies a steady slowing of movement, a dwindling of interest in doing anything, until I'm just staring at walls for no reason. BE AWARE of this - and just MOVE. Get up in the morning and MOVE. MOVE ALL DAY.

Third, keep to a strict and regular schedule in terms of eating and sleeping.

Fourth, don't isolate yourself.

Fifth, don't touch alcohol.

Sixth, EXERCISE - A LOT! IT's anti-inflammatory.

Seventh, use anti-depressants sparingly. When things get really bad so you can snap out of it. They kind of give you a breather so you can put yourself together again.

Eighth, take fish oil and eat an anti-inflammatory diet.

Ninth, realize you are loved.

Comment

• Breaking Bald
                    • Aug 2012

Thanks all the good advice everyone. I think I will avoid ant-depressants for the time being and I agree it may be best to talk to somebody first. I will look into CBT, I think that will be the best approach for me.

Comment

• Exodus
                      • Nov 2012

CBT is a good approach man. Let us know how it all goes!

Comment

Working...