Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Breaking Bald
    • Aug 2012

Anti Depressants???

I am 99% sure that I am bi-polar but I have never been diagnosed, some days I get major depression, its like a really heavy, uncomfortable feeling. This isn't just related to hair loss but it has certainly made it A LOT worse It's gotten to the point that I don't even want to do things that I enjoy that alleviate depression like playing music, I don't even want to get out of bed anymore.

Does anyone on here have experience with anti-depressants and had success with them? Can you recommend something?

I am scared of them and have heard horror stories but I don't think I have a choice anymore, I don't know what else to do Exercise isn't enough, alcohol just makes things worse, I used to smoke a lot of weed but can't get a hold of it anymore, though it did help.

Please help!
  • Exodus
    • Nov 2012

About 4 years ago I used Sertraline, Citalopram and Fluoxetine. In all fairness I felt no difference, tired and generally like crap so I came off them.

I guess for long term use they may or may not help, for me, it was dealing with the root cause of the issue.

Whats really helped me so far is CBT, Cognitive Therapy is great as it really does set a perspective. If you wanna chat, do PM me.

Comment

• clandestine
      • Aug 2011

Meditation, quality therapist, and CBT (as above poster mentioned).

Depression is not an easy road, but it can be managed.

Comment

• Breaking Bald
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Exodus
        About 4 years ago I used Sertraline, Citalopram and Fluoxetine. In all fairness I felt no difference, tired and generally like crap so I came off them.

I guess for long term use they may or may not help, for me, it was dealing with the root cause of the issue.

Whats really helped me so far is CBT, Cognitive Therapy is great as it really does set a perspective. If you wanna chat, do PM me.
        How long did you receive Cognitive Therapy for? I mean it all depends on how good the therapist is right?

Comment

• Breaking Bald
          • Aug 2012

My depression has been on and off for the last three years really. I masked the problem for too long smoking green and now I am having to deal with the reality of it. Doesn't help that I moved to a new city, live alone and don't really know many people here.

Comment

• BigThinker
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Breaking Bald
            My depression has been on and off for the last three years really. I masked the problem for too long smoking green and now I am having to deal with the reality of it. Doesn't help that I moved to a new city, live alone and don't really know many people here.
            I suffered from anxiety and depression for a while. It was around 2 years ago, and I saw a Dr. about it. He prescribe me something (I don't even remember what), which I took every day for a month. I remember it would give me stints of mild euphoria (bit of an oxymoron, I know). Overall, it didn't do much.

I decided to start exercising and kept on smoking lots of ganja. It really has helped me. I'm not here to promote the use of illegal drugs, but damn it has meant everything to me.

Comment

• Delphi
              • Mar 2009

First of all, it's good to see a productive thread in this area of the forum! I was on prozac and other antidepressants for a while and while I do believe they helped I think it's best to stay away from them if possible. Therapy with a good therapist and exercise helped me more than anything. I also stopped drinking for the most part, which at first was difficult because it made me forget in the short term, but in the long run was the best decision for me. Alcohol is a depressant and if you drink a lot, it really messes with your head the next day.

Talking it out with an objective third party who knows what they are doing can really help. Diet can help a lot with your mood also. You can beat depression for sure, you just have to really work on it.

Comment

• inspects
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Breaking Bald
                I am 99% sure that I am bi-polar but I have never been diagnosed, some days I get major depression, its like a really heavy, uncomfortable feeling. This isn't just related to hair loss but it has certainly made it A LOT worse It's gotten to the point that I don't even want to do things that I enjoy that alleviate depression like playing music, I don't even want to get out of bed anymore.

Does anyone on here have experience with anti-depressants and had success with them? Can you recommend something?

I am scared of them and have heard horror stories but I don't think I have a choice anymore, I don't know what else to do Exercise isn't enough, alcohol just makes things worse, I used to smoke a lot of weed but can't get a hold of it anymore, though it did help.

Please help!
                Breaking,

Not to add fire to the flame, but anti-depressants can cause hair loss, as well as so many other medications do.

I hope you find something to help besides the medication route, which also have so many other potential bad side effects.

Comment

• Jan 2012

Breaking Bald, did your depression by any chance started after you started using fin?

Comment

• Breaking Bald
                    • Aug 2012

2020 I have never taken fin so no, although I understand that is a possible side effect. I am too scared to take fin for the various side effects, especially because I am only 22.

I would prefer not to take any meds for depression really, maybe I should just start smoking weed again, at least it helped

I anyone is interested in the subject I just watched this interesting documentary by Stephen Fry

I am pretty certain I have manic depression as I go from extremes all the time. There isn't really a definite answer with how to deal with it really.

Comment

• Jan 2012

lol the difference between depressed people and non-depressed people is not the lack of prescriptions to anti-depressants... go for a walk or something. Anti depressants and hair loss will yield you 100 million results on google.

Comment

• Breaking Bald
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by 2020
                        lol the difference between depressed people and non-depressed people is not the lack of prescriptions to anti-depressants... go for a walk or something. Anti depressants and hair loss will yield you 100 million results on google.
                        I don't think it is as simple as that mate!...Going for a walk will not solve my problems.

Comment

• J_B_Davis
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by 2020
                          It's not that simple 2020, it's a real disease that some people are prone to more than others.
                          I do think all of us here have suffered with depression to varying degrees though. When I was about breaking bald's age I felt hopeless and was extremely depressed. I chose to get on Propecia which helped me with my hair loss and my depression but I think I was prone to depression way before I started to go bald. Delphi's suggestions are good ones as I have been exercising quite regularly for the past 5 years and find it very therapeutic. It's gives me an outlet and when I am finished with my daily routine I am in much better sprits for many hours.

I do think that I have a chemical problem, but I don't want to take medication for it. I've been getting through it quite well and have more good days than bad days now. Drinking always makes it much worse for me the next day just like Delphi suggested.

Comment

• Breaking Bald
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by J_B_Davis
                            It's not that simple 2020, it's a real disease that some people are prone to more than others.
                            I do think all of us here have suffered with depression to varying degrees though. When I was about breaking bald's age I felt hopeless and was extremely depressed. I chose to get on Propecia which helped me with my hair loss and my depression but I think I was prone to depression way before I started to go bald. Delphi's suggestions are good ones as I have been exercising quite regularly for the past 5 years and find it very therapeutic. It's gives me an outlet and when I am finished with my daily routine I am in much better sprits for many hours.

I do think that I have a chemical problem, but I don't want to take medication for it. I've been getting through it quite well and have more good days than bad days now. Drinking always makes it much worse for me the next day just like Delphi suggested.
                            Yeah maybe a therapist is my best bet, shame they cost so much! What age are you now may I ask? Are you depressed now still?

Comment

• Exodus
                              • Nov 2012

Hey Breaking Bald

Im 22 too and also thinning whilst on no medication at the moment. I won't lie, I hate waking up and seeing my hair thin, I hate looking in the mirror sometimes and seeing how people would judge me.

But also, I try and try to go on with life as best as I can because I know in some areas, people really don't give a f*** if Im bald, they don't. Like at work, no one gives a crap, I just do my job, carry on as normal.

My work paid for my counselling, six 1 hour sessions of CBT has given me a whole new perspective, Im trying to get to the gym too (easier said then done) and just focus on other things.

My advice is, if you are feeling down and pretty down, a combination of CBT, Anti-depressants (through a GP or therapist) would be beneficial. Plus if you're using hair meds, my friend, I would say carry on with life, you're fighting your battle and that has to be your motivation, it will become mine.

Comment

Working...